Cake For 150 People - What Do You Suggest?

Decorating By cakesbycorey Updated 7 Jul 2007 , 9:26pm by melysa

cakesbycorey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycorey Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 20

I have been asked to make a cake for my friend's bridal shower. This will be my largest cake order so far (I am still fairly new to this). What sizes of pans do you suggest I use .... I need the cake to be 150 servings.

19 replies
calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 20

Depends on what you are doing. Do you want round, square, rectangle, heart and how many tiers?

sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 20

Just a bump to help you out

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 20

wow. 150 person shower? I don't even KNOW 150 people!

let us know if you are looking at tiers or sheets.

Cancook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cancook Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 20

There will be a wedding and also 150 people. She wants round pans...so how many? 10" and 8" and 6" will do?
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME??
Thank you

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 20

This chart from CC shows the number of servings for different size/shape pans: http://www.cakecentral.com/article14-Cake-Baking-Cutting--Serving-Guide---2-in-Deep-Pans.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 20

If you are doing 2-layer rounds, I use 14/10/6 for weddings for 100, using the Wilton Wedding cake chart (1x2x4 servings). I don't count the 6 as part of the servings.

For 150, I use 16/12/8, again not counting the top tier.

If you use the 14/10/6, you could have a 12x18 sheet cake (single layer, serves 54, 2x2" servings.

Here is the Wilton chart to help you with other combinations....
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I know 150 people, but I don't know 150 people that would be willing to buy me gifts!!! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 20

rounds

4 makes 6
6 makes 12
8 makes 24
10 makes 38
12 makes 56
14 makes 78
16 makes 100

an 8,12 and 16 " round (double layers equaling 4" high) will serve 156 according to wilton (saving the top 8" tier for the anniversary- if serving, it would serve a total of 180). is this a wedding reception cake or a bridal shower cake prior to the wedding?

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I know 150 people, but I don't know 150 people that would be willing to buy me gifts!!! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

Can you imagine the wedding!? They're going to spend as much on the shower as I did on my WHOLE wedding!

Cancook Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 11:25pm
post #11 of 20

Thank you SOOOOO much for the help.
It is a wedding in August.
Once againg...you guys are just wonderful!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 20

A 16" cake is very hard to work with, take a look at using 14", instead. It will make a big, very heavy cake. Be sure the base is strong and all the layers are very well supported. Have a ball and let's see photos.

HoosierMomOf5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoosierMomOf5 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 11:53pm
post #13 of 20

icon_confused.gif

Is it cakesbycorey or Cancook?

Cancook Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:57am
post #14 of 20

HoosierMomOf5, we both have to bake a cake for 150 people. I have to bake for a wedding a she have to bake for a shower.
So, if the 14 is hard to work with and to heavy...can I think that I should persuade the person towards a design that I can use smaller size because it will be less heavy and easier to work???

melysa Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 5:23am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancook

HoosierMomOf5, we both have to bake a cake for 150 people. I have to bake for a wedding a she have to bake for a shower.
So, if the 14 is hard to work with and to heavy...can I think that I should persuade the person towards a design that I can use smaller size because it will be less heavy and easier to work???

you can look at the list i posted above on number of servings and pan size and come up with several options, and recommend to the bride the one that is most asthetically pleasing as well as what works best for you . (remember that if you are working on something that you are not pleased with or inexperienced in , you may not offer your best work). i would recommend choosing smaller pans and more tiers instead. asthetically, its nice having a taller cake, and working on cakes a tad bit closer to "normal" size is easier.

melysa Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 5:24am
post #16 of 20

i also forgot to add that i think an 8" cake for the top tier seems to me to be awfully large and out of proportion. i like my top tiers to be four or six inches. then again, i also like the height of a five tier compared to a wider three tier.

HoosierMomOf5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoosierMomOf5 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 5:53am
post #17 of 20

Forgive me. I must have forgotten my "have a clue" pills this morning. Never mind what twisted thoughts were racing through my brain. icon_redface.gif

Cancook Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:22pm
post #18 of 20

icon_rolleyes.gif Melysa, how can I see the cake you have on display as your pic? That's a nice an tall cake! Beautiful!
Thank you very!

melysa Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 9:23pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancook

icon_rolleyes.gif Melysa, how can I see the cake you have on display as your pic? That's a nice an tall cake! Beautiful!
Thank you very!

thank you ! here is the direct link

http://cakecentral.com/modules.phpname=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=389023

or you can also click on photos under my postings. its down towards the bottom on page one.

it was very tall. each tier was 6" high (one foot total) . the sizes were 4" and 6" rounds. i also did a mini cake to match (in my photos too) that was 4" tall. the sizes on that were 2" and 3" rounds - single layers torted and filled. it was cute. thanks again for the compliment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%