Help! Need Dodge Or Chrysler Cake Ideas

Decorating By MicheleH Updated 16 Feb 2006 , 12:20am by Doug

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 10

Help! I have a huge order (for me anyway) for 5 sheet cakes for next weekend. A Dodge/Chrysler dealership is having an open house and wants one cake with an edible image of the front of the dealership, and the other 4 cakes to be scored with the Dodge or Chrysler emblem on each piece! I can't think of a way to get this image on the cake. Not so great at freehand! Any ideas? Thanks in advance! This site has been a lifesaveer!

9 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 10

Hi,
If you can do a FBCT,( frozen buttercream transfer) that will work really well. However, I am not that great with those so instead I just find a photo of what I want, copy it, cut it out of paper then trace the outline directly on the cake with a toothpick or corsage pin. Then I cut out each detail ( because I'm really bad at freehand drawing) and trace those onto the cake too. It's pretty time consuming but for me, it works well and I can get good details.
Hope that helps.
KimAZ

MicheleH Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 10

I've never tried a buttercream transfer, but didn't know if one of those would work since the cake will be scored with each piece. The idea that you had does sound time consuming, but better than anything that I thought of. Ideally, I wish that I could find a Dodge cookie cutter!!! Thanks for the input!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 10

How about royal icing transfers .They are like chocolate transfers but different medium.

MicheleH Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 10

Kiddiekakes-could you please explain more?
P.S. Took a look at your website, GREAT!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 12:47am
post #6 of 10

option 1: edible images for all the pieces. quick, easy. do you have the sheets that already have little circles of icing on them for use on cupcakes? example of sheet

option 2: cut a stencil of the image and either:
a) airbrush it (if you have one) or
b) do sugar sprinkles or
c) use very thined icing and spread over stencil

option 3: cover cake w/ circle of mmf. You could take a large sheet of mmf and use a biscut cutter ring to mark the circles and then before cutting them out, use stencil to airbrush it or even use a small sponge to paint the mmf through the stencil.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 2:28am
post #7 of 10

I scanned this and used it as a pattern to make a cookie bouquets. I was wondering if you could make the symbols in royal icing and place on each piece of cake.
LL

KCsmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCsmom98 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 2:34am
post #8 of 10

maybe if you could do a fbct or edible image of the dodge ram logo. looks pretty tough...and nothing says dodge like the ram logo...just a thought, hope it helps and good luck. don't forget to post a picture when you're done.
LL

MicheleH Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 10

You all are such a big help, bear with me as I have a few more questions!
Please hurry with your replies as I live in the Timbuktu and am going to the "city" today for supplies!
Doug-I love your option 2, but what do you make the stencil out of? Would you just paint on the really thin icing with a paintbrush?

Price-Also liked your idea, but the customer now would like for me to use the Dodge Ram symbol. A little more tricky!

KC's Mom-Forgive me, but am still new so I don't know what a fbct is. I will post pics when I'm done.
Thanks to everyone!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 12:20am
post #10 of 10

stencil can be made out of:

card stock (the really stiff paper)
an manila folder (won't last as long as card stock)
the plastic sheets used on an overhead.

plastic will last forever but is harder to cut - have to use a very sharp exacto

card stock/folder easier to cut but also easier to get fuzzy edges and won't last as long, especially if using anything very watery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%