I Finally Took The Plunge!!!

Decorating By sweet_as_tisse Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 9:44am by boring

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:59am
post #1 of 25

and made a fruit cake!!!

i never really wanted to offer fruit cake because i had a massive fear of not being able to cook a decent one. but i got an order and she wanted fruit cake, a friend had given me a recipe a while ago but i had forgot all about it, she was given the recipe by an old lady, it uses tawny port to soak the fruit....

so the other day i decided i need to make this, and let the bride to be try it before the wedding. i must admit it wasn't as hard or scary as i thought it would be so here it is....

would you eat this......lol

its really moist and full of fruit i got the 7" round below and a 8" round out of one mix, i have practically eaten the 8" all myself......lol.

kylie
LL

24 replies
BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:12am
post #2 of 25

Kylie,
The cake looks yummy and very high. How high was it?
I don't suppose you would care to share the recipe. I have a bottle of Tawny Port sitting in my pantry waiting to be of some use. If you can share, please PM me.

FYI, fruit cake is really yummy with double or clotted cream. In case you decide to start eating the 7" cake. LOL!!

Barbara

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:16am
post #3 of 25

That looks yummy to me!

One day I will have to travel somewhere, where they're made from scratch, months in advance, and allowed to age like a fine wine.

Oh, to dream!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

zuya15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zuya15 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:46am
post #4 of 25

I would love to have the recipe too.
I tried one once but it didn't get so high.
Thanks,
Yvonne

sweet_as_tisse Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 10:10am
post #5 of 25

thanks Barb, the cake came out about 3" high as i filled it to the top of the tin....

i have PM'ed you and zuya15 the recipe..

kylie

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 10:18am
post #6 of 25

Fruit cake.......... yummy!!

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 10:58am
post #7 of 25

Fruitcake is my all time favorite cake - I have a couple of yummy recipes for rich,dark moist cakes that i use all the time but i would also love to receive your recipe too,if you don't mind ? Does yours have chocolate in it ? icon_biggrin.gif

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:11am
post #8 of 25

May I have the recipe too? Fruit cake is my all time fav too, but I don't have a recipe for it. But may I ask what is Tawny port?
icon_biggrin.gif

sweet_as_tisse Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:35am
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootchi

But may I ask what is Tawny port?
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Pootchi

i will post the recipe here, to save me PM'ing any one who wants to try it. as for what tawny port is, i am not real sure myself. i think it is just a type of port wine. i am pretty sure any type of port would be ok to use...

this is the recipe, its also an australian recipe in our measurements....

8 eggs
1 1/2 to 2 cups of tawny port
1.5 kg of mixed fruit
1 packet of shivered almonds
1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
1 tablespoon of lemon essence
1 teaspoon of almond essence
2 1/2 cups of plain flour
2 cups of castor sugar
500grams of butter

mix fruit and almonds add essences and port, stir and leave for at least 24 hours but you can soak them for up to five days.

Cream butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs. Add flour and fruit alternately. i lined my tins with two layer of baking paper around the sides and bottom then wrapped four layer's of newspaper around the tin and tied it with string. i also lined a baking tray with ten sheets of news paper folded over. here is a link to preparing a tin that i found online this allows the cake to cook slow and hopefully not burn.... http://www.taste.com.au/how+to.....fruit+cake

Cook in a slow oven on 130 degree's celcius for 4 hours...

i filled the 7" tin to the top and the cake came out at 3" high, the 8" was left over batter and it filled to just over half and came out at about 2"
high...

cheers

kylie

niquealodeon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niquealodeon Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:51am
post #10 of 25

OK maybe this is a stupid question but do people really ask for fruitcakes a lot? I have never had nor do I ever see it around anywhere (except maybe at Christmas time). Is it something that is usually requested for weddings because of the tradition? I just see a lot of recipes for it and a lot of people on CC making it but its something Ive never actually been introduced to.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:52am
post #11 of 25

Just curious - does ANYONE in the US actually eat fruitcake? LOL!

I don't know anyone that would touch it - now that's not to say that if they did they wouldn't actually like it icon_wink.gif

BarbaraK Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:17pm
post #12 of 25

I think, based on the comments everytime fruit cake is mentioned, that the ones you get in the US are really dry and deos not taste good. I suppose if you ate that it would put you off fruit cake. However, a home made one is waaaaayyyyy better. It is moist and very delicious.

Fruit cake is still quite popular in Australia. Granted you probably would not order one from a store for a birthday cake but I think lots of people still make it at home for celebrations and Christmas. A well made fruit cake can be kept and matured and taste beautiful months later.

Once you have eaten a well made fruit cake, you will know why we like it.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:23pm
post #13 of 25

ooohh, I love homemade fruitcake ..especially one that has been soaked.
Looks great!

The only thing for me is that is lasts a long time..longer to have me slicing a piece for tea, day after day.. icon_biggrin.gif

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:42pm
post #14 of 25

We use all sorts of alcholic in our fruit cakes but mainly brandy and sherry but if there is none around anything we have goes in. The lastes cake we are making for April will be cooked this weekend so it has time to mature it has port in it. I made the tope tier of my nephews wedding cake and took it to America for the wedding. It was supposed to be for him. The whole cake was cut up including the fruit cake on the top and it was more of a hit than the rest of the cake much to the brides disgust it included fondant which was also a no no for her but her family loved it. Personally I hate fruit cake but everyone else seem to like it.

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 7:22pm
post #15 of 25

Hope this isn't a silly question, but what kind of fruit do you use.....fresh, dried?

Julie

sweet_as_tisse Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:50pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieBee

Hope this isn't a silly question, but what kind of fruit do you use.....fresh, dried?

Julie

Hi Julie

no its not a silly question, i used a mixed fruit in a packet which has sultanas, currents, raisens. cherries, and some orange and lemon peel. this is available to buy at supermarkets.

cheers

kylie

nikkifoster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkifoster Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:53pm
post #17 of 25

Good Job!

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:00pm
post #18 of 25

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I've just finished making a 12" square fruitcake, and the recipe called for it to be baked for 5-ish hours. The top was burnt to a crisp after 2.5 hrs. It is cooked on the inside - can I cut the top off and still use it?

sweet_as_tisse Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:09pm
post #19 of 25

if its cooked on the inside then i would just cut off the burnt part and flip it over.

kylie

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 9:11pm
post #20 of 25

Thanx Kylie...

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 10:52pm
post #21 of 25

I always look forward to my mom's fruitcake at Christmas....Its nice dark and very moist ...I recall it was wrapped in cheesecloth that was soaked in rum .....But on my request no citrus peel/rind and it's perfect....very tasty with a simple almond icing...mmmm
thanks for recipe too...

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:24am
post #22 of 25

If I have to cook a fruitcake for longer than 3 hours, I usually turn the oven down & cover the top with foil to stop it burning.
I always use port in my cakes & glace fruit, dried fruit,nuts,chocolate,treacle - yummy ! icon_biggrin.gif
If I could just eat fruitcake all day, I'd be a happy girl ! icon_lol.gif

sweet_as_tisse Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 5:58am
post #23 of 25

for any one interested in the type of fruit i used here is link to a site in America that sells Australian products...

if you scroll down you will see the packets of fruit. i used the mixed one... but you could add what ever fruit you like...

http://www.simplyoz.com/products/aussie_food/groceries/cooking_supplies/copha

cheers

kylie

BarbaraK Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 7:10am
post #24 of 25

Julie,
You use dried fruits, like raisins and sultanas. Some people like to put chopped up glace cherries as well.

Barbara

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 9:44am
post #25 of 25

Dried Fruit you can buy mixed dried fruit at the supermarket.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%