I'm A Quiter!!

Decorating By SILVERCAT Updated 16 Mar 2007 , 6:11pm by SILVERCAT

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:26am
post #1 of 31

Well I had my second night of course three tonight and walked out after an hour and half! I tried three times to cover my cake with fondant asked the teacher what to do when I ran into problems. She wouldnt get up and show me or help me! So I gave up after the three times. Than we moved onto the rose. I treid and tried and tried some more and couldnt get it, I asked what to do once again everytime I ran into problems again she wouldnt get up show or help me! So at that point I myself gave up and called it quits! We than moved onto the bow. Since I didnt have my cake covered, what was the sense in making the bow and the cut out flowers! But I was still following the book and watching what everyone else was doing. She than realized that I wasn't doing what I was suppose to do. SHe asked I told her, there was no purpose of me doing it. BUt I understood what they were doing. She said since I wasnt doing the work that I should leave bc I was wasting my money. So once she said that I grabbed my stuff and headed out! I told them that I would NOT be back! Sorry for rambling on but I had to share! Thanks Megan!

30 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:34am
post #2 of 31

What a rotten teacher. I would call Wilton and report her. Yuck. I'm sorry you had such a negative experience!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:39am
post #3 of 31

How awful for you! I had the best Wilton Instructor so I can only imagine your frustration. Is there any where else you can take a class?? I would definately complain to Wilton!! Good Luck!

jstump Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstump Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:42am
post #4 of 31

Sorry for your bad night, sounds to me though from what you wrote that you tried & the teacher was not very helpful. I would be aggrevated too! It's your $ what's it matter to her what you do with it?

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:44am
post #5 of 31

I am a wilton instructor and would NEVER act like that. I would call wilton and report her and call the store she works at. How aweful.

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:45am
post #6 of 31

Wow what a horrible experience!! I would definitely complain to someone about her. That just isn't right!!

Did you ever watch this tutorial?

http://www.atecousa.net/learn/index.shtml

It has helped me out a lot. Maybe it will teach you better than the not so great wilton instructor. Are you getting your money back?

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:48am
post #7 of 31

At this point I dont even want to finish the course right now. I think I will wait til the fall of this yr. I havent really had the best time with her in any of the classes! I know the pics in the books are pics but come on the things we learn are suppose to atleast look somewhat like the book, I think she was teacher her way! I may even look into taking private classes or atleast NOT wilton!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:49am
post #8 of 31

I would definitely contact Wilton and the store as well!!! That really is ridiculous! When you have a job that works and deals with the public you should actually be willing to deal with the public. You were by no means asking her to go above and beyond what she was supposed to have noticed on her own anyway....the fact that you needed a little extra help! Isn't that why it is called a "class"???? Don't let her make you give up though!!!! Keep on keepin on girl!!!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:54am
post #9 of 31

Did she have super glue in her chair or something?? You definately need to call the store and call Wilton. I'm sure they do not want someone like that working for them!!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:57am
post #10 of 31

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I took the Wilton Course I and then started the Course II. In the Course I we had a huge class and I didn't feel that the instructor spent enough time on us individually. I did better by just reading the book and practicing at home. I didn't like working with the royal icing and got quite flustered. I quit the Course II after two sessions. Didn't want to take Course III because I don't like fondant and I didn't want to work with it. My daughter took all three courses but the classes had thinned down so she got more one on one in the third course. She does good with fondant but cannot do buttercream roses at all.

Our teacher was sweet as she could be but the class was just too big. You should report her and ask for your money back.

Diane

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:59am
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERCAT

Well I had my second night of course three tonight and walked out after an hour and half! I tried three times to cover my cake with fondant asked the teacher what to do when I ran into problems. She wouldnt get up and show me or help me! So I gave up after the three times. Than we moved onto the rose. I treid and tried and tried some more and couldnt get it, I asked what to do once again everytime I ran into problems again she wouldnt get up show or help me! So at that point I myself gave up and called it quits! We than moved onto the bow. Since I didnt have my cake covered, what was the sense in making the bow and the cut out flowers! But I was still following the book and watching what everyone else was doing. She than realized that I wasn't doing what I was suppose to do. SHe asked I told her, there was no purpose of me doing it. BUt I understood what they were doing. She said since I wasnt doing the work that I should leave bc I was wasting my money. So once she said that I grabbed my stuff and headed out! I told them that I would NOT be back! Sorry for rambling on but I had to share! Thanks Megan!

Oh No! icon_surprised.gif Report that teacher to wilton. She is not doing her job. She is suppose to show you how to do each step. My instructor was fabulous! she showed me how when i needed help. Every body 's different in learning. You are like me, i like hands on. And the gall to tell you to leave because you are wasting your money/ Your money is already wasted, for you have paid up front! Please don't give up. Go somewhere else to somebody that will show you how. But above all report her, she is not doing her job.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:08am
post #12 of 31

My sister had a horrible teacher with her first experience. She is retaking the courses at joanns. She wrote a letter to wilton complaining. They called her and was going to look into it. The sent her the cupcake book as an appology.

Judi

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:11am
post #13 of 31

I would go back & get there early just to put super glue in her chair. She would then actually have a reason to not get up. Yes, this is mean. icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif In all seriousness, I would report her to Wilton & the store. Ask for your money back.

MommyBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyBunny Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:11am
post #14 of 31

Just know you are not the only one with a bad instructor, just hang in there. I would get my money back to say the least esp. since she ASKED you to leave.

Keep the faith and I am sure you will find some way to make this a cloud with a silver lining.

Patricia

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:15am
post #15 of 31

You're wasting your money?! No, try SHE is wasting YOUR money!! You signed up for a class, she is the teacher, she should be teaching you! Like the others said, you should contact the store mgr about this situation..it's possible there have been other complaints. Sorry!

Lisa

sirius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:18am
post #16 of 31

omg - it sounds as though this woman should be replaced a.s.a.p. i hope you don't take this setback to heart and make yourself more frustrated than necessary. everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and like everything in this craft, only practice and more practice brings results.
what exactly did you have the problem with? i'm sure we can all pitch in to give a little advice.
hang in there.

jendalain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jendalain Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:18am
post #17 of 31

Oh, I am so sorry. What a horrible experience for you. I too think you should call the store and wilton to report her. The instructors are there to instruct and she failed to do that.
I would so go back and be the PITA of the class! I would demand her to teach me!
Again, I'm so sorry.

Please let us know what you decide.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:19am
post #18 of 31

I'd talk to the manager of the store right away. She's an employee of the store, NOT WILTON, and I'm sure the store would want to know that she's not actually doing her job. I'd also let Wilton know too. That is totally unacceptable.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:32am
post #19 of 31

Report her

My instructor came to us one by one stood over us and watched to make sure we were doing it right.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:37am
post #20 of 31

That is terrible treatment and awful publicity for Michaels and Wilton. Not every Wilton instructor is good, and some of them may not even want to be there. But if you have paid for the class, and they have been paid to teach that is what they should do. I would contact Michaels store manager, and the divison manager, then I would contact Wilton and let them know what happened here.

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 8:14am
post #21 of 31

Thank you everyone but as I see it right know I think I will take a breather from it all and wait til the fall to finish but at another location. I know covering a square cake is hard but it cant be that hard! I tried three times last night in class and got reallt up set after I found a piece of hair in my fondant that I had bought for class, I couldnt possibley put that on my cake when I saw it! I couldnt get the cake covered and kept asking what I was doing wrong and she would or coulnt get up and work with me on it. As I looked around at everyones cakes that were covered they were HORRIBLE looking! I mean I know we are all learning there but come on there is only 6 to the class, they shouldnt have looked that bad! And she kept telling people if they had a crack or line to put a flower over it, WTF? I will never go back to that store again! Like I said I will take a break and any questions I have I will come here adn ask! When I do decide to take another class I might even look into private classes! Thanks again everyone!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:19am
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiser73

Wow what a horrible experience!! I would definitely complain to someone about her.

I would too.... both the place where I took it and then Wilton as well..... I mean come on, thats why you were there you to learn and the teacher to teach and help!

I'm sorry for your night.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:32pm
post #23 of 31

I cheat icon_rolleyes.gif

When I make a square present cake I fold the ends over as if I was wrapping a present.

Works for me icon_wink.gif

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 12:35pm
post #24 of 31

silvercat....give us the number to Michael's and we'll call and complain for you!

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:19pm
post #25 of 31

Janette,
that is what I ended up doing last night, I thought it looked better that way anyway! I did cut some of the fondant off before I folded it over!

It was Michael's either!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:23pm
post #26 of 31

Oh, most definitely call Wilton. They do not tolerate such treatment of students, as students are their best customers. Make sure you go back - you paid for that class, and even if you just sit there, you have every right to attend.

I did not read through all the posts, so I do not know if anyone else offered this, but here is their number -

1-800-794-5866

Theresa icon_smile.gif

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:28pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniellemhv

I am a wilton instructor and would NEVER act like that. I would call wilton and report her and call the store she works at. How aweful.

I'm also an instructor and have to agree. Wilton needs to know about this. She represents them and is doing a poor job of it.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:29pm
post #28 of 31

Okay, this is terrible! I'm a high school teacher, and I would never treat a student who was trying like this. I tell my kids as long as you're trying I will bend over backwards to help you! Just to give you support, you didn't do anything wrong! You were trying and she was unwilling to help you. You hung in there and she was unwilling to work with a willing (and paying) student. She should be fired! I bet Wilton woudn't like to hear that their name is being besmirtched by someone like this. There was absolutely no excuse for her to ask you to leave. Boy am I steamed with you and for you! icon_mad.gif

But, you just hang in there -- you WILL get those techniques! thumbs_up.gif

Sarah

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:40pm
post #29 of 31

My instructor told us that when doing a square cake start with the corners first. The one lady in our class that did that did a great job with the fondant. I've never done a square cake so I can't give you this advice from personal experience.

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:46pm
post #30 of 31

Bottom line is she was not acting in a professional way that represented Wilton (which is what she was doing). Take a breather look around for other classes (check your community colleges as some do offer cake decorating classes) and start new. Make your complaint and get your $$ back. My Wilton teacher was great. She gave us her personal phone # if we EVER needed help, but the most important thing she told us was to just keep trying and to not give up. Practice, practice, practice were her last words as we would leave. Also, this place that you went to for classes probably already knows how bad this teacher is, especially when she treats her students in that manner in front of other students. They probably were as discouraged as you. Good luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%