Wilton Classes

Decorating By DeniseFL Updated 19 Mar 2007 , 12:18am by theecakelady47

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 20

How many of you took the wilton class, and felt in love with cake decorating??? I just started last monday and can't wait to start to decorate!!! This forum is also helping me a lot, it gives me more enthusiasm every time I log in here....Thanks everybody!

19 replies
scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 20

I am in the Wilton Course 1 right now..next week will be my 3rd class. I went a tad crazy and made a couple of practice cakes right after my first class (you can see them in my photos). I love it!!

Have you done the rainbow cake yet? If not here is a hint...buy some extra tips and couplers to do the rainbow. It will save you ALOT of aggravation of having to change out the coupler and tip from bag to bag. I was the only one who did so and my classmates were wishing they had!

Lisa

P.S. What area from Florida do you live? I am in the Orlando area.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 20

yup. I started last May with the Wilton classes. I saw the classes offered in Michaels and thought it would be fun to do. My husband took them all with me, and we had a great time learning and SPENDING money on Wilton stuff!

And you live in Orlando???? I'm sooo jealous! It's snowing right now in NY. I hate the cold! Not to mention, we're HUGE Disney fans. We normally head down there for a park vacation or cruise twice a year. LOVE IT!

DeniseRoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseRoy Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 20

I also started with the wilton classes and got addicted now I teach them and love doing it.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 20

I just finished up Wilton Fondant and Gumpaste. In the past year, I've completed all four of the Wilton four-session courses, and then I thought "now what?"

I used to decorate as a hobby, starting in high school, learning from my mom and from the Wilton Yearbooks (I started collecting them in 1984), but when I saw the Wilton Instructor at the Michaels where I work doing a demo, I decided I should actually take the classes. I've never looked back. My WMI is awesome - she got me excited about decorating again, and she recommended that I become a WMI myself and start teaching in our store.

Guess what - I got my instructor number a couple of weeks ago, so now I can pass on what I love to do!

And, of course, I'm totally addicted to this site! I know I can't log in unless I've got at least an hour (preferably more). And thanks to CC, I've "discovered" MMF, WASC, and so much more!

Enjoy your classes - they only get better and better!

ps - I find I want to make cakes all the time now!

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 20

I just finished up course 1. Debating about course 2. I'm more interested in course 3 & 4. I just cannot get the rose down but then I haven't had time to practice due to finals. I really liked my instructor although we don't get much done in class we did get personalized individual attention and I like to decorate by myself in silence. I just love this site!

Kelley

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 20

I was decorating cakes before I took the classes for years for my children's birthday's, etc.....I began to really develop my baking and everyone raved about the taste of my cakes...that's when I decided I wanted them to look as pretty on the outside and they tasted on the inside.......thus I took all the Wilton Classes and was hooked......I ended up showing the instructor how to make the fondant roses but I had a total blast. I'm in Orlando too!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseRoy

I also started with the wilton classes and got addicted now I teach them and love doing it.

ME TOO! Well, I haven't actually STARTED yet. I have met the manager. Have set my schedule and set to being April 9, 2007! I'm EXCITED!

I LOVED my Wilton Instructor. She is still teaching and has now FINALLY opened her own cake business on a part time basis. Has gone from 2 classes a week to FOUR classes a week, which doesn't surprise me. She is awesome!

My fav of her sayings "Don't panic! It's ONLY SUGAR!"

Beth in KY

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 20

I loved my Wilton classes. My teacher was awesome! I was the same as you I got so excited about decorating cakes and wanted to make them all the time! I still am! I love trying new ideas. Now I am trying to go back in some of the books and practice things I don't use on my regular cakes. It was a great investment for me. I was never able to make a rose and now I can. After Course III I loved making the fondant roses better than the buttercream now! Which reminds me I need to make some this weekend! Enjoy your classes!

Kweed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kweed Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 20

Hi DeniseFL, My name is Karen. I have been doing this for over a year now. I too took the Wilton classes and am now a Wilton Method Instructor. It does not pay much, but I love teaching others and being involved in this environment. You will discover that there is not only the Wilton Method out there, but others as well. I found that the Wilton Method is a great foundation to build from. I recently won a cake contest, no biggy. I also noticed recently that my Wilton instructor also won a cake contest for a mother's day cake. It was a woman in a bathtub, filled with bubbles. It may still be in the photo gallery. Good luck in your future endeavors and keep reaching.

Karen

Kweed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kweed Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 20

Hi DeniseFL, My name is Karen. I have been doing this for over a year now. I too took the Wilton classes and am now a Wilton Method Instructor. It does not pay much, but I love teaching others and being involved in this environment. You will discover that there is not only the Wilton Method out there, but others as well. I found that the Wilton Method is a great foundation to build from. I recently won a cake contest, no biggy. I also noticed recently that my Wilton instructor also won a cake contest for a mother's day cake. It was a woman in a bathtub, filled with bubbles. It may still be in the photo gallery. Good luck in your future endeavors and keep reaching.

Karen

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 20

Karen...Can you give me a general idea of how much a Wilton instructor gets paid? Is it standard or does it depend on which store you teach at?

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 20

I started the classes in order to make 'healthier' cakes for my kids. That was in October. I have taken every class and now I just got my WMI # and start teaching in April. I was also wondering 'what next'. So I mentioned nonchalantly to my hubby about the Master Course (WMI get discount) and will be going to that this year. I just want to learn everything I can about it. I love teaching and will be going from $42/hour to ....well, the love of teach cake decorating! icon_smile.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 7:53pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

I started the classes in order to make 'healthier' cakes for my kids. That was in October. I have taken every class and now I just got my WMI # and start teaching in April. I was also wondering 'what next'. So I mentioned nonchalantly to my hubby about the Master Course (WMI get discount) and will be going to that this year. I just want to learn everything I can about it. I love teaching and will be going from $42/hour to ....well, the love of teach cake decorating! icon_smile.gif

Just like the MasterCard Commercials:

1) Wilton Course 1 $22.50
2) Wilton Course 2 $22.50
3) Wilton Course 3 $22.50
4) Wilton Course 3 $22.50 (When they introducted fondant)
5) Gas to get to Wilton Classes Total $150.00 est.
6) Cost of all "extra" cake toys Unmentionable
7) Becoming a WMI....

PRICELESS!!

Beth in KY

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm
post #15 of 20

LOL!!! How true Beth! Wilton should use that as an add campaign for WMI's!

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:24pm
post #16 of 20

I am in Course II and missed my second class (for reasons unavoidable). I am so upset that I missed. I hope I am able to "catch up" by reading the book and doing the stuff at home. icon_sad.gif

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 4:15pm
post #17 of 20

Thank you very much for all replies!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

Crystal914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal914 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 6:34pm
post #18 of 20

I did and I just love my class. It's so much fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

Countryatheart32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Countryatheart32 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 12:08am
post #19 of 20

I just started my Wilton Class I and I am hooked. I just had my third class and can't wait for next week. I am definately addicted to decorating now. I think I made 5 cakes already! LOL I am so glad that I found this site. It is so helpful! I have already tried several things that I would not have known about unless I found this site. I made cake balls for the first time this week and also made MMF. Thanks CC!

Countryatheart32
icon_biggrin.gif

theecakelady47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theecakelady47 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 12:18am
post #20 of 20

I never knew about classes when I started. I did most of my learning through books, but I did take course 3 for the heck of it, and it was fun, and I wish CC woulda been around when I first started. Shoot, I dont even think computers were invented yet...hahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%