Dream Whip Icing-Chocolate Version?

Decorating By monizcel Updated 16 Mar 2007 , 9:20pm by monizcel

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:16am
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone,

I was going to make the Dream Whip Icing by dragonwarlord1969 (I love this recipe)!!! but I wanted to make a chocolate version (that still crusts, so I can smooth with VIVA towels or Melvira's method.

Here is the original recipe (thanks dragonwarlord!). Can I just add 3 squares melted unsweetended chocolate when adding the shortening? I'd prefer to use chocolate over cocoa powder.

Would unsweetend or semi-sweet chocolate be better.

TIA icon_lol.gif

7 replies
monizcel Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 8

anyone? Bump.

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 8

I'll give you a "BUMP" too cause I would like to know the answer to this also.

monizcel Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 8

I tried the dream whip icing recipe and added in 3 squares of melted unsweetened chocolate and 1 square of melted semi sweet chocolate. It turned out pretty good but I'm not sure if it is chocolatey enough. I will need to wait until DH comes home to see what he thinks!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 8

I'm not sure that the Dream Whip icing recipe crusts.. I wouldn't think that it would, but I could be wrong.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

I'm not sure that the Dream Whip icing recipe crusts.. I wouldn't think that it would, but I could be wrong.

Crusts beautifully. I have only added sifted cocoa powder to make chocolate, I will have to try the melted choco bars.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

Yep, sure does!

monizcel Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 8

DH came home and tasted the 2 chocolate buttercream versions I made (one was with Dream Whip) and the other was the Wilton Chocolate Buttercream.

He liked both, but ultimately prefers either chocolate ganache or the Duncan Hines canned chocolate frosting, if I am going to cover a cake with chocolate frosting.

I have to say I agree with him. I love the Dream Whip Buttercream I normally make, and will continue to use this recipe for most of my cakes (since I usually need to color the icing). I will stick to chocolate ganache for my chocolate frosted cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%