Sandra Lee Semi Homemade Epidosde - Creative Cakes

Decorating By MariaLovesCakes Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 3:26am by lsawyer

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 6

I am not a fan, but I really like this episode on Creative Cakes.

She made white cakes and then on this particular one, she used different color dissolved in water gelatin and then sprinkled over the cake the different color gelatin to create a rainbow color looking design. It was really pretty.

I was wondering though, I have a recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum Cake Bible for a white cake. Would it be sturdy enough for fondant?

I am making a cake for my daughter's birthday with the them of Barbie and the Magic of the Rainbow, which is the latest DVD that came out, and thought that this cake would be a good idea.

Has anyone made the White Cake from the Cake Bible?

Here's the link to Sandra Lee's episode:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_36090,00.html

Oh, just to add. On this link below, she added sprinkles on to the cake batter, and then baked it. She had the rainbow color effect as well. Then she used different color gels to create the effect on top of the icing.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_36089,00.html

5 replies
jackieaugusto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackieaugusto Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 6

I havent made the white cake, but I made the yellow cake (I forget the name but its her #1 pick from all the recipes in the book) and I have to admit that no one liked it. The texture was very bad and the taste worse. I was so disappointed since I looked forward to it. I've baked for over 15 years and I didnt see that disappointment coming. However, maybe it was just that one recipe. I suggest trying the recipe out before the event just in case so that you see the texture and taste it.

Sorry I couldnt help more, but at least I can bump you up! Jackie

MariaLovesCakes Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 6

Hi, Jackie! And yes, thank you for the reply. From the Cake Bible I have tried the chocolate cake recipes and I have to say that the Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe is DIVINE!!! I made it and it was melt in your mouth kinda a cake. Really, really good!

Now, the one I wanted to try is the White Velvet Butter Cake recipe which I have been told is excellent and someone here uses that recipe for her wedding cakes. She says is the one people request the most.

I will make it and try it with fondant.

It should be fun!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:22am
post #4 of 6

What about the white almond sour cream cake? That's super sturdy (especially with pudding and milk used) and it's a hit always! Just a thought.

Sarah

MariaLovesCakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:07am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

What about the white almond sour cream cake? That's super sturdy (especially with pudding and milk used) and it's a hit always! Just a thought.

Sarah

Thank you. I will take a look at it!
icon_smile.gif

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:26am
post #6 of 6

Can you add a box of puddng and an extra egg to make it more sturdy??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%