Cartoon Character Copy Right Liscense?

Decorating By KellyNichols Updated 15 Mar 2007 , 1:07am by dodibug

KellyNichols Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyNichols Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 15

Does one need to have a copyright liscense in order to use Disney Caracters, or any other Cartoon Charater? I work in and Ice cream parlor and we make and decorate ice cream cakes, and I was looking for different ideas to decorate them. That when the copy right issue came up. Can anyone shed some light.

14 replies
onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 15

you do need a copyright license to do character cakes.. if you purchase an edible image or little figurines for the cake that is fine because they items were copyrighted i hope that makes sense

but if you make a copyright character for sale and get caught you will get fined

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 15

legally if you make a cake you can not duplicate any of thier characters without permission. You can buy the cake toppers and all of a sudden it's legal.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 15

Yes, it's a very tricky business! You can, for instance, buy a character pan (for example, from Wilton), because the pan is licensed, but you cannot sell a decorated cake made in that pan, because you don't have the license to do so. So - you can buy the pan, but you can't sell the cake. I heard it was something about how they can't control what the finished product looks like.

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 15

I really have no idea about this, but i was told at the place where i worked(a cake shop), that as long as we didn't make them into edible images that it was fine to draw them on the cake or a FBCT. So to my knowledge drawing them is fine. Keep in mind that thats what i was told by the cake shop owner.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 15

If it is recognizable as the copyright protected character, it doesn't matter whether it done as an edible transfer or hand drawn. Of course, if I were to be the one freehand drawing, it wouldn't be recognizable. (as the character or anything else!) icon_smile.gif

RedPanda

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 15

YOU NEED A LICENSE, YES. I'M SELLING ALL MY CHARACTER PANS ON EBAY SINCE I CAN'T USE THEM.

monnitas0808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monnitas0808 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 15

WAIT!! So does this mean I can't sell any character cake at all?? So for instance...DebbieBrown inspired books...some of them are characters, do we need a license to do something like that?? And where do you get licenses??

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosita6882

I really have no idea about this, but i was told at the place where i worked(a cake shop), that as long as we didn't make them into edible images that it was fine to draw them on the cake or a FBCT. So to my knowledge drawing them is fine. Keep in mind that thats what i was told by the cake shop owner.

not true. they own the image, regardless. you can't draw it by hand to represent one of their characters. you might not get caught, of course, but they are owed money for the use of their licensed character.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 10:31pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

WAIT!! So does this mean I can't sell any character cake at all?? So for instance...DebbieBrown inspired books...some of them are characters, do we need a license to do something like that?? And where do you get licenses??

I imagine she gets permission SOMEWHERE to sell those cakes. I do not plan on selling cakes any time soon, but this always piques my interest; and I have yet to see an answer as to HOW to obtain permission. I've even gone to the Disney Licensing website, and it talks about more of a manufacturing type license.

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:38am
post #11 of 15

I have heard that a license for this is very expensive. I once emailed the people for Precious Moments about it and they emailed me back saying that they already had someone that had a license for it. Probably someone that does things for them and they only give out one. I honestly doubt that Disney would give one and if they did it would be a ton of money!
So I just stick to buying toys or images that they make. People generally understand when you explain to them. If they don't they can find someone else that will do it sometimes and they will order it elsewhere.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:49am
post #12 of 15

There was a story a couple years ago about a family who lost a baby and wanted to put pooh on the grave-marker. Answer from Disney???...

DENIED

No heart.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:55am
post #13 of 15

Anything with a licensed character can't be sold unless you have a licensing agreement with that company and pay fees to reproduce those characters. Grocery stores that sell the figures on top of the cakes pay a licensing fee to do so. Disney and Seasme Street are vigorously defend their brand and won't hesitate to get their lawyers on even the small guys.

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:57am
post #14 of 15

What about if you make the figurine in gumpaste. Do you still need to have a licence?

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 1:07am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by just frosting

There was a story a couple years ago about a family who lost a baby and wanted to put pooh on the grave-marker. Answer from Disney???...

DENIED

No heart.

Here's a link. They did change their mind.

http://www.mickeynews.com/News/DisplayPressRelease.asp_Q_id_E_6246Pooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by biviana

What about if you make the figurine in gumpaste. Do you still need to have a licence?

If the character is recognizable it doesn't matter what form it takes-drawn, fbct, molded, character cake, etc. You can make it for personal use but not to sell-unless you have an agreement with the owner of the image/character.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%