The Cake You Said No To...

Decorating By angelas2babies Updated 6 Apr 2007 , 2:10am by jamhays

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 58

I have a pending cake order that I just don't want to do.

Got me to thinking-was there a cake order that you just said, "no" to? For whatever reason, senseless or not? Was it because the cake was too complicated, the customer too hard to get along with, or you just weren't in the mood?

What cake orders did you all turn down?

Angie

57 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 58

Well, I have turned down a lady many people around here know as "Power Point Lady" -- twice. Far too difficult to please, extremely high expectations for Wal Mart prices.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 58

Another cake decorator referred a lady to me who needed a last minute cake and wanted something that was outrageous, a very difficult type of frosting and she wanted it for next to nothing.

Modeled gumpaste of a very detailed face. Whipped cream frosting. Fresh strawberries when they weren't in season, etc. etc.

I laughed at her.

Rachel

angelas2babies Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 58

I can't tell you how many times I tried not laughing at people's requests. icon_smile.gif Thank God for the phone-at least they can't see me trying to keep my composure!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 58

I turned one a lady who wanted as her wedding cake two hedgehogs dressed in bride and groom outfits. Turned my stomach.

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 58

I've only just started selling, so I'm not too picky (right now anyway) icon_biggrin.gif

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 58

I had a lady at work ask me to do an Anniversary cake for her parents. It was for 150 people, tier, etc. She asked me on Tuesday and wanted it for Friday. I just happened to be doing my daughters wedding cake for the following Saturday. She actually asked why I could just "whip" hers out! Like I didn't have enough on my mind with my daughters wedding! I forgot to mention, on top of decorating the hall, doing the cake, plus all of the other Mother of the Bride duties, I had 7 out of town guest staying at my house!!!
Like I keep saying, they just don't get it!!!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 58

I make cakes for fun and if asked rarely say no. Only cake I refused to make was a request from my daughter to make a fathers day cake for her husband who is always in jail and even when he's not, does not support his family. I really would not have enjoyed making that one and the only thing I could think of making was a cake that looked like a jail cell. Dude can't be a decent human being, dude can't eat my cake!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 58
Quote:
Quote:

Dude can't be a decent human being, dude can't eat my cake!!

Words to live by. icon_biggrin.gif

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 58

Well, I just turned two down this past week. The first was for a lowfat anniversary cake for two days before Passover. My kitchen will be completely turned over for Passover and it is extremely difficult to make a lowfat Passover cake because they use so many eggs instead of standard leavening. I am actually still trying to figure out if this is possible, but I don't think it will be. The customer doesn't know I am still trying to figure this out because I didn't want the pressure. If I can come up with something soon, I'll let him know, if not, no surprise.

The second was actually for Passover. The person is extremely hard to please and wanted a low fat, sugar free, splenda free cake. The only sweetener that was acceptable was Sweet n' Low, which I have no experience using, and it shouldn't taste low fat or sugar free! I told her the only thing I could make that would fit that description was meringues! She wouldn't be happy with anything I make anyway...she's never happy with anything I make (of course, it's a relative!)

Kathi

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 9:47pm
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by selahmycat

..... She actually asked why I could just "whip" hers out! .....

these people are everywhere!

I had a co-worker who was amazed that I started baking wedding cakes on Wed or Thurs prior. She actually thought I baked a 3-tier plus 5 satellite cakes the morning of the wedding!

my father-in-law has owned his own auto repair garage for 50 years and he frequently tells stories of "....while you're changing the oil, could ya "slap in" a new transmission, too?" they think it's a 5 minute job to "slap in" anything.

So it's become a common joke at our house of how I can "just slap together" something overnight! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 9:57pm
post #12 of 58

I would say no to private parts cakes I am so not a prude but no thanks

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 10:02pm
post #13 of 58

It's difficult sometimes to say no. I have been really lucky and have only had really nice people to work with that I have let me come up with something cool and they have been really happy with it.
The only time I had to say no was a few weeks ago, I was recovering from being sick, I told her I would let her know the next day if I felt better. I did but then my youngest got sick so I told her I did not feel comfortable doing it. I was the one most dissapointed.

Good luck!

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 10:20pm
post #14 of 58

When they want the pretty cake in the picture from brides magazine that you know costs $4000 and she want's it for $500. I want to call them cheap
(#^(^%#&^&^#%. Also, the ones who want a cake 2 days before a birthday, a birthday they knew was coming since their kid was born.

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 10:22pm
post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingandsprinkles

As I was reading through the thread, I thought "I have or would never turn down a cake based on a design request"....until I read this. This would be where I would draw the line too!

Unfortunately, I have had to turn down 5 cakes and 2 wedding cakes in the last month as we sold our house and are moving across country.

I am so sad because I don't know anyone where we are moving to and I will have no clients! icon_cry.gif Oh well, life goes on.

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 10:24pm
post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingandsprinkles

AMEN to this!..On the top of my price chart I have ABOLUTELY NO NAUGHTY CAKES WHATSO EVER! Then someone called me a couple weeks ago and asked if I would do a boob cake I said "NO"..I had a family member to borrow a couple pans from me when I went to pick them up and saw what she was making I said never again will I let you borrow my pans that will be used for anything like that!
When I said Absolutely No Naughty Cakes I meant it.

notjustcake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 10:51pm
post #17 of 58

toilet cakes and bloodly cakes too!

rstml Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 10:58pm
post #18 of 58

I guess I wouldn't do a kitty litter cake either...that's just gross.

notjustcake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:05pm
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstml

I guess I wouldn't do a kitty litter cake either...that's just gross.

yeap I love my cat but hates his stinking litter box!!! no litter cakes!!!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:06pm
post #20 of 58

I agree with all of you!!!!!

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:13pm
post #21 of 58

RSTML....I see you are moving to Michigan. Welcome to the "neighborhood" icon_smile.gif MI is tough to get licensed (have to have a seperate kitchen to work at home)...not sure if that's something you wanted to do...just wanted to give you a head's up. I wanted to work from home because I'm a stay at home mom and wanted a little extra income...oh, well! Anyways, welcome to MI! Jodie

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:17pm
post #22 of 58

The first time I saw naughty cakes I couldn't believe it. I found it fascinating at first that someone would want a cake that looks like a litter box or a toilet. How could you eat it? Who would you invite to eat it with? Strange. I really don't know if I would make one or not. I guess if I was asked for one, I might try. I don't think I could eat one myself and I definately would not want one at any party I was having! The only time I could see that a body part cake was called for is maybe bachelor/ette parties. I don't know...just what I think.

rstml Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 11:23pm
post #23 of 58

Thanks JRAE33! I've seen threads about how complicated it is in Michigan. We are thinking of having a building built on our property, but are still looking into it. Keep in touch!

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:08am
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezaly

I've only just started selling, so I'm not too picky (right now anyway) icon_biggrin.gif

Just give it time....... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:24am
post #25 of 58

Rstml- Good Luck on your move. I love Michigan- well parts of Michigan. I live just south of the border in Indiana.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:10am
post #26 of 58

I guess you could do one of those "gross" cakes if you really really disliked a person! LOL Not.....JK!!

rstml Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:21am
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momkiksbutt

I guess you could do one of those "gross" cakes if you really really disliked a person! LOL Not.....JK!!

icon_lol.gif Funny! But, it sure wouldn't taste gross...so no cake for them!

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 7:30am
post #28 of 58

i would love to do some adult cakes but no-one ever orders them! i have jus bought debbie browns naughty cakes so hopefully i can convince someone! i too draw the line at toilet/kitty litter cakes - i can never understand the need to do those, just gross.

angelas2babies Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:14pm
post #29 of 58

I didn't even think about naughty cakes. A few people that saw my bikini cake launched into conversation about nude cakes and I said, "WHOA!!! That cake was for my sister who was going to Miami for vacation right after her birthday, so I thought it would be funny. I don't do graphic cakes."

So, I think there is a difference between suggestive and raunchy. icon_wink.gif

The Debbie Brown book is tastefully done. I think she has a new book called "Extra Naughty Cakes" but I haven't seen its contents.

I know this may sound insane, but some lady wants me to make my frog cake for her, and not only will I probably undersell it because I don't want people thinking I'm over-pricing, but I just don't want to re-create the same cake. I know...just say it....I'm being unreasonable. icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:50pm
post #30 of 58

Yes, I agree! If I get a request for a 'naughty' cake, I direct them to Debbie Brown's website to look at her Saucy Cakes and Naughty Cakes books (I have her new Extra Naughty Cakes on pre-order!). If they like on e of those designs (or something along similar lines), then I'm happy to give a price. That's as graphic as I wish to get - I have kids, I mean, how would I explain one of those really graphic cakes to them?! Besides, the thought of eating one of those just turns my stomach - no thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%