Wilton Instructor ???

Decorating By luvcake Updated 15 Mar 2007 , 10:31pm by luvcake

luvcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvcake Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:03am
post #1 of 17

Can anyone tell me about their experience as a Wilton Instructor, good or bad. Thanks so much for any advice you can give me . icon_wink.gif KIM

16 replies
cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:26am
post #2 of 17

bump!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:38am
post #3 of 17

I think it's hit and miss.
Last year I had a wonderful Wilton instructor for my Wilton class I,II,III. She had over 10 years experience and shared some wonderful tips as we went along.
I'm currently doing Wilton fondant/gumpaste and this instructor seems to be unorganized and all over the place. The book said to bring a cake for class II (tommorrow) and she said we didn't have to. That kinda upset me. I figure I'm learning cake decorating so I am bringing a cake! She didn't do too well in describing how to cover a cake in fondant (although I know how to do it but a few gals didn't) and she ended up having a student do it. I've had only one class with her, tommorrow is my second one so I'm hoping it will be better.
Jacqui

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:44am
post #4 of 17

They are as varied as are personalities. I have had some who are laid back and others that are strick. Personalities......like anything else

mcassada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcassada Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:48am
post #5 of 17

I liked my Wilton instructor but I didn't really connect with her, she was nice and all don't get me wrong

As an instructor myself...
I love love love it
i think its awesome teaching people to do what i love so much
I love seeing their faces light up when they learn something or when they experience a sense of accomplishment
on the down side... i hate that not everyone can do all the techinques. I feel that cake decorating is 75% techinque and 25% artistic ability. Not everyone has the eye or the artistic ability and its hard to try to encourage people as they are failing,
kwim

hope this helps

mandy

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:49am
post #6 of 17

I had the best instructor, she had like 40 years cake decorating experiance and was very good at teaching. I now teach and this is only my 3 month. I always tell my students on the first day of class that I am a flake! because i forget stuff too. But they all have so much fun at my class and I'm really good at what I do so I think they forgive me when I'm having my "flake" moments. They always tell me that they would never like anyone else to teach them and consider us friends. We pretty much "girl talk" while I teach them. I'm gonna sad when my current course 3 class leaves. But they'll be back in May for the Gumpaste and fondant class

mcassada Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:53am
post #7 of 17

I forgot to add that it can be difficult working with the store, the store employees, and the education coordinator... everyone is not always on the same page...
seems no one that signs up for my classes ever gets a supply list or what to bring to the first night of class in course 2 etc..
hope this makes sense
its been a horrible day i need to go to bed
seem to be rambling

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:53am
post #8 of 17

My grandmother on the other hand hated our instructor. I am a very quick learner so I got everything right away. My grandmother needs some time before she feels shes got it down. The instructor moved on very quickly leaving little to no time for practice. I was not a beginner, most people in the class were though so I can see how that would bother her.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 1:55am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

I think it's hit and miss.
Last year I had a wonderful Wilton instructor for my Wilton class I,II,III. She had over 10 years experience and shared some wonderful tips as we went along.
I'm currently doing Wilton fondant/gumpaste and this instructor seems to be unorganized and all over the place. The book said to bring a cake for class II (tommorrow) and she said we didn't have to. That kinda upset me. I figure I'm learning cake decorating so I am bringing a cake! She didn't do too well in describing how to cover a cake in fondant (although I know how to do it but a few gals didn't) and she ended up having a student do it. I've had only one class with her, tommorrow is my second one so I'm hoping it will be better.
Jacqui

Please remember this is a new course for all WIlton Instructors and it will take a few classes to figure out how to get organized with it and how to make it run smooth. Michaels is the only store running this course ( for the first 3 months) to work out any kinks. If the course doesnt have a good response it will not be carried out by other stores. Give her time I am sure she will be just as good at this course as the others in no time.

I love being an instructor!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:00am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcassada

I forgot to add that it can be difficult working with the store, the store employees, and the education coordinator... everyone is not always on the same page...
seems no one that signs up for my classes ever gets a supply list or what to bring to the first night of class in course 2 etc..
hope this makes sense
its been a horrible day i need to go to bed
seem to be rambling

as a teacher you MUST be proactive,make your OWN sign in sheets and make sure that you have a place for people to put their phone numbers in..a WEEK before the class CALL EVERYONE...they should let you do that from the shop you teach at..

OR.

Make a list of the things they need and PASTE it to the front of the SIGN IN NOTEBOOK.

Don't sit back and expect other people to care about this..this is YOUR job, YOUR income and you need to CYAspects at every turn.

If you come across as organized, pretty soon you will have more students that you know what to do with..and a list of potential students for the other courses.

Also...have a place where they can check if they would be interested in taking other classes...and when you schedule those, make sure they coincide with the WILTON CLASS specials.

I know it's hard, but so worth it in the long run.

mcassada Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:13am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

as a teacher you MUST be proactive,make your OWN sign in sheets and make sure that you have a place for people to put their phone numbers in..a WEEK before the class CALL EVERYONE...they should let you do that from the shop you teach at..

OR.

Make a list of the things they need and PASTE it to the front of the SIGN IN NOTEBOOK.

Don't sit back and expect other people to care about this..this is YOUR job, YOUR income and you need to CYAspects at every turn.

If you come across as organized, pretty soon you will have more students that you know what to do with..and a list of potential students for the other courses.

Also...have a place where they can check if they would be interested in taking other classes...and when you schedule those, make sure they coincide with the WILTON CLASS specials.

I know it's hard, but so worth it in the long run.

i HAVE done this and my signs got ripped down by corp saying that was not allowed!! I go into the store and talk with the managers, EC and employees all the time
we just switched ECs and that doesn't help, she didn't even know i had to have 6 people to run my classes
i don't really think the lack of students and organization is MY fault,
its not that i'm blaming the store, but i think there could be more done.
i have taken my notebook in but I can't be there to talk to every single person to make sure they are signing on the right lines

I am a very organized person but that is not getting my classes full...

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:19am
post #12 of 17

have you spoken to your Teacher coordinator to interceed for you?

mcassada Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:23am
post #13 of 17

yes and they didn't even know a new EC had been hired.. i was the one that broke that news

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:26am
post #14 of 17

I am a WMI at Michael's and I absolutely love it. It is so much fun and I get to meet so many people. My goal is to open my own cake supply store and hold cake decorating, candy making, etc. classes. If you want more info please feel free to email me.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:31am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

Please remember this is a new course for all WIlton Instructors and it will take a few classes to figure out how to get organized with it and how to make it run smooth. Michaels is the only store running this course ( for the first 3 months) to work out any kinks. If the course doesnt have a good response it will not be carried out by other stores. Give her time I am sure she will be just as good at this course as the others in no time.

I love being an instructor!

icon_surprised.gif I didn't know that! I usually kinda skim through the Michaels/Wilton newsletter, so it might be there plain as day, but I'm surprised to learn that we're the guinea pigs for this course (haha, or rather our students).

Are they looking at enrollment numbers, or soliciting feedback from F&GP graduates, or what?

~ Sherri

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:38am
post #16 of 17

My intructor seems a bit rushed. And, it doesn't help that my classmates aren't always prepared. Sorry, don't mean to be CATTY!

luvcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvcake Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 10:31pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks guys,you gave me some very valuable insight. Thanks again!!!! KIM

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%