Ok Here Comes My Dumb Question!!

Decorating By domesticgoddess Updated 26 Feb 2006 , 9:51pm by ccoth

domesticgoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
domesticgoddess Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 12:59am
post #1 of 18

Baking cores. I know that you use them to help the cake bake even. I even saw a few people use flower nails? How do you use them? Won't it leave a hole in the cake? Help me out here ladies!! LOL!
Heather

17 replies
subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 1:03am
post #2 of 18

I asked the same question when I first joined. No so dumb after all, huh?
I understand, you grease and flour the nail and put in the pan, upside down, then add the batter. this is to help the cake bake evenly. I personally haven't tried it yet.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 1:04am
post #3 of 18

With a flower nail, you simply place it head down in the pan and pour your batter into the pan. Bake as usual. When you invert the cake to get it out of the pan, just pluck the nail off the cake. It does leave a hole but it's not very big. It disappears as soon as you ice the cake!

I haven't used the baking core but I hear it's a bit more complicated.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 1:11am
post #4 of 18

I have used the baking core. All you do, is grease/flour the core (inside & out) just like you do the pan. Then pour the batter into the pan and a little into the core. When the cake is done you remove the core, empty the cake from the core and "plug" the hole. Then you can invert the cake as usual. It sounds more complicated than it really is. I haven't tried the nail yet. I learned about that here just recently.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 1:26am
post #5 of 18

I have used both and prefer the flower nail. You have to try it when you bake a large cake. It helps the middle cook "faster".

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 1:33am
post #6 of 18

The core can be a pain to grease and flour, so I use the Pam spray with flour in it for that piece and other pans that have lots of nooks and crannies. I haven't tried the nail yet.

poppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppie Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 1:52am
post #7 of 18

No question is dumb that is how we learn. I like the nail it works great.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 1:58am
post #8 of 18

I personally like the flower nail. It works really works well in 3 inch deep pans. icon_smile.gif

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 1:58am
post #9 of 18

The flower nail works great. Igrease my cake pan, put my batter in like normal. Then I spray the flower nail well with Pam and turning it upside down push it down through the batter until I hit the pan bottom right in the center of the pan. Then bake like normal. I found that when I placed the nail before filling the pan that my nail would tip. It does make the cake bake more evenly, especially when baking larger cakes.

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:21am
post #10 of 18

I've used and like both. I use the core on 11X15 and nail on smaller sizes. I use what I think is called Cake release from Wilton and spread it in the pans, and in and on the core, or on the nail with a brush and have had great results.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:36am
post #11 of 18

I love the nail idea! How easy and we all have nails! I am going to try it tonight. Thanks

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:39am
post #12 of 18

I just used a nail for the first time in a 8x3 pan and it did not work at all. The middle took so long to cook and ended up sinking. I thought the nail was supposed to prevent this?

scrapbookermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapbookermom Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:44am
post #13 of 18

Are you sure it was touching the bottom of the pan? It has always worked for me...

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:45am
post #14 of 18

I use the cake extender recipe when doing box cakes. The second time i used the nail, my cake sank in the center. Of course that was because i forgot to add the oil and water. icon_redface.gif I was wondering why the batter was sooo thick icon_rolleyes.gif
I haven't been using the nail that long, so I wonder too why yours sank? Doesn't that sometimes mean that it wasn't beaten long enough? hopefully someone with more experience can answer...

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:50am
post #15 of 18

I put the nail in, then the parchment, then poured the scratch batter. Steph, I read somewhere that beating too much can make it sink. The recipe I used call to beat it for 3 minutes, stopping to scrape. I did, I even used a timer! I think 3 minutes was too long.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 3:55am
post #16 of 18

It is hard to say why it would sink? Scratch cakes are kind of crazy sometimes. They sink from a slammed door in the housde, or thudding feet next to the oven! I doubt it had anything to do with the flower nail.

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 10:03pm
post #17 of 18

I've used the core and it works just fine, just spray the inside and out with pam, set it in the pan fill it half way then fill your pan. I didn't know the flower nail trick before I bought the heating core otherwise I think I would have tried it out first.

ccoth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccoth Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 9:51pm
post #18 of 18

What size pan do you use a core in? I just baked a 10" and it took a LONG time for the middle to cook, now I'm baking a 6 in. and the middle isn't cooking, but it's RISING! Ugh! (This is for my class 3 final tomorrow!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%