Gum Paste Glaze

Business By Nancy910 Updated 7 Feb 2013 , 6:10am by bday789

Nancy910 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy910 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 5

I am looking for a gumpaste glaze that makes leaves shiny. I have tried desolving ready made gumpaste in water to make a glaze but when I dip my leaves in it the petal dust comes off. Can anyone help me with a technique or a recipe? Thanks.

4 replies
reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 5

I have never done it myself, but I read on here just yesterday that you can steam them to make them shiny.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 5

I'm not sure if this is what you need but it's called Varnish and here's the recipe.

Edible Varnish

1 T Gelatin
3 T Water
1 tsp Glucose

Sprinkle the gelatin over water until it becomes spongy. Dissolve until clear over hot water (double boiler). Add Glucose. Do not refrigerate and paint on flowers, leaves or accent pieces.

Nancy910 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy910 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 2:28am
post #4 of 5

Thanks Cookie4. I tried the recipe for the varnish and it works wonderfully. It dries shiny and hard. I also steam my leaves and flowers too but some leaves need a high gloss shine. This is it! Thanks so much for the recipe. icon_biggrin.gif Nancy

bday789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bday789 Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 6:10am
post #5 of 5

I tried this formula tonight with "lol" results...I guess you have to use it while still warm/liquid.  I assumed it would need to cool before brushing onto gum paste flowers, but it solidified into a jello-jiggler, lol.  Maybe I can remelt it over a double-boiler?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%