Barnyard Cake Disaster

Decorating By steph95 Updated 6 Feb 2006 , 6:29pm by SquirrellyCakes

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 11

I made the wilton red barn/barnyard cake for my nephew's birthday, an hour away. ( the b4 photo is in my pics) Being new, I didn't think anything of transporting it, except using the drawer liners to keep it from sliding around. About halfway there I turned around to notice the silo had fallen over-onto the rest of the cake. It knocked over the sign, leaving silo icing on the sign, and tore a hole in the top of the silo. Luckily, the animals remained unharmed! thumbs_up.gif I didn't bring any extra anything, so off to #1 of the 2 grocery stores in the area. Couldn't find cake decorating stuff anywhere. Off to store #2. I found packaged colored icing, screw on tips, and a sprinkles in the same color as the grass on the cake. once there, I turned the silo around and set it up, squeezed out some icing to attach the sprinkles, and scraped the icing off of the sign. I had to fix some of the lettering, also. It didn't look too bad. Chalk it up to experience. Moral to story: always take your kitchen with you!! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 11

Wow, what a story!!
Thank goodness the animals were okay. No reporting to the animal control officer at least! icon_lol.gif

kos

steph95 Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 11

How true!! I haven't done many cakes, so I'm sure I'll have more disasters to post!! usaribbon.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 11

Another reminder too, always take a photo of your cake as soon as you finish decorating it! That way you can always remember it as it was before the disaster!

Sure glad you were able to find supplies for repairs. Janice

steph95 Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 11

I always take a pic as soon as I'm finished. That way if something DOES happen, I can always show proof of all the work I put into it b4 I ruined it!!! icon_lol.gif

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 11

The first cake I made looked pretty decent, I thought. I didn't think to take a picture at home, because I was running late. Less than 18 hours from being asked to make the cake, until delivery time. (never again!)

I figured in November it'd be ok, since the day/night before was chilly, the next day would be. NOPE! It's was in the upper 70's, I had the air conditioning in the truck going and everything, but by the time I arrived, the cake had started it's meltdown. The only pictures I had were of a mess of a cake, in my opinion, but still very edible I heard.

The thing is, I took pics of it up until the point I thought everything was ok. I always take pics of the stages, from trimming when it comes out of the pan, to crumbcoating, etc. just incase.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 2:50am
post #7 of 11

Your cake is very cute. You did a great job!!

Angie

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 6:11am
post #8 of 11

Well the picture looks wonderful, really cute kiddo! This is not an easily transported type of cake. None of the cakes with turrets like the castles or anything extremely vertical and small in diameter is. So to help stabilize something like this, we use centre dowels and in this case, I would really have several layers of cardboard as the cake board and sharpen one end of the dowel so it actually screwed into the cardboard. Also make sure you have a lot of icing holding it onto the board. This has happened to many, many people with the turrets for castles and silos for barn cakes, some very experienced people too so you are in good company.
Also, really gluing the silo or turrets to the side of another structure with a lot of icing helps stablilze it.
And if it should fall, well you see, it was a very old farm with an old silo or there was a tornado or wicked wind storm that came through town... kids actually love stories like that, haha!
You did a lovely job of it kiddo, you should be proud and prouder still that you managed to salvage it!
Hugs Squirrelly

steph95 Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 11

Thanx Squirrly and Angie. I did dowel the silo, I just didn't think to do it into the cardboard, just the cake. I'll have to remember that. Someone has shown interest in ordering it for her child's first birthday later this year. She lives about 2 hours away, so I am meeting her halfway. does anyone have anymore tips about how to keep it standing, since I won't be able to deliver and set up? do you think scooping the cake out , setting the silo down inside, and doweling it to the board would work?

mssweetie24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mssweetie24 Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 2:34pm
post #10 of 11

Your story sounds something like my disaster. I decided to make my dad a cake with the barn for his birthday. I fix him a barn with the fence and animals. icon_confused.gif I let my mom and sis come and get the cake because I was going to be running late for the party we were having for him. When my mom got to her house she called and said that I need to bring some of my tips to fix the cake when I get there that they had an little accident. icon_eek.gif Little accident my foot. When I got there I said mom the only way Im going to be able to fix that is to dump it and and start over. I ended up taking the barn off and try to salvage what I could. icon_cry.gif I found out my dorky sister decided she would hold the cake icon_mad.gif instead of letting it sit flat icon_sad.gif I had placed dowels in the cake thinking I had it stable enough. lol guess not. You live and learn I guess. lol

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 6:29pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph95

Thanx Squirrly and Angie. I did dowel the silo, I just didn't think to do it into the cardboard, just the cake. I'll have to remember that. Someone has shown interest in ordering it for her child's first birthday later this year. She lives about 2 hours away, so I am meeting her halfway. does anyone have anymore tips about how to keep it standing, since I won't be able to deliver and set up? do you think scooping the cake out , setting the silo down inside, and doweling it to the board would work?

You mean fitting the silo into the cake so not as much is sitting unsupported? Yes, I think that really helps. The problem with turrets and silos is that they are so high but so small in diameter, they are not stable. But if the silo was sitting inside a cake, much of it would be supported.
This isn't the best design for a cake that has to be transported. I think my preference would be to make the silo out of a Pringle can or some form of can, fill it with dried beans or peas for weight. Cover it in fondant and let it dry. Package it lying on its side and just having the customer set it up on location. I think that is about the only way to insure a safe delivery every time.
hugs SQuirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%