Not Sure How To Handle This

Business By karateka Updated 15 Mar 2007 , 1:30am by Melvira

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 17

Hi everyone-

Got a somewhat delicate situation here and I don't know what to do.

My brother has a friend that is getting married May 19. They asked him if I could do his cake. He put us together. He originally told me on the phone that they wanted a 3 tier wedding cake and sheet cake for the rest. Now I get an email with a picture of a whimsical cake that they like, and tell me "The sheet cakes are already taken care of, you would just be making the wedding cake"

Add to this that I already have a wedding booked for that weekend. I don't know what to do. I don't think I like having sheet cake that I didn't bake served at the wedding. Plus I've never done a whimsical cake before (complete with off kilter tiers). But my brother has obviously been recruiting for me, and I'd hate to turn down his best friend.

When I spoke to the groom, they didn't want to do a tasting, because he "didn't care" what it tasted like, "I mean, I'm sure it tastes good, you know?"

I'm scratchin' my head here... icon_confused.gif

16 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 17

At least the couple is notifying you that there will be other cakes there. Just recently, one of our members authored a thread where she/he delivered the wedding cake, only to find out that there were other cakes waiting in the kitchen that someone else had done.

JMO - Since the groom is a friend of the family, give it a whirl. You can try a practice run with just the cake and some buttercream, to practice doing the tiers. You don't even have to make it as large as they like; as long as you get the tier cutting right, you will be able to do it again on a larger scale later on.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 17

My suggestion is, if you do not feel like you can do both cakes for that week-end, then be honest with them. Tell them that your brother had not checked with you to see if you were available for that week-end, and you had already made a commitment for that week-end, and that you are truly sorry.

SweetDolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDolly Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 17

I have to agree with Theresa; I'd also do the cake. I'm always looking for the opportunity to try something new that I might not be otherwise exposed to, and most often (for me, anyway) that comes from referrals.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 17

If they already have cakes to serve, why don't you offer to make a cake dummy for them? Whimsical cakes are so easy when you're using styrofoam! Dallasfoam has great prices!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 17

I'd do the cake too. If he didn't care what it tasted like, he's probably not going to be too picky about the way it looks, so IMO this would be a perfect time to 'practice' whimsical cakes. I love cakes that I do for favors and that I have creative freedom with... that is when I do my best work. It will give you more exposure too. I say go for it! icon_smile.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 17

someone else had a question a little while back about having other cakes served at the same place.... it's a tough call. Are you a legal business? Is this person out of state? What is the quality of the sheetcakes? Do you think people will assume you made both and could that hurt your business? Without knowing the quality of the other cakes or the "conditions" they were baked in you could be setting yourself up for trouble. What if someone gets sick from that other cake? Your reputation could be at stake (if you've built up a reputation). Just one way of thinking of it..... even if you do a dummy cake, are people going to know that your design and the other cake's taste are two different things? I'd question why they felt the need to order sheetcakes in the first place..... they want a smaller wedding cake just for display? Or are they trying to cut costs in some way? If they're that concerned about cutting costs are these sheetcakes from a grocery store? If so, there would probably be a big difference in taste & quality..... and exactly who is getting served YOUR cake and who will be eating the sheetcakes? Are you only making edible cake for the wedding party? Or just the bride & groom?

And coming from just trying to make my first topsy turvy cake and calling it the "cake God held together".... if you haven't done it before, it can be a nerve-racking endeavor! I don't think I'll be doing another one any time soon and if I do I may try to figure out that styrofoam wedge technique instead of the "sunken" layers like in the tutorial here on CC. And I have NO idea how you're supposed to cut those types of cakes... I cut the one I did and it was just such a mess.... b/c the cardboard holding up the top layer is "sunken" into the bottom layer so it's tough to "lift" off and if you start cutting you end up cutting the bottom..... so anyone who wants to send tips my way on that, please do!

It's totally up to you but those are just my thoughts and opinions. I wish you the best of luck and hope you make a decision that you are comfortable with. Good luck!

desireed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desireed Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 17

One thing that you might want to think about is people will think that the sheet cakes were made by you since you made the wedding cake. If the sheet cakes taste crappy, it might hurt any future business you could/would have gotten.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 17

After I delivered a beautiful and delicious *smallish* wedding cake to what I knew was a large wedding and found Sam's club sheet cakes waiting, I now inform all customers that I am exclusive. All or nothing. I refuse to have people think I baked that store bought cake. I make it very clear that it is not acceptable. Fortunately for me, a couple of the people who were serving knew my work and as people came through line they steered them away from the sheet cake to my cake. They ended up with a bunch of dried out sheet cakes left. It's just not right... and I won't allow it unless I know the cake is good. If they had their mom bake a few sheet cakes and I have had her cake, and it's good, then I would be willing to relax my rule. Just my two cents from being burned once before. icon_wink.gif Good luck, this will not be an easy decision for you!

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 17

One real concern----Where is the bride in all this???? That's a little odd and scarey that the groom is ordering the wedding cake. You might want to talk to her also just to make sure SHE wants a whimsical cake and not something he's going to surprise her with! It may be that whoever is making the sheet cakes is also making a wedding cake and he "missed" that part of the conversation.
JMO...... detective.gif

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCook

One real concern----Where is the bride in all this???? That's a little odd and scarey that the groom is ordering the wedding cake. You might want to talk to her also just to make sure SHE wants a whimsical cake and not something he's going to surprise her with! It may be that whoever is making the sheet cakes is also making a wedding cake and he "missed" that part of the conversation.
JMO...... detective.gif

Definitely find out what the bride wants if you decide to do it. he doesn't care about the flavor? cause all cake is good right? i bet she cares! that sounds exactly like something my husband would have said about my wedding cake. and thats why i did all the arrangements for the cake!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:52pm
post #12 of 17

I agree with the others who vote no on this. You would be taking a gamble that the sheet cake being associated with your name is going to be good. It sounds like you're not wild about the idea anyway-- I'd just tell them thanks but you're already booked.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:33pm
post #13 of 17

I wouldn't do it, mainly b/c I am guessing those sheetcakes are coming from a grocery store or another family member. I don't want to risk anyone thinking my cake is someone elses. I haven't been in this situation exactly but I think I will use the same terminology that Melvira did! It sound so much better that way too "exclusive"

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:55pm
post #14 of 17

i've done alot of weddings where the sheetcakes are from somewhere else.

believe me ....people can tell the difference....and they've had some crappy sheet cakes....by the look you can tell they came from different places.....a wedding planner was gonna save some money. got the ch. grooms cake from the grocery store....brought it in and showed me when she was picking up the wedding cake, it looked like it had been done by a 2 year old....congraDulations, of course misspelled....HA HA HA!

one time i did the sheet cakes and someone else did the wedding cake...

one of my customers came in and told me everyone was gobbling up the sheet cakes but let the wedding cake just sit there because it "tasted like cornbread".

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:13am
post #15 of 17

Well, I found out that the sheet cakes are from Wal-Mart.

I just called and said that with work and the other wedding cake I was too busy to do them justice.

They said that they would use my cake as the photo op for the cake cutting, then take it in the back and bring out the sheet cakes on plates. I just can't play that. I didn't want to tell them that, but if they don't care about cake, why are they serving it? I don't want to go to that much trouble for them to "taste" it and then probably not even serve it!

Thanks to everyone who responded, I appreciate your support and efforts.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:17am
post #16 of 17

Good for you!! I think you made the right decision.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 1:30am
post #17 of 17

Oh yah, the answer is especially NO if you are talking Wal-Mart cakes. They don't even bake them in the store!! Ugh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%