Am I Mean For Not Telling Someone About This Website?

Decorating By birdgirl Updated 18 Mar 2007 , 2:24am by Michelle104

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 33

I have had dealings with another lady here that does cakes from her home--illegally and she knows it. She posts advertising and hands out business cards left and right to everyone to get business. She found out I started doing cakes-legally mind you and didn't talk to me for months--except when it came time to sell stuff for her kid--cookies, pizzas, pastries you name it. We were also invited to the kids birthday party--didn't go but still gave a gift. The day of his birthday she calls wanting food coloring since she was out--I was too but she acted like I lied about it. She appears at the door a couple of days ago selling again and asking lots of questions about what I had been doing and she heard I did cookies. Then it was how much do you charge? What recipe do you use? How do you do this on and on. Long story short I almost said something about this site and then the devil kicked in and told myself let her find it herself! icon_evil.gif Is it bad I don't want to tell her? I am tired of answering her questions.

32 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 33

just tell her you'd rather not discuss your business strategies. but I don't see what that would stop you from telling her about this site. it is for everyone, isn't it? though a quick google search and she would find it, I guess.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 33

birdgirl, it'll be our "little" secret icon_wink.gif

I know what you mean about telling someone that wants to do the same thing your secret. I had a friend that thought she wanted to start making cakes and I told her that I wasn't comfortable teaching her because this is what I wanted to do for a business. I was going to tell her about this site too but I stopped short. I thought I was evil too! icon_redface.gif But I thought, ya know when I first started I was in the bookstore & online looking for what I needed to know and found this site. No one came and put it in my lap. Maybe I was being selfish. But I think if you tell people how to do what you do, what's the point in being in business?
I hope I don't get flamed, I'm really not a mean person I swear! icon_redface.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 33

I tell others to come here a lot, but few actually do. They expect me to help them--not find it themselves. If she wanted info. she could find CC easily enough. That said if she was nice and wasn't trying to pick your brain for info that she could use for her business then I would have told her. CC is a wonderful place and if she really wanted some killer info. she'd do a search and find the site.

tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 33

I thought it was just me!! I NEVER give away my "secrets" to people who are obviously looking to become competition OR those who think they can do it themselves to save a few bucks!! I learned the hard way, buying books and researching. I will not just give it all away to someone who hasn't earned it! Don't feel bad, cause if you do then I' ll feel worse for not feeling bad icon_lol.gif

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:45am
post #6 of 33

I am sorry to ask but it is frustrating that she asks me a ton of questions when I haven't done this very long and she claims to have been decorating for 12 years. I figure I have done a lot of research on becoming legal and have learned a lot by spending some time on the computer--it is irritating to have someone expecting to give them information when they have as much or more time to look themselves. Maybe someday I will give the secret up!

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 33

she already know about this site and has probably already read this thread!
HEY! WAIT A SECOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just had a party for my kid........and was selling stuff door to door.......and.........
hmmmmm....................................

(just kidding!)

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 33

I think when I started cake classes I did my research to get into to them to find supplies and sales and spending many hours online I also found cake central if she really wants to know she should do the same, nothing fell onto my lap either, when someone plans to sell cakes for a business is rude for anyone to ask how to do this and that I would let her find out for herself snicky little her, it really doesn't take that much to find cc

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsaxe

she already know about this site and has probably already read this thread!
HEY! WAIT A SECOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just had a party for my kid........and was selling stuff door to door.......and.........
hmmmmm....................................

(just kidding!)

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Sorry I had to edit... I was laughing too hard to type. To funny!!!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 11:32pm
post #10 of 33

You didnt lie, you just didnt offer up info. Trust me the lady knows about the internet and that you can find stuff on it. She probably wanted to know more about how YOUR business was doing than have technical questions answered.

Just a thought
~Alicia

rlsaxe Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:46am
post #11 of 33

ccwkg - what do you mean you had to edit? Edit what? I've seen other people mention that they edited something, but what??

Aliwis000 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:40am
post #12 of 33
Quote:

ccwkg - what do you mean you had to edit? Edit what? I've seen other people mention that they edited something, but what??

In the upper right hand corner of your post you can edit what you typed..great for typos and misspellings.

rlsaxe Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:04am
post #13 of 33

yeah, I know that. But what was it that she edited???? It's not fair to TELL us you edited and not tell us what it was!!

Aliwis000 Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:06am
post #14 of 33
Quote:

yeah, I know that. But what was it that she edited???? It's not fair to TELL us you edited and not tell us what it was!!

lol sometimes I am dumb...

rlsaxe Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:12am
post #15 of 33

someone go get ccwkg. She's got some 'splainin to do!

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:20am
post #16 of 33

I wouldn't have told her either. I don't do cakes anymore. Just for my kids and MAYBE for my twin nephews. I do make treats for my kids to take to school. That said. There is a girl @ my daughters school whose mom "owns" a bakery. I told my daughter to get the name of it for me. The reason being if her cakes are good I could refer people to her that want me to do there cakes. I'm not a "legal" bakery. I'm guessing she is. This I thought was nice. The girl gave my daughter a bogus name. This goes to show that some people are iggnorant. I wouldn't have told her either.!

ccwkg Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:32am
post #17 of 33

I'm here to splain: I got a pretty good tickle and I just clicked on the icon_lol.gif. Then after I composed myself I went back and wrote something. And by the way,,,, That tickle came at the perfect time! I really needed that! Thanks rlsaxe!

rlsaxe Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:40am
post #18 of 33

ahhhh....ok! I was thinking you wrote something, then deleted it in an edit! And I wanted to be privy to it!
Glad to bring you a good hearty laugh!

And man.....whoever got you, got you quick!

ccwkg Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:44am
post #19 of 33

My ears were burning,,,, I just knew I had to get back to CC in a big hurry! icon_lol.gif

rlsaxe Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:46am
post #20 of 33

tell me about it. If I'm watching tv, during the commercials I'm refreshing the pages that I have open on cc. It's absolutely sick.

ccwkg Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:49am
post #21 of 33

How funny! and I thought I was the only one. I'm glad I'm not alone in my addiction!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:01am
post #22 of 33

This makes me think back and wonder how I found out about CC. I can't even remember. I know that it wasn't from someone telling me. I just found it by chance but I don't know what I was doing to come across it. It certainly has changed my life. At one time I tore myself away from the PC to do housework and visit with friends. Now I spend all my time glued to CC. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm not really THAT addicted yet but I think I am getting there! icon_lol.gif

Diane

ccwkg Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:29am
post #23 of 33

birdgirl, sorry my tickle got us a little off subject. I just wanted to let you know that I don't think you are mean at all!! If you were not a nice person you would have not even cared and you wouldn't be here asking this question. Sometimes it is so hard to offer something that is as wonderful as CC to someone who obviously wasn't there for your best interest. I completely understand!! thumbs_up.gif

lionladydi, My husband was doing a search for me one day and found this site. When he told me about it I told him I didn't have time to be playing on the internet. Little did I know....... icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:38am
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdgirl

I have had dealings with another lady here that does cakes from her home--illegally and she knows it. She posts advertising and hands out business cards left and right to everyone to get business. She found out I started doing cakes-legally mind you and didn't talk to me for months--except when it came time to sell stuff for her kid--cookies, pizzas, pastries you name it. We were also invited to the kids birthday party--didn't go but still gave a gift. The day of his birthday she calls wanting food coloring since she was out--I was too but she acted like I lied about it. She appears at the door a couple of days ago selling again and asking lots of questions about what I had been doing and she heard I did cookies. Then it was how much do you charge? What recipe do you use? How do you do this on and on. Long story short I almost said something about this site and then the devil kicked in and told myself let her find it herself! icon_evil.gif Is it bad I don't want to tell her? I am tired of answering her questions.

I've had people who I'm not so quick to help out even though I'm usually quite happy to help anybody out. Some people rub me the wrong way and I had an incident last Fall which I won't go into where I deeply regretted giving someone any information on anything at all (cake related.) Perhaps I'm getting jaded in my old age, but I do understand how you feel, I've been there and I'm having another situation similar (sort of) to yours. My response: There's a lot of information on the internet. Period. Nobody told me about CC and few were willing to help me learn the trade. The information is accessible, let her dig for it. icon_twisted.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:44am
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdgirl

I am sorry to ask but it is frustrating that she asks me a ton of questions when I haven't done this very long and she claims to have been decorating for 12 years. I figure I have done a lot of research on becoming legal and have learned a lot by spending some time on the computer--it is irritating to have someone expecting to give them information when they have as much or more time to look themselves. Maybe someday I will give the secret up!

naaa...don't tell her...she could find it herself if she really wanted to.

nuttin wrong with holding your cards close to your chest...ha ha ha....the colonel didn't tell anyone his secret herbs and spices!

it seems like if you get a little success there are a ton of people tryin to hook thier coboose up to your proverbial train...looking for the free ride....the only thing is...they are usually the ones not willing to do what it takes to get where you got.

and i find the amount of years you've been doing this has very little to do with the talent that a person has.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:50am
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwkg

lionladydi, My husband was doing a search for me one day and found this site. When he told me about it I told him I didn't have time to be playing on the internet. Little did I know....... icon_lol.gif

And just how many times has your husband kicked himself since he found this site for you? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 3:50am
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

...and i find the amount of years you've been doing this has very little to do with the talent that a person has.

Boy you got that right! icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

amwake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amwake Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:04am
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

and i find the amount of years you've been doing this has very little to do with the talent that a person has.

This is so VERY true. There is a woman near me that has been in business for more than 20 years and ALL of her cakes are basic, boring and bland.

As rude as some people may think this is, there is no way I would tell her about CC. I know I found it doing a search for something (and have been here ever since), no one told me about it. She may use CC to get all of the really great tips and do her best to put you out of business, or she may get on here and be like the rest of us where you never see her in person again unless she is testing out some tip or trick that she has learned.

ccwkg Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:07am
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

And just how many times has your husband kicked himself since he found this site for you? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

He's actually pretty ok with it. He has his sports forums and I have CC. I think we are probably pretty even. He does pick on me though, when he is on our computer, I will go to my daughters room and get on hers. That's when I hear the word junkie. icon_biggrin.gif

sarahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahd Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 4:39am
post #30 of 33

I wouldn't tell her either. Maybe that sounds mean but I have just inherited some recipes form a man who used to own his own bakery and am not alowed to give them out as the condition for receiving them. Some people will just not give up some secrets but that is not always a bad thing. Is it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%