Cakes Keep Sinking

Decorating By montanakate Updated 21 Feb 2006 , 7:57am by SquirrellyCakes

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 19

Just when I think I know how to bake a cake I'm having problems w/ my cakes sinking in the middle after taking them out of the oven. I'm checking to see if they are done and the toothpick is coming out clean, this is happening with and with out using a flower nail. I am cooking most of these cakes at 325 because I was toold cooking at 350 often causes them to dome too much. icon_mad.gif ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!! Does anyone have suggestions? I'm in the middle of baking for a wedding cake and I might have to redo a layer or two (or 3, 4)
Thanks for any tips

18 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 19

Usually thats an indication thats it not done. I would try to bake it more. How deep of a pan are you using? how much water and oil? scratch or mix?

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 19

How long are you cooking these for hun,
Don't forget that they need to be in there longer. I have that prob too when baking from mixes or the shape and depth of my pan in deeper than 2 inches. Have you tried a "heating core" using the flower nail pointy side up in the bottom of your pan will help to bake the middle at the same rate as the outside.
And sometimes when the cake batter itself has more butter in it or more ingredients with fat content the ol toothpick won't cut it as the fatter batter won't stick to it anyways.
The way I check mine is to gently touch the center of my cake with my finger and if it still is mooshie it stays in the ol oven for a bit longer till the center is slightly springy. That's just my method of telling if it's done.
I am sure that there are more tried and true methods out there. So here's yer bump hun.

montanakate Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 19

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know that the toothpick test didn't work all the time. I have been using the flowernail for a heating core but I guess they still aren't quite done. The cakes I'm making are mixes that have been doctored. Would you still bake them at 325?
Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.
Kate

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 19

I usually bake all my cakes mix or scratch at 325. I set the timer for suggested time, test with a cake tester, then usually let it cook from 3 - 5 minutes longer.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 19

I had a disaster Friday, when I was begining a cake for a church dinner on Sunday. I baked 2 10 in round, and they both had craters! This is the first time I have ever had this happen in all these years. I think maybe someone up there was trying to tell me something. Just after the cakes came out, The snow storm hit, and they cancelled the dinner. Saved me a lot of work.

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 19

How high are you?

At sea level, a clean toothpick shows that the cake is already slightly overbaked and the sinking cake would probably have been baked at too high a temperature.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 3:35am
post #8 of 19

I tried the 325 thing too but spent too much time guessing if the cakes were fully baked or not (I had some sinking problems too), so I switched back to 350 and my cakes are fine. when I take them out I cover them with a paper towel and set another cake pan on top (maybe slightly smaller) with a can of corn or somethng like that on top. Voila! A flat topped cake everytime!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Feb 2006 , 4:22am
post #9 of 19

Some cakes naturally sink because of the richness of the ingredients in the batter. If you add sour cream to your cakes you may get a wee bit of sinking in the middle, some chocolate cakes and richer cakes like fruit type cakes do this too. Also if you cool your cake in a drafty place, the sudden change in temperature can cause a bit of sinking in the centre. It isn't always a sign of a cake not being cooked enough. I toothpick test cakes for doneness, I find it the most accurate test but if your cake pan is really deep, you need to use a wooden skewer. Also, the cakes sides should pull away from the sides of the pan except perhaps in the case of a sponge or foam type cake in which you do not grease the cake pan.
Sometimes we overdoctor our cakes and actually cause the sinking. Also if you add butter instead of the oil called for in some cake mixes, you can cause sinking. Adding too many eggs or overbeating the cake mix can also cause sinking. Sometimes we increase the fat content so that it is too high in relationship to the flour content and this can cause the cake to fall too.
Hugs Squirrelly

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:20am
post #10 of 19

Sometimes, sour cream will make them fall.

montanakate Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 4:14am
post #11 of 19

I have been adding sour cream to a lot of my cakes lately, I didn't know that would make a difference. Is there anything you would use instead, like yogurt?
I don't think elevation is a problem, were are at a little over 3,000 ft, but I've never had problems using the regular cake mix recipes without high elevation substitutions.
Thanks again, you guys are amazing
Kate

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 4:26am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanakate

I have been adding sour cream to a lot of my cakes lately, I didn't know that would make a difference. Is there anything you would use instead, like yogurt?
I don't think elevation is a problem, were are at a little over 3,000 ft, but I've never had problems using the regular cake mix recipes without high elevation substitutions.
Thanks again, you guys are amazing
Kate

When we doctor cake recipes or mixes we are altering the chemistry formula that is based on sugar, flour, fat, eggs and other leaveners. So by adding the sour cream, we have altered the fat to flour etc. ratio. Not usually a big problem unless you are noticing a huge sink hole. Usually if you go with 1/2 cup sour cream, it doesn't make much difference. If you use whole milk instead of water as I do and add sour cream, you have upped the fat ratio even more but again, it usually has pretty good results. It is something to experiment with.
Hugs Squirrelly

montanakate Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 4:36am
post #13 of 19

Squirrelly,
Would you add more flour? I've heard about the cake mix extender recipe, is that something to use. I have to say I don't know exactly what's in that though so maybe it's a dumb question icon_smile.gif
Kate

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 6:32am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanakate

Squirrelly,
Would you add more flour? I've heard about the cake mix extender recipe, is that something to use. I have to say I don't know exactly what's in that though so maybe it's a dumb question icon_smile.gif
Kate

I like this one, likely is the same one on the site, I just have it handy. You can split it in half.
White Almond Sour Cream Cake
2 boxes white cake mix (I prefer Duncan Hines)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp real vanilla
2 tsp almond extract
2 cups (16 oz) sour cream
8 large egg whites

Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on a low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees until cake tests done.

This recipe makes:
One 14 round and one 6 round or
One 16 round or
One 12 round and one 10 round or
One 12 X 18 sheet cake or
One 12 round and one 8 round and one 6 round

Half the recipe makes:
Two 8 rounds or
Two 6 rounds and 6 cupcakes

Double the recipe makes:
one 18" round + one 10" round
all 4 sizes in the Wilton petal pan set

For chocolate cake: use chocolate mixes, omit almond extract and substitute 6 whole eggs for the whites.

For liqueur flavors: substitute alcohol (such as champagne or Kahlua) for about 1 cup of the water in the recipe

For berry flavors: Substitute one 3oz pkg Jell-o in a coordinating flavor for part of the sugar in the recipe. You can use the Jello Gelatine or the Instant Pudding, I prefer the puding. Use a 16 oz pkg frozen berries, thaw reserving the juice. Substitute the berry juice for part of the water in the recipe, and stir the berries in at the end. *You'll need to add a little extra batter to each pan for this version.* Likely about 1 1/2 for a 9 or 10 inch, 3 inch deep pan.
The other favourite of mine is Auzzie's. It doesn't use sour cream though.

Auzzi From the Wilton Site's Extendacake Pound Cake
1 pkg of any kind of cake mix to which you add all of the ingredients called for on the box
In addition:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup Crisco oil - she substitutes 1/2 cup softened butter instead and so did I - wonderful!
2/3 cup water
I beat the butter, then added all of the ingredients the cake mix called for and then all of the other ingredients. Then I blended on low for 1 minute, then 2 minutes on medium, scraping the bowl down. Gnerally, cook at 325F for the larger cakes, 350 for smaller and you will need to add baking time, perhaps about 10-15 minutes to the times given on the cake mix box. I checked ever 5 minutes or so over the cake mix times.
Here is another one I use that you do add sour cream to.
1 Duncan Hines Deluxe White Cake Mix
1 Jello Instant Pudding Mix - 4 serving size
4 large egg whites
I added 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil
Mix on low for 30 seconds, then on medium for 2 minutes. Then bake in greased and floured pan as per the box directions.
I tripled this for a larger sheet cake and I have to say, as much as I am not a big cake mix fan, it was darn good. It does sink a bit after it comes out of the oven, but it has a great texture and is nice and moist.

Edited to add: No, I wouldn't add more flour because that alters the sugar ratio, the leavening ratio etc.
Hugs Squirrelly

montanakate Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 3:01am
post #15 of 19

Thanks again squirrelly, I'm going to try this on my next cake icon_smile.gif
Kate

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 3:13am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

when I take them out I cover them with a paper towel and set another cake pan on top (maybe slightly smaller) with a can of corn or somethng like that on top. Voila! A flat topped cake everytime!!

Another suggestion to flatten the "dome", as soon as you take the cake out of the oven, lay a wet towel across it and flatten it with your hand. It works every time for me. My husband was disapponited when I learned this trick since I had very little to level off. icon_biggrin.gif

montanakate Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 3:21am
post #17 of 19

I have been doing this when my cakes are domed, but lately my problem has been more the middles are sinking. When they are domed this trick works great! Thanks
Kate

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 7:21am
post #18 of 19

I used the flower nail method today for the first time ona 12 inch square and it worked PERFECTLY!! I have NEVER baked such a level cake!! I'm very impressed & will be sure to use this method from now on!

Squirrel -
Can you use yogurt instead of sour cream in the Almond cake recipe? It looks like a great recipe & I want to try it tomorrow but I only have yogurt on hand. (One extender recipe I saw said you could use either of the two.)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 21 Feb 2006 , 7:57am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda

I used the flower nail method today for the first time ona 12 inch square and it worked PERFECTLY!! I have NEVER baked such a level cake!! I'm very impressed & will be sure to use this method from now on!

Squirrel -
Can you use yogurt instead of sour cream in the Almond cake recipe? It looks like a great recipe & I want to try it tomorrow but I only have yogurt on hand. (One extender recipe I saw said you could use either of the two.)

Well I haven't kiddo. I know a lot of recipes have one or the other but you will get a bit of a different texture though it will work. I say that because normally you use regular sour cream and you are going to be dealing with a difference in the butterfat content between the two. Personally, I prefer to use sour cream. I don't like baking with yogurt for the most part. But yes, it will work.
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%