Is My Kitty Slowly Dying?

Lounge By bakingupastorm Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 6:48pm by cakesbyjess

bakingupastorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingupastorm Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 37

When I came home last Friday night I noticed that my cat had very labored breathing and her pupils were very dialated. I took her to a vet where she stayed overnight on oxygen and came home Saturday afternoon but had to go back Saturday night because of more labored breathing. We took her back again a third time on Sunday with another labored breathing episode and on Monday we took her to another vet for a second opinion.
The vet at our weekend animal hospital couldn't diagnose her after three x-rays but put her on Clavamox and Bronchiodialator and Prednisone.

Our "second opinon vet" took one look at her x-rays and diagnosed her with asthma and kept her on the same meds that the first vet gave us.
Assuming the she did eat on Friday she hasn't eaten again since then and that would be 5 days now. We have tried lots of things, every flavor of canned cat food, plain yogurt, canned tuna, chicken broth, beef broth, softened butter, scrambled egg, baby food with no onion in it. We called second opinion vet and said that she still wasn't eating and he told us that he has done everything that he can for her. She has taken a few drinks of water and has kept using her litter box but those are the only noticable improvments I've seen. She also has stopped grooming herself and only moves when she wants a new place to lay down. She is responsive to us petting her and talking to her but that's about it. I smeared some yogurt on her nose last night and she gagged on it so I quit trying.

36 replies
jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 37

bakingupastorm,

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. Could she have possibly been exposed to something that is making her sick. A new kitty food or litter maybe. It almost sounds like a reaction to something. I hope she gets better soon. Sending prayers to you and her. Lots of hugs

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 37

I'm not a vet, but this doesn't sound too good. Your poor cat must be in a lot of pain right now. Hopefully one of the vets or vet assistance on CC will see this thread.

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 37

Ok . . . this is definitely serious and you need to get her into an emergency hospital or speciality practice ASAP.

I work at an emergency hospital in southern California . . . in no way have you exausted your options!

Cats can have asthma . . . generally treated with a depo-medrol injection if severe . . . but thats not a great option because long term steriod use is going to cause bigger issues later down the line.

Honest answer??? I'm not a vet--I just work for one--but I would wager a guess that a lot of patients who have serious pulmonary issues generally have an underlying cardiac condition. Basically, from having heart disease your pets can develop fluid around their heart and/or lungs. This can cause them to have major breathing problems.

The not eating thing leads me to worry more about her kidneys though. Most elderly cats end up in renal failure--its just a fact of life with these poor guys. Many times you will find out about renal failure due to a dramatic weight loss, change in appetite, etc.

In any case, a pet that has not eaten in 5 days should be hospitalized on IV fluids immediately--thats just plain common sense! I'm so frustrated for you that neither vet has done more of an extensive workup than the xrays! What about lab work? What about an ultrasound???

I don't know where you are located . . . but generally with vets the rule of thumb is that you get what you pay for. (Unfortunately.) My best recommendation would be to get to a 24 hour emergency hospital or internal medicine practice . . . and if thats not available in your area . . . find a reputable vet who charges a bit more than the rest. It doesn't guarantee the best care, but its a good chance to take. (In my experiece the lesser qualified vets charge less to keep people coming in . . . and these are the people who are more interested in a bargain than quality medicine so they never notice the difference.)

Good luck with your kitty. . . hopefully you can find someone willing to work harder to save your pet soon.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:29am
post #5 of 37

I speak from experience. I am a registered Vet Tech with 15 years experience.

Cats have asthma. It is life threatening. Kitty needs supportive care to get through this episode.
That said, You need to take the cat to a ER and get on an IV and in an Oxygen cage. You will be suprised how much those two vital things will turn life around for kitty. The question is..and it is a big question...when Kitty comes out of oxygen How long will it be before another attack? You don't know and won't without trying it.

Blood work also needs to be done to determine organ function. Depleating oxygen levels aren't good for organ function.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 3:44am
post #6 of 37

If cats stop eating for a while, they get fatty liver disease (seems like an oxymoron).

Here's some info:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/hepatic.htm

http://www.eattheapple.com/sandra/

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/liver.html

HTH

bakingupastorm Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 37

Well thank you all for your support, well wishes, advice and prayers. Unfortunatly our little Tippie passed away on her own last night around 7:15pm and the county animal ER
She was having more labored breathing last night, was hiding behind the toilet and meowing and I've never heard her make a single noise except purring.
The vet (which was a different one from all the others) and the animal ER was so sweet. We got her there about 6:15 and at 7:20 the vet called us into a private room. She explained to us that when we got her there they put her on oxygen and she quieted down but Tippie had stopped breathing and when she tried to find a heartbeat she couldn't find one and that her body temp was 93 degrees.
She put Tippie in a private trauma room so that we could say our goodbyes and when we were ready to go home she brought Tippie to us through the back door so we wouldn't have to take her through the waiting area.
We called "second opinion vet" when she was startignt o have trouble and he told us that he couldn't do anything but we could take her to another one that he recommended (which was 22 miles away) I called them and all they could do was make her an appoinment for the next day! Why would he recommend someone so far and closed? Why did he give us the "blow off"? I just want to go spit in that vet's eye right now!! icon_mad.gif
My poor mother. Tippie was her little lap kitty and she is so heartbroken about her being gone. I'm trying not to cry right now but it will be so hard to go home and Tippie wont be there. icon_cry.gif
Bless my mom's heart. She has spent over $800 trying to save this kitty. She said to me last night when we were bringing Tippie home, "I don't care how much I've spent, I just miss Tippie." icon_cry.gif
The "second opinion vet" offered to have a radiologist that comes in once a week to look at Tippies x-rays for $35-$50. I swear if he sends us a bill for that I'm going to call them up and tell them that they didn't even ask if she was still alive before doing that. I'm so mad at him!! How come no one ever mentioned bloodwork?
Tippie's suffering is over and ours has begun. She is better now and we'll all be better with some time.

Thank you again to all my sweet, caring and understanding CC friends.

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 37

So sorry for your loss of Tippie! I will keep you, and your mother in my thoughts, and prayers!

mewie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mewie Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 37

I'm so sorry to hear about Tippie. Our pets become such a part of our live, its hard to accept that they are not there. My thoughts are with you and your family and I hope each day gets a little bit easier for all of you.

Michele

NEWTODECORATING Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 37

I am sooo sorry for your loss. I feared this last night as I read your symptoms. They hold such a large piece of our hearts. I am glad that at the end of her life you were brought to a kind and compasionate vet.

It will take time. The pain will lessen, but not go away.

Your family is in my thoughts.

At my hospital we send a grapevine wreath to the family with this poem attached.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 37

I am soo sorry!

My cat is going to be seventeen and they always have asked my to have a blood panel done. It can provide many things about the cat. We have a great vet and they have always been good to us. I hope that her memories will bring some happy thoughts!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:38am
post #12 of 37

Sorry to hear that.... pets are family for sure and I know how they can hurt when they go.

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:17am
post #13 of 37

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby icon_sad.gif

-Lisa

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:28am
post #14 of 37

I'm so sorry for the loss of your belovd kitty. I had to put my most precious 15yo kitty down in November. It was heartbreaking. Once your pain has lessened, maybe you will be able to find another cat for your mom. It won't be the same, but there are so many loving animals that need a good home.

Cindy

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:39am
post #15 of 37

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Tippie. Pets are such a wonderful part of our lives, but it hurts so much when they are gone. I hope that time will heal your pain, and your mom's, too.

bakingupastorm Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 4:57pm
post #16 of 37

Thanks again everyone for all of your comforting comments.

I want to also say a special thank you to all of those CCer's out there who work in animal healthcare and animal rescue. You are all truly angels for these little ones who cannot speak for or defend themselves. You all have an inner strength that is very commendable. I love animals but don't think I could go through watching them go in and out of a hosiptal day after day and seeing sad faces on a regular basis.

Bless you all who responded to my post for your knowlegde and kind words of encouragment.

KatieTaylor77 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:39pm
post #17 of 37

I'm so sorry about your kitty . . . Things didn't sound really good from what you described. Unfortunately, vets are human. Which means they suffer from miscommunication and presumption just as much as the rest of us. I've found that a lot of times vets assume a client won't want to pursue more extensive tests due to costs--but its our job to always recommend the best and let the clients make their own decision.

You should take comfort in the fact that you loved and cared for Tippie as much as you humanly could. That cat obviously knew she was loved and valued in your home--what more can a kitty ask for??? I'm sure it will be hard for your mom for a while . . . I wish there was some way to help.

Unfortunately there really isn't a way to stop you from feeling all the doubts and frustration that you are going through right now . . . but just know that you were a good caretaker to Tippie and gave her a good life with a loving home.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 9:47pm
post #18 of 37

so sorry for your loss.

---------------

did anyone else see this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/from/ET/

NEWTODECORATING Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:06pm
post #19 of 37

Thanks Doug I just called the office I work for and gave them the heads up. thumbs_up.gif

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:49am
post #20 of 37

doug i just saw this on my tv and came to post to tell the original poster. this is something i would look into.

KatieTaylor77 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:00am
post #21 of 37

I'm still lost on that one . . . how can they say its the food causing the renal failure??? Did I totally miss that???

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:07am
post #22 of 37

certain chemicals can directly attack the kidneys and cause them to fail.

the pet food in question is possibly contaminated w/ one of these chemicals -- testing still has determined the exact problem -- but death and severe illness have been reported as a result of eating the pet food in question.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:57am
post #23 of 37

AWE, I am sorry to read abotu your kitty! Your story brought tears to my eyes and I feel your pain as I too have lost a cat from a careless vet! Again I am sorry for your loss!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:18am
post #24 of 37

oh, sweetie, i am so sorry. your post brought me to tears. i hope you and your family will soon find solace and know that your sweet kitty is in a better place (and if it helps, my childhood kitty, patches, will play with her and look after her).

it is important to take your time to grieve. i'm sure she was a special part of your family.

take care.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:26pm
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

so sorry for your loss.

---------------

did anyone else see this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/from/ET/

Don't you wish this was all over the news!!!! Luckly my cat eats special diet food for urinary tract disease so he never goes near any food from a grocery store he can't!

amwake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amwake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 5:05pm
post #26 of 37

I am so sorry for your loss. We lost our Precious almost a year ago, it is still painfull but the pain has eased. My daughter still cries for her every once in a while. Things will get easier.

By the way Doug, thanks for the heads up. I have not seen that on the news at all here.

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm
post #27 of 37

Sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty. Tippie will be in my prayers. I lost one of my beloved furballs a few years ago to kidney failure, and it was a really tough time for me. You never forget them, but the heartache will ease with time.

(((((((((((hugs for you and your mom))))))))))))))

Denise

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 6:17am
post #28 of 37

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty, bakingupastorm.

I too lost my kitty about 4 years ago and miss him still. I don't know if I could ever get another one. He was very special to me as I got him when I was a pre-teen and was a mother of two when he died...he went through alot with meicon_sad.gif

I'm sure that tippie knows that she was loved and had a happy, comfortable home. *hugs*

bakingupastorm Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 7:27pm
post #29 of 37

Well it just so happens that Tippie ate some of this tainted food before she died. She also had some of the syptoms associated with renal disease such as vomiting a clear foamy liquid, loss of appetite, dull coat, lethargy, weakness. I'm sure my mom is blaming herself big time over this. I still have no idea why a vet didn't suggest blood work. The only person I ever heard mention kidney failure or renal disease was someone who responded to my post about Tippie here.
I guess the anger that I've felt over this whole situation isn't helping me to get over it any faster. I know it sounds silly but I'm still dwelling on it. That and it was so unexpected to lose Tippie so suddenly. She was only 4 and had never shown signs of health problems before this.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 9:56pm
post #30 of 37

I am very sorry for your loss .. I had to put down two of my own cats in the past few years and I understand how heartbreaking the whole experience can be .. so sorry again for you and your families loss ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%