Marshmellow Fondant

Decorating By yumyum Updated 17 Feb 2006 , 2:32am by sweet_honesty

yumyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yumyum Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 12

I was just wondering if marshmellow fondant tastes good. I have made my first cake with Wilton fondant and I think it tastes pretty disgusting - is MMF yummy?

11 replies
parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 12

I love MMF so much that I save the extra that I cut off my cakes as my little candy snack. icon_smile.gif

It is YUMMY!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 12

Yes..It is very tasty compared to wilton fondant.

yumyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yumyum Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 12

I think that I will have to try it one day. Sounds like you need a really good Kitchenaid mixer for it though.

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 12

Yeah I'd recommend a KA mixer. But in most recipes it calls for 16 oz bag of marshmallows, 2 tbs water and 2 tbs vanilla and 2 lb of powdered sugar. Don't use the full 2 lbs! It is way too much and very hard to work with. Get a good feel of it after a pound of powdered sugar and go from there.

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 12

If you have a bread machine - I recommend that. It handles the thickness much better. Someone here suggested that, and I loved it!

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 12

Although I haven't made it yet. . .I bought the dough beaters for my Sunbeam mixer specifically for the MMF. Still chicken on trying it and haven't had an occassion to make a cake and cover it in the MMF. Maybe soon. . . .
Good luck!
ncdessertdiva

YumFrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YumFrosting Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 12

I have made MMF, I did it by hand and it wasn't that hard. It works your arms a little, but I think that is a good thing to help burn off eating the scraps! I think it would almost be messier to involve a mixer....

cat633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat633 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 4:31am
post #9 of 12

I also make my mmf by hand. use a spoon to mix most of the sugar in so you don't burn yourself then finish by kneeding the rest by hand. I also think it would be messier with a mixer

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 2:00am
post #10 of 12

I've only made MMF 2 times. I love it. It seems easy to work with and it's pretty tasty, although pretty sweet! I mixed mine by hand both times and it was easy.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 2:14am
post #11 of 12

When making the small batch with the one cup of mini marshmallows or even doubling that, I always did it by hand with no trouble. When I needed to use the larger recipe, my KA did SUCH a great job...super easy and not really messy at all if you use the plastic shield thingy.

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 2:32am
post #12 of 12

I've only made MMF once and it tasted ok. A bit too sweet for my taste though. I'm partial to the taste of buttercream myself though I can never seem to get it smooth. I didn't use my stand mixer at all to make the MMF. I just mixed it by hand with a wooden spoon and kneaded in the rest of the icing sugar on the counter top. It was surprisingly easy though I didn't realise that it stretched so much. It took a few tries to get the right consistency. Mine just kept falling into holes everytime I tried to lift it onto the cake so I just returned it to the countertop and continued kneading. The air bubbles are a pain in the rear though. Does anyone have any tips as to how to minimise their formation?????????? I have a cake to decorate on Monday with MMF and any tips would help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%