Ganache

Decorating By mich1 Updated 19 Feb 2006 , 8:58pm by BalloonWhisk

mich1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mich1 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 31

Hi, I was wanting to try making ganache today and was looking at the recipe on this site but I have a silly question. It calls for 1 oz of sugar. How much does that measure out to in a measuring cup. Also how do you put the ganache on the cake. Can you spread it or is it to thin for that? This is my first try with it and I am a little nurvous. If it is really thin how do you put it on without making a mess? Thanks for any suggestions.

Michelle

30 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 31

the longer you let ganache sit.....the thicker it gets, if you refrigerate it......it will really thicken up almost like a dense fudge. So basically after you make it you just allow it to sit as long as you feel necessary to get the thickness you're after....some people like to pour it over a cake for a thin, smooth, glossy coat......others like to wait for it to thicken up and use it like you would any other frosting.....I personally when using ganache like to pour it on the cake......then allow the rest to thicken and then pipe decorations on the cake with the rest of it.......I think cakes are so beautiful all done in the dark brown. As for the sugar, you really don't need it unless you're using an unsweetened chocolate. 1 oz. would be 1/8 of a cup.....so....2 Tblsp. however I always make mine with semisweet chocolate chips and cream and it always comes out good not too sweet, but just enough to not be bitter. hope this helps

Niki7227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki7227 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 31

You should not need to add sugar to a ganache. Ganache is a proportion of cream and chocolate, and nothing more.

Perhaps this isn't a true ganache recipe. In that case I can not help you further without seeing it.

mich1 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 31

KHalstead,

What is your procedure of pouring it over the cake. Do you just stack the cakes on cooling racks and pour it over like that, and if so do you just lift the cake carefully to put on cake board. Sorry about so many questions, I just have never done this before and would love to try.

Michelle

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 31

questions are not a problem......always glad to help.......yes I put the cake on a cooling rack and put a piece of wax paper underneath( you could just stick a cookie sheet under though) to catch all of the drippings.....I don't like to clean anymore dishes than necessary LOL. Then I just pour it right over top, I usually just let it hang out there for about 15 min. until it sets up a little then I use a large spatula and go under the cake and transfer it to my cake board.....you will get a little bit of an unfinished look around the edges on the bottom....which is why I always like to use the rest of the ganache to pipe a boarder or something around the bottom....looks really pretty too

mich1 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 31

Thanks for the help, I guess I will give it a try today.
Michelle

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 31

Mich1 try the recipe. You will love it. I developed that recipe when I used only Bittersweet Chocolate. Adding the sugar took a little bit of the bitter out but left just enough bitter in. If you know what I mean.

Quote:
Quote:

I added sugar when I first started to make ganache because I used only bittersweet. But now I only use callebaut and it doesn't come in bittersweet (at least not here) but I still add the sugar because it is not as sweet as some of the chocolate out there. So all my chocolate recipes are based on callebaut chocolate

By all means leave the sugar out if you have a really sweet chocolate

Quote:
Quote:

You should not need to add sugar to a ganache. Ganache is a proportion of cream and chocolate, and nothing more.

Perhaps this isn't a true ganache recipe. In that case I can not help you further without seeing it.

Niki7227 I hope you know why I added the sugar to the recipe now.

From some of those that have tried the recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ

Cheftaz, I just wanted to tell you that I used your ganache recipe this weekend and LOVE it! I threw all my other ganache recipes away. THANKS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda

I used your recipe to make 4 Valentine's cakes for family Chefatz & my SIL who is a SERIOUS chocoholic said it was the best cake she's ever tasted & absolutely LOVED the ganache!!
So thanks VERY much for that recipe - it was a hit with all my family & so easy to make & work with. And I loved the taste of it using only baker's squares - maybe next time I'll splurge & go for a better quality chocolate & really knock their socks off!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyPJ

Cheftaz- I used your ganache recipe yesterday and liked it much better than the recipe I'd been using. Adding the butter really did help keep it shiny! And it piped beautifully after I refrigerated it for a while.
Thanks for sharing!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 31

cheftaz-- I tried your ganache also--LOVE IT! I made a cake for my bosses B-day and one of the employees ordered two more just like it on the spot!

Niki7227 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 31

My concern is that the sugar won't dissolve completely and there will be graininess in the ganache.
Traditionally you don't add any sugar to a ganache; you use the proper type of chocolate for the desired level of sweetness. If your chocolate tastes too bitter to you then I would try a differet chocolate. You'd probably have better results. You could also add some Grand Marnier to it, or whatever liquor you desire to bring out the flavors.

acquarius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acquarius Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 31

Cheftaz, can you please give me a copy of your ganache recipe? You got me!

Is the sugar it calls for powdered or granulated?

Also, does it call for whipping cream? If so, what can I use for whipping cream substitution? I have a hard time getting whipping cream in my area, actually I can't find any!

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 31

When I used Chefatz's recipe I used bitterseeet baking squares & the sugar that it called for. I didn't find it grainy at all! I did have some lumps of unmelted chocolate but that's my fault for not stirring well enough & breaking the pieces small... icon_redface.gif I was being lazy....

acquarius Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 31

Swoboda, can you please give me a copy of the recipe? Do you have any idea on replacement for whipping cream, incase the recipe calls for it?

Thanks many.

Marcia79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcia79 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 31

I want a copy too!!

And I also have a question: Whenever a recipe calls for cream, do they mean coffee cream or heavy whipping cream!? hehehe... I use heavy whipping cream for my ganaches, but last time I guess I added more cream than I was supposed to and the ganache was more like a souce. Thank God I had baked a cake for my husband and I only! heheheh... icon_redface.gif

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 31
karizkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karizkakes Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 4:31pm
post #15 of 31

This is my first post, so I hope I do it right.

Here is the ganache recipe I found of chefs
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2116-0-Chocolate-Ganache-1.html

I'm asssming this is the one she's talking about.

By the way, you guys are awsome thumbs_up.gif . I hope to be as good as some of you one day![/url]

cheftaz Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 5:10pm
post #16 of 31

The (granulated)sugar 1oz (2tbls) dissolves easily because you heat the cream to boiling. I have made this too many times to count and not once has it ever been a problem. Omitting the sugar because you use a sweeter chocolate than I use will not affect the texture. I do strongly suggest using the butter though to keep it really shiny. Try it with or without the sugar and next time adjust it to your own personal taste. Personally I always add the sugar and from what I read from others it has not been a problem

acquarius Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 5:34pm
post #17 of 31

How long can this ganache stay outside of the fridge once placed on the cake. Thanks.

cheftaz Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 5:43pm
post #18 of 31

Don't know how long you plan on leaving it out or how warm it is there. I have brought it out for before a dinner party and an hour or so after we ate we had the cake and left it on the counter covered til the end of the night and ate some more and it was still fine. Ganache and buttercream are definitely best enjoyed at room temp.

Niki7227 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 5:45pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftaz

The (granulated)sugar 1oz (2tbls) dissolves easily because you heat the cream to boiling.

That's probably why it dissolves. You should never boil the cream. That effects the flavor. You take it off the heat before it comes to a boil.

Any recipe I've ever seen for ganache never uses sugar. Some use corn syrup for truffles, but that is for a different application.

Either way my point is that with the right chocolate, you should not need any sugar. I just think you'd be happier using a different chocolate.

acquarius Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 5:53pm
post #20 of 31

Cheftaz, I usually make and decor. the cake the day before and just deliver the next morning. Temp here are avg. around 95F

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 5:53pm
post #21 of 31

I use toba Garretts recipe and it says to bring the cream to a boil and then remove it and add the chocolate. I have made this numerous times and it tastes amazing everytime. Bringing the cream to a boil has never effected the taste.

cheftaz Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 5:56pm
post #22 of 31

Niki7227 if you read the recipe it says "heat cream, sugar and butter to boiling" I don't actually let it sit there boiling away.

Quote:
Quote:

The (granulated)sugar 1oz (2tbls) dissolves easily because you heat the cream to boiling.

Notice the "to boiling". Yes boiling cream would affect it because it is easily scorched but also by adding sugar to the cream prevents this from happening.
Don't know what chocolate you use but like I said I only use "callebaut" which is a really good chocolate. One of the reasons is because it is not as sweet as some of the others out there.
I don't think I would be happier using a different chocolate because I have yet found 1 I like better than "callebaut"
Like I said many times over you don't have to put the sugar in if you don't want, BUT I have yet to hear any complaints

cheftaz Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 6:00pm
post #23 of 31

acquarius If it were me I would make and decorate and then refrigerate over night simply because it sounds awfully hot where you live. I wish it were like that here. Right now it is -12c with the wind chill

Quote:
Quote:

I use toba Garretts recipe and it says to bring the cream to a boil and then remove it and add the chocolate. I have made this numerous times and it tastes amazing everytime. Bringing the cream to a boil has never effected the taste.

Thank you
Euphoriabakery

Niki7227 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 6:28pm
post #24 of 31

Most people believe that boiling does effect the taste. I'm not trying to start a debate here, I'm just saying what I've heard by many professionals. You stop before it even gets close to boiling.

It just doesn't make sense to me why you'd add the sugar. To me that's masking the true flavor of the chocolate. Plus I think you're taking a risk using the granulated sugar. If you're happy then that is fine.

I'm just trying to help enhance the flavors!

Edit to add - You can leave ganache out for a bit.

acquarius Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 7:49pm
post #25 of 31

Cheftaz, Wish I could send u some sunshine...

Thank you very much for answering.

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 11:11pm
post #26 of 31

I used this recipe and I did add corn syrup for the shine look, but it didn't happen. I had to spread mine on. It was very thick. Did I let it set up too long? My chocolate was in big chunks so I had to wisk it for a long time to melt it all that may have taklen too long, but I wasn't sure. I have a picture in my profile, you can see I hide (Or tried to) the chunkness by sprinling w/ cinn. and powdered sugar.
TIA

cheftaz Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 2:57am
post #27 of 31

I wouldn't have added corn syrup because the butter will keep it shiny. Also I never whisk it because I don't want air bubbles. I always just gently stir until it is all melted and blended. I always stir from the center out, after I added the cream and let it sit for about 5 min., because the center is the deepest part of the bowl. The sides tend to cool down faster so by stirring from the center out you are slightly heating the sides again which have cooled slightly. This gives you a well blended and smooth ganache without air bubbles.
The longer you let it sit the thicker it becomes.
I never melt my chocolate, I let the heated cream do that

Marcia79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcia79 Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:30am
post #28 of 31

I've asked this before, but here it goes: When the recipe calls for cream, is that heavy whipping cream or coffee cream??? (For many of you it's a dumb question, but I don't really know the difference between them...heheh...)
Thanks everyone!

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 4:21am
post #29 of 31

Whipping cream or heavy cream (same thing in some areas, in other areas heavy cream has more fat and is the better choice), not half-and-half or coffee "creamer".

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:04pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonWhisk

Whipping cream or heavy cream (same thing in some areas, in other areas heavy cream has more fat and is the better choice), not half-and-half or coffee "creamer".

BalloonWhisk, when you say not half- and -half do you mean evaporated milk in the can. Just wondering as I wanted to try this recipe and thats all I have on hand until I can get back to the store. Also (keeping in mind I have never tried this) if I poued this over my cakes do I let it setup before stacking, thanks for any adviceicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%