Ganache And Stacking Question... Need Your Expertise

Decorating By cyriaca Updated 17 Feb 2006 , 7:54pm by parismom

cyriaca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyriaca Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 8:41am
post #1 of 10

i am making a cake for my FIL birthday and am stumped. 1. a want to use the pored chocolate ganache. i assime i pour it over the ove a cake rack so the extra can run off. how do i move that cake?
2. i want to make it a 2 teired cake do i pour the ganache over both cakes at the same time again worried about moving them (kina a clutz, dropped a cake last week in the garage and smashed my china plate in the process icon_cry.gif )
3 is there a way yo make the teired cake so you can cut through both layers at the same time i.e no cake board on the top cake? i am using a round bottom and heart top.
thank you thank you thank you... racked my little brain over this

9 replies
whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 10

I'm curious as well.. so BUMP! LOL

luvfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvfondant Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 10

icon_smile.gif You don't have to pour the Ganache right when the cake comes out of the oven..Ganache is "pourable" after you boil the cream then add the chocolate and butter. Whether you cake is hot or cold, it does not matter.

2) for the two tiers, yes it's possible to stack two layers together without a board in between the two layers, as long as those layers are not heavily decorated. My suggestion is, if the the two layers come out very tall after stacking them, insert a dowels ( 4 at least) at the center so they won't move and slip. thumbs_up.gif

cyriaca Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 10

thanks

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 10

I kind of disagree with lufondant. I believe that a cold cake is not what you want because

Quote:
Quote:

The key is to pour the ganache while still warm because it pours easy and really coats and levels itself well, and make sure cake is not cold before pouring because a cold cake will instantly start setting your ganache which is what you don't want.

But at the same time don't pour your ganache right when the cake comes out either. Let it cool to room temp then pour your warm ganache

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 10

You can look in my pictures, I made a 2 tier ganache covered cake. I cooled the ganache down a little and I worked from the top and smoothed it down. I just covered it like I would buttercream.

luvfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvfondant Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 10

I didn't mean refirgerator cold or freezer cold, what I meant was totally cooled at room temp.. icon_cool.gif

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvfondant

I didn't mean refirgerator cold or freezer cold, what I meant was totally cooled at room temp.. icon_cool.gif

Okay that makes more sense icon_confused.gif

cyriaca Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 10

parismom your cake looks great did u pour it over the two cakes already stacked? did u put a board under the top one

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks! I didn't pour it. I just smoothed it on like I would buttercream. With a big angled icing spatula. I started from the top, then smoothed the sides. Then the top of what was visible of the 1st layer, then moved on to the sides of that. I did this on a turntable with 4 or 5 little pieces of waxed paper that I pull away after I iced. It leaves the bottm clean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%