Scrollwork....how Do I???

Decorating By rhopar33 Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 8:51pm by indydebi

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 6

I have a wedding cake this weekend and the bride wants white fondant w/ black scrollwork and dots.

I've never done scrollwork before and I'm somewhat leary because I have a "nervous" hand. I'm especially nervous because if I mess up, it will get pretty messy wiping black icing off of white fondant. I have two questions:

1) Should I use black b/c or black royal icing for the scrollwork?
2) Does anyone have any suggestions for the easiest way to do scrollwork; nothing fancy just simple arcs?

Thanks!

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 6

You can cut a template for your scroll work out of heavy paper or plastic. Either make a shape you can pipe just above, or cut out a line you can use to mark your path. I think I would use royal, for the stability.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 6

I use the Wilton presses .... press the pattern into the icing and trace it.

dods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dods Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 6

For my wilton course 3, I did the wedding cake with scroll work. I found the wilton press quite easy...just made the markings with the press and piped it over with royal icing ( inwhich I had mixed a little piping gel).

Dora

jkpeters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkpeters Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 6

I have a "nervous hand" too so when I needed simple swirls for a cake I put some fondant into a clean "Play Doh Factory" toy with the appropriate shape mold and pushed out long strands of thin fondant. I cut the strands to length then placed on the cake in swirl shapes. A tiny dab of water or vodka will hold the fondant swirls in place. It's labor intensive but looks good.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 6

P.S. I find that when I'm doing the scrolls, the slower I go, the worse it looks. Move your hand pretty quickly and it helps with the steadiness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%