Ebay Perfume Scam

Lounge By Kitagrl Updated 17 Feb 2006 , 8:57pm by gibson

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 9

I am a long time Ebay member who is REALLY irritated with them right now!!!!

I helped my SIL get a men's cologne for my brother's bday. It was an Armani cologne and I checked the sellers feedback rating, and wrote to double check the cologne was brand new and unopened, which it "was". So we got it. As soon as she got it my SIL said it looked good and so I left pos feedback. Well a week later she decides to take it out of the box just to smell it before she gave it to him. The bottle was leaking and the label was starting to peel. So she gave it to him early and he recognized it as a scam. What they do is they take a genuine box and bottle and they pry the lid off and pour in imitation cologne and then try to reseal the bottle. Some of them leak. Also he had had that cologne for years and the scent was not even close to the same.

What makes me mad is this lady promptly gives your money back...she even said we could just throw the cologne away. She knows she is selling fakes (tons of them, daily, to unsuspecting people) and she knows if she refunds your money she can't get into trouble! I wrote Ebay and basically as long as she is refunding money they can't prosecute her but I can contact the perfume manufacturers. I did email Armani but she is selling LOTS of high end brands.

UGH! I was reading her recent feedback and there are so many happy, unsuspecting customers...and a few that were upset about leaks, etc who still had no clue the perfume was not real. I felt like writing to all of them but that would not do much good. I also felt like calling my local news station and having them do an undercover on her (she lives one state over) but I'm afraid she would know who I was and get back at me.

Anyway just have to vent...I can't stand watching hundreds of people pay this lady so much money for cheap scented water. icon_mad.gif

8 replies
hn87519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hn87519 Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 9

That is interesting. It's similar to all the fake purses out there on ebay too, with lots of happy people and their cheap $20.00 LV handbags. icon_eek.gif

sparkleshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkleshine Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 9

That is just rotten. I am sure a lot of people will never realize that they have fakes so even if she has to refund 1 out of every 2 people she is still making a profit. That is just terrible that ebay lets it continue.

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 2:50am
post #4 of 9

Well that stinks.

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 11 Feb 2006 , 3:55am
post #5 of 9

Can you give us the person's name? Sadly she's right in that if she returns the money she won't get in trouble since she followed policy and you are getting your money back. She still loses the money and wasted her time on the bottle and the packaging you bought though(We get the last laugh! HAHA)! I do hope someone posts a negative feedback. That's really horrible she'd do that ,but i think that just lets you know you have to know what your getting. Or maybe some people like the cheap alternative perfume they get better than the original. You never know! LOL

Oh ,also, never trust ebay to do what you need when you need it. When i didn't get my cd from the one seller i went straight to Ebay after 3 months and they suggested i give him my adress or they can't do anything. Yeah right! They also can't do anything about any scams that is happening unless it cost alot of money. (Any remember the virgin mary grilled cheese? Ebay insured it themselves to make sure it wasn't a scam because of how much money was being paid for it.)

HomanSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HomanSweets Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 9

UGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I bought Aqua Di Gio by Armani within the last 6-8 months on ebay.......I have bought it from department stores for my husband 3 times before, so we know how it is supposed to smell. My husband could tell it wasn't the same. But it smelled ok so he wore it.....well in Oct he had a business trip where he had to fly to NYC, by the time he got back, the bottle leaked all over in my sisters borrowed luggage he used! the lid was re-sealed! I was so pissed bc even still, I paid $35 for it & these people are making so much money & laughing all the way to their paypal accounts!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyhow, I guess I learned my lesson!

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 9

I agree with Dale...that stinks!! thumbsdown.gif Some people!?!?!? icon_mad.gif

I'm sooo sorry girl!! I couldn't live with myself if I did that to someone. Big hugs, ~Denise

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 5:04am
post #8 of 9

My little hint about sellers like this- look and see what else they are selling. If they have boatloads of any certain item extremely cheap- chances are it's a scam. I learned this with computer software. Most of them were buying corporate size bundles and separating them out illegally. I eventually found a seller who got the item cheap (or free) with rebates and got it from him.

Anyway, check the sellers other items before you bid or even ask where they got it.

Kelly

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 9

Do you think if all of us flooded Ebay with letters about this scam they might do something? If one person complains nothing gets done but if a whole bunch of us complain..... you know the squeeky wheel gets the oil?I can't believe Ebay is allowing this behaviour. That person (in a way) is representing what ebay is and does.....So basically Ebay is allowing people to misrepresent merchandise and sell to unsuspecting people....as long as Ebay is getting their cut...
We just can't sit back and let this happen, but I don't know what else to do....If anyone has any ideas..........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%