Rice Paper Question

Decorating By msmanning2 Updated 18 Feb 2006 , 1:44am by izzybee

msmanning2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmanning2 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, I went to this international food store last night because I have been dying to try decorating with rice paper. They had some, and I bought it, but I am pretty sure it isn't the right kind. The rice papers are round (the size of tortilla wraps) and they have raised indentions on them, so it isn't completely flat. Can I use these or is there a different kind I should look for? Thanks a bunch for the always helpful advice!

4 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 5

The rice/wafer paper I use is white, flexible but fragile and textured on one side, smooth on the other. It's potato starch based. You can use either side of the paper.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 5

Are you rice papers also very hard and thick? Then yes it is the wrong one, those you can soften and make things like egg rolls out of. The rice paper I always see is rectangle shape....edible paper is something I have heard it called before too. Our Bulk Barb in Canada has it in the cake decorating section....you may be able to order if somewhere too..

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 1:39am
post #4 of 5

The only kind of rice paper I have seen is rectangle. It was white and textured on one side. I have not seen any that was round before.

I am able to get it at a cake decorating store.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 1:44am
post #5 of 5

There was a whole thread about this the other day. The rice paper you need is also called Wafer paper and as far as I know, it is mainly available on-line. I just bought some on sugarcraft. 100 sheets for $16.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%