MGonzalez Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 13

Is this regular flour?

Mary

12 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 13

No, cake flour is much more finer grain and you usually don't have to sift it. Some people though do recommend sifting it just the same.

MGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MGonzalez Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 13

I looked for it at the store and didn't find anything that was labeled "cake Flour." Can you not get this at the grocery store?

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 13

Yes, you should be able to. One brand that you should be able to find is called SoftAsSilk. But I don't know off the top of my head who makes it.
Godiva makes a lot of her cakes from scratch, I'm sure she would be willing to help you as well with some questions.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 13

..you can make this yourself by a mix of cornstarch and flour! The recipe is on the side of the cornstarch box!

p106_peppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p106_peppy Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 13

cake flour is made using a softer type of wheat. it doesn't have as much gluten in it, thus it makes softer, fluffier, more tender cakes. you should be able to get it in a regular grocery store, I've never known a grocery store taht doesn't carry it.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:27am
post #7 of 13

I have some right now it's called softasilk made by pilsbury in a pink box.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 3:40am
post #8 of 13

Mine is Swan's Down Cake Flour. It is found on the bottom shelf near the regual flour at stores in La. I have only used it in the Faux Fondant. I guess it worked like it was supposed to. The FF turned out very nice.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:03am
post #9 of 13

We actually have that here in our commissary and we dont get much of the things out of the ordinary here......

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 7:05am
post #10 of 13

Cake flour also has a different amount of PROTEIN in it which changes the baking chemistry a lot. Simply adding cornstarch to regular flour won't give you the same results, though it might help in some ways.

~AngelWendy

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 12:34pm
post #11 of 13

All of the above...I've tried Presto, Swans and Softasilk, and Softasilk is by far the lightest...It never fails to deliver a light and fluffy cake; of course other factors contribute to that as well. I'm one of those who prefer to sift atleast once...It won't hurt icon_smile.gif You can also substitute it when recipe calls for regular flour...Just measure and add 2 tablespoons per cup. I goes a long way. icon_wink.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 1:50pm
post #12 of 13

My Swans Down box says it's made from the finest American winter wheat and sifted repeatedly so that it's 27 times finer than all-purpose flour. It's vitamin enriched too. It says on the box to sift before measuring. I usually just stir the flour in the canister and then measure. I rarely sift my flour.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:09pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWendy

Cake flour also has a different amount of PROTEIN in it which changes the baking chemistry a lot. Simply adding cornstarch to regular flour won't give you the same results, though it might help in some ways.

~AngelWendy

I have used the mixture of flour/cornstarch in place of cake flour, on many occasions and you couldn't tell the difference!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%