Neon Food Coloring

Decorating By steph95 Updated 12 Aug 2016 , 6:22am by laling

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 15

I was wondering if anyone has used the Mccormick neon food colorings yet. I've always used paste colors in icing, so I was wondering how just plain 'ol food coloring works in icing.

14 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 15

Can't help you about the Mcormicks brand but I have used the Americolor Electric Neon colors and they are great!!!

steph95 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 15

The stores around here only carry Wilton. I see Americolor being sold on line. do you find it a better product, or just easier for you to access?
I was thinking about using neon pink on a cake to be delivered tomorrow and was hoping that someone has had experience in using regular food coloring in icing. If not, I'll have to make due with something else... Thanx for your reply.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 15

steph95--
Get Americolors--you will not be disappointed. CC here has an awesome price. You don't have to use as much of these as the Wilton's. And sometimes, I get dark specks in my icing with Wilton's but not with Americolors. I will never buy Wilton's colors again.

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 15

If you add a little of the Wilton lemon yellow you will get a neon looking color - just add it slowly. I did this for a fish themed party back when I didn't know that Americolor existed.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 15

I have used the liquid mccormick in icings before.....you just have to adjust the consistency a little with more powdered sugar, less milk, etc.........because it will water the icing down some.

steph95 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 15

I need neon pink. Will wilton work the same with their pink as with their yellow? I'm going to have to order Americolor. Do they come in the same style jars like Wilton does?

steph95 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 15

Sorry Khalstead, we must have posted at the same time. Thanks for your reply. I feel safe trying the Mccormick now!!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 8:30pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph95

I need neon pink. Will wilton work the same with their pink as with their yellow? I'm going to have to order Americolor. Do they come in the same style jars like Wilton does?

Americolor containers are much better too..they are the squeeze type ones, with a flip top, so no more toothpicks!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph95

Wilton's Rose color makes a bright pink.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 12:54am
post #11 of 15

I used to use Wilton's Pink and put quite a bit for a bright pink. Let it sit before adding more.

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 1:12am
post #12 of 15

I have to agree with the previous posts about the Americolor. I am so in love with this stuff...it's nuts. Only a cake nut could be in love with a food color icon_biggrin.gif Anyway I highly recommend you try it. You will not be disappointed and will probably never go back to Wilton. I used Cake Craft colors (which I also liked better than Wilton) before I found AC, but now I am slowly fazing out of those too. Especially for the vibrant colors. I will probably stick with Cake Craft for the pastel colors but when you need deep and bright colors...AC is the best. IMHO thumbs_up.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 2:11am
post #13 of 15

As much as I hate to say this!! I have used the neon Mccomick.. When I did my daughters Tinkerbell cookie cake.. Here it is.. it was very bright!
LL

steph95 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:13pm
post #14 of 15

Your Tinkerbell cake is cute. That's the type of cake that needs those bright colors. I tried using the neon pink. It turned out ok, but now as neon as I wished. After I put it on the cake, I ended up not using it anyway icon_rolleyes.gif So sorry to take up everyones time, but at least I know that I am able touse it. I'm anxious to get a hold of Americolor since everyone raves of it so much...

laling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laling Posted 12 Aug 2016 , 6:22am
post #15 of 15

Hi, 

I have a customer that wants his cake to be decorated w/neon colors so it can "glow" in the dark.  Will the neon food coloring do that.  Has anyone had this experience?  And what did they use to make it "glow".  Please help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%