How Do I Make Chocolate Roses?

Decorating By karennayak Updated 18 Feb 2006 , 3:44pm by Jenny_nyc

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 8:16am
post #1 of 11

Hi,
Does anybody know how to make chocolate roses?
I did a cake last week, which I wanted to decorate with a chocolate lattice, chocolate leaves and chocolate roses.... The catch was, I did not know how to make the roses!

I searched on the net, and found a recipe in which liquid glucose is added to pure chocolate, to make chocolate candy clay. I was able to amke some decent looking roses, bit they could definitely do with some improvement in texture and taste.
Does anyone have any tips/recipes/suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Karen

10 replies
sweetsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsugar Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 11

chocolate candy clay would be the only way I know how, unless you use a chocolate buttercream.

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 11

I made chocolate rose on one of my cakes it was very easy to do. the only thing I did do was candy flavoring to the chocolate which made them taste so good. it does take some practice to get the texture right but once I figured it out they were easy

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 11

tootsie rolls!!!!!

KCsmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCsmom98 Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 11

i've made a chocolate roses out of milk duds. I've also used the canned wilton premade chocolate icing to do roses. I personally don't like the taste of premade icing, and haven't used it in quite a while. I have a pictures of the roses in my pictures. it was easier to work with the milk duds than i thought it would be...i didn't have any problems with it sticking or anything. hope it helps.

karennayak Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 6:16am
post #6 of 11

Thanks for your replies. I forgot to mention, I live in india where everything has to be made from scratch... No tootsie-rolls, no milk-duds, no premade icing!!!
If anyone has a recipe for candy clay, can you please share it with me?
I hope to try out the roses again this weekend.
Thanks again,
Karen

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 11

I have a pic. in my photos of a white chocolate raspberry cake with white and dark chocolate roses on top, I used the recipe on this site for the chocolate molding clay and I thought it tasted exactlly like tootsie rolls Yummy!!!!!!! I just made a small cone shape for the center and then made small balls and flattened with with my thumb to shape them for petals and layered them one at a time and I think they turned out great!!! The taste was good too!!!

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 1:49am
post #8 of 11

I used regular fondant and flavoured it by working in cocoa powder. Just put shortening on my hands when I did it. They came out just fine except there is no sheen to them I need to coat them in something to give them a glossier look they are a little drab and suggestions.

Kathy R

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 1:24pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you all for your help.
Karen

Jenny_nyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny_nyc Posted 18 Feb 2006 , 3:44pm
post #11 of 11

To make your own chocolate for modeling roses and other decorations you can mix (just about any solid) chocolate with light corn syrup.

Chop up and melt the solid choc. in a double-boiler or similar set-up, then add the syrup, stir for only 30-60 seconds, then spread onto a plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Use 4 oz. of light corn syrup for every pound of milk or white chocolate OR... 5 oz. of light corn syrup for every pound of dark chocolate.

I actually use Nestle's Milk Choc. Chips and it works out great and it tastes yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%