French Buttercream

Baking By AgentCakeBaker Updated 11 Apr 2005 , 11:20pm by tripletmom

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 15

I wanted to try the French Buttercream recipe on Wilton's site. Has anyone ever tried this recipe before?

If not, does anyone have a good French Buttercream recipe that I could try? Or where I could fine one?

14 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 15

I'm interested in the Swiss buttercream, also.... are these firm enough to decorate with or just ice the cake with?

lagunacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lagunacakelady Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 6:18am
post #3 of 15

I tried the french buttercream from wilton site. I didn't like it and it wasn't firm enough to decorate with. Don't know if I did something wrong. I tried it cause it doesn't use as much sugar as others and it's not too sweet. My husband seemed to like it though.

I'm trying to find that delicious not so sweet icing but getting disheartened with every experiment icon_sad.gif

AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 15

lagunacakelady

Thanks for letting me know.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 15

I have recently used the House Buttercream recipe from the Whimsical Bakehouse and I really like it. They also have a recipe for an Italian meringue buttercream however it looks like it is richer than the House recipe. It also looks like they use these recipes interchangeably.

Here is the practice cake I made using the House recipe and I even made roses for the first time ever! You have to make them and freeze them before putting on the cake but that takes no time at all. The other flowers were accidents and considering it was 1:30 AM when I did them, it could have been worse!

I never thought I would ever use a buttercream other than one that crusted however i was plesantly surprised by this recipe and I will definitely use it again. The texture was almost silky, if that makes any sense. I really want to try the Italian meringue recipe soon too!
LL

tripletmom Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 15

Oh yeah, the colours are funky because I was trying out my new Americolor colours that I had ordered. That and the cakes in the book are pretty funky too!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 15

How does it taste? Do you have to keep the house buttercream refrigerated?

tripletmom Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 15

I found the taste to be quite nice, not too sweet at all. I gave the cake to a friend to bring to work and everyone thought it was going to be really heavy. From what I heard they found it to be very light and not too sweet, so they were plesantly surprised.

Once I made it I kept the buttercream out and used as I needed it however I did refridgerate the cake once it was decorated. It is a very soft icing so keeping it cool helped to keep it in place. Someone else on this site used the same recipe for a beautiful floral cake and they had some difficulty with transporting it, it did need to be kept cool for the trip.

AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to experiment with this recipe. A fellow cake baker gave me the recipe and I have yet to use it.

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 15

I tried the Italian Meringue from Whimsical Bakehouse! I loved it. It was light, airy, smooth and not too sweet. I posted the recipe for it in another forum. you can check under my posts and I believe I called it Meringue buttercream.

AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 15

cupcakequeen

Does the Italian Meringue have to be refrigerated too?

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:47pm
post #12 of 15

The decorated cake can sit out for a bit, not overnight, though because it is made with egg whites. But, to get the best flavour, you should bring it back to room temp. before serving it.

I was able to make flowers with it. I didn't think it would tho because it felt like it was melting, etc...but, I made crysanthemums!

Also, I forgot to mention, your colors don't come out as vibrant as they would with regular BC because it is so slick (egg whites and butter).

Good luck! I loved it, my family was half and half...they liked the sweeter icing sugar BC! icon_smile.gif

AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 9:52pm
post #13 of 15

Great! Thanks alot!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 10:05pm
post #14 of 15

Hey Tripletmom,

I have a question. What is House icing? I have never heard of it. Would you please email me the recipe? Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif
~TC~

tripletmom Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 11:20pm
post #15 of 15

I just posted the recipe on another forum topic, i think it was Intense Colors?

Here is the link:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=13383#13383

I never thought I would ever use a buttercream that did not crust but I did...and I liked it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%