Fluffy Chocolate Frsoting?

Baking By Loucinda Updated 14 Feb 2006 , 7:30am by sweettreasures

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 12

Hubby wants a frosting that is the cooked type that is fluffy (making the sugar syrup and pouring over beaten egg whites) Is there one on here tat most folks have used and is tried and true? I'd appreciate any help here - he doesn't want buttercream on this cake.

11 replies
whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 12

are you talking about the italian meriangue butter cream? If so I'm wondering the same thing. I was just about to post to ask LOL.

I'm wondering if adding melted chocolate would work ..So I guess a chocolate IMBC

Loucinda Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 12

I remember years ago making a frosting that was somewhat like that, only it didn't contain any butter (that I can recall) It was almost like a marshmellow texture - but was very fluffy. (and it got kind of sticky after the first day of setting too)

I checked out the IMBC recipe, and was wondering how much that makes? It takes an awful lot of butter! He doesn't want a buttercream type, he wants this "fluffy" type. I have never made the IMBC so I don't know the texture of that one, but I thought that one was one that could be used for decorating - if so, that isn't the texture I am looking for.

whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 12

also I just found this, hope it helps.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-15320.html

Loucinda Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for that recipe. It sounds really good too. icon_smile.gif

hn87519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hn87519 Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 12

You can add chocolate to IMBC, and it works quite well.

However an IMBC is different from a 7 minute frosting, which could also be what he is describing. I'd use the IMBC.

Loucinda Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 12

THAT'S IT!!! 7 Minute Frosting!! As soon as I heard it I rememered the name of it. (no butter in it - I remembered right!) it has been so many years since I have made that....thanks - now I know what to look for.

Loucinda Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 12

OK - any ideas on this....I made the 7 minute frosting, and it was fine - held the peaks and everything. As soon as I added the chocolate it fell and turned runny. icon_cry.gif It was 2 ounces of melted chocolate. (which is what the recipe said to add to it to make a chocolate version) Now I have a large bowl of what looks like chocolate marshmellow ice cream topping.

Loucinda Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 12

OK try #2. I added 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar with the sugar mix at the beginning and then folded in the melted UNSWEETENED chocolate after it was done (which is when I added it the first time). It worked this time. Not sure if it was the different chocolate or if it was the cream of tartar, but it worked. icon_biggrin.gif

hn87519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hn87519 Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 12

Great!!

Loucinda Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 6:24pm
post #11 of 12

Just so you know, 7 minute frosting is not good the next day. thumbsdown.gif (I tried to tell Hubby that but he insisted on having that icing......) Now he knows. icon_biggrin.gif

sweettreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreasures Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 7:30am
post #12 of 12

What happens to the frosting the next day? I've wanted to make this one before...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%