Wafer Paper ...help...

Decorating By Pearl70 Updated 15 Mar 2007 , 1:40am by tcturtleshell

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 21

I bought wafer paper today and I do not know how to use it. Can anyone explain what all i can use it for?

20 replies
Pearl70 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 21

please help give advice on this..

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 21

I've never used it before, but I'm planning on buying some so that I can make the butterflies. There is a tutorial here about how to make realistic looking butterflies, which look so neat. Also, fairy wings.

Good luck!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 21

I bought it for butterflies. But, my favorite use was for dogwood leaves. I Googled dogwood leaves and was able to make them botanically correct. I've also used it for edible images for my pet cakes, which I brag about having no sugar. It's cheaper than icing sheets, so that's a double benefit. I put the image of the birthday dog on the cake with it. Lots of people use them for diplomas and other paper product depictions. Signs and plaques, too.

Pearl70 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 21

how do you panit them?

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:04am
post #6 of 21

I use them alot. I use editable markers to outline & then BCI, Royal icing or Color flow, & even chocolate melts to fill in the pics. I have used editable markers to fill in but it makes the paper shrivel up & I don't like that. I think you could also use piping gel w/ coloring & paint them that way. Never tried that though but I'm sure it can be done.

CMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMarie Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 21

where can you buy this stuff? I would love some! I was piping a RI picture on wax paper last night and my husband said that someone needs to invent something like this so I can just transfer it over instead of carefully peeling it and trying to place it on the cake in one peice. Does Wal-Mart have it?

Pearl70 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 21

i had a craft store special order it for me and it was cheaper than online.

CMarie Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 21

i could really use some tonight for a Betty Boop cake, they want a specific Betty Boop and there is no way that I could free hand it, but i was thinking, I have a wal-mart here and they do the edible images, i wonder if they would just sell me a peice of that stuff and I could pipe it with RI, then transfer that to the cake..think that would work?

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 21

Have WalMart make you an edible image of Betty Boop (if they will - bring them a picture and see if they will do it) and then pipe right over it, otherwise I bet they would sell you a plain sheet. I used to by them from our local supermarkets before I bought my own printer.

You can also get them and the wafer paper from KopyKakes.com

As for wafer paper I use it in my edible printer sometimes if I will be piping over it, cut out shapes, edible markers, paint on it with food coloring or thinned royal icing and lay it on fondant and make stand up cut outs. Tons of uses!

Plus you can use it like tracing paper - love that!

tcturtleshell Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 21

CMarie, Yes, you can use it like you are wanting. I would do what SweetResults said. Good advice by the way! icon_smile.gif

My cake w/ the oriental symbols is royal icing piped on waffer paper w/ piping gel for shine. Go take a look in my gallery~

I would rather pipe over something then do the flip thing too!

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:42pm
post #12 of 21

couple of pics i did with wafter paper... I really like piping over it...... I also use both sides, because you can get two different look
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

CMarie Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:42pm
post #13 of 21

this is CRAZY!!! I called Wal Mart and asked them and they refused to sell a plain sheet, much less one with something printed on it, so I called Kroger and they said $7 for a plain sheet... back in WV Wal Mart sold me a printed one for $5!!!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 10:36pm
post #14 of 21

That butterfly cake is just beautiful Trent!

Pearl70 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 11:35pm
post #15 of 21

i want to make a flower opening up and have a baby in it, can i form wafer paper to do this? if so anyone know where i can find an image of a petal to use

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 21

I've been using wafer paper to print edible images on it but I don't think it's the same paper they sell you for the same purpose, like in Walmart. The wafer paper that I've used is crispy, and is translucid, you could transfer an image just by laying the paper on top of the drawing; the edible image paper that I've used is soft and pliable, not translucid, and I don't really think could be used for making butterflies.
The wafer paper is great to draw, lay on the cake and then pipe the icing.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Mar 2007 , 5:39pm
post #17 of 21

Yes you can form wafer paper using steam. Hold it over steaming water (just be careful not to drop it in) or use a clothes steamer.

tcturtleshell Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:10am
post #18 of 21

Gosh those cakes are fantastic!! Was the 1st one ran threw the printer? I did not know you could use it that way. And to steam it tugg2? Wow! There's a lot I need to learn too! It's not very expensive so it's worth trying every technique for sure! I'm glad this thread was started!

tcturtleshell Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:11am
post #19 of 21

Sorry I meant tiggy2~

Pearl70 Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 12:39am
post #20 of 21

does wafer paper stay hard or does it soften when laid on BC

tcturtleshell Posted 15 Mar 2007 , 1:40am
post #21 of 21

If you use editable markers it shrivels up. That's why I used royal icing when I did my symbols. I doubt I'll use the markers again. I love the way the icing looks on it. What do other people think?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%