Ribbon Around Cake Tiers--Buttercream Or Fondant

Decorating By sweetchef Updated 11 Mar 2007 , 4:17am by indydebi

sweetchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchef Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 5

All the pictures I've seen of cakes with ribbon wrapped around the bottom of each tier assumes you're doing a fondant cake. Has anyone done this with a buttercream cake? If so, do oils from the buttercream soak into the ribbon...do you need to put something behind it?

4 replies
jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 5

i've never done it, but i read somewhere that if you cover the back of the ribbon with crisco before applying it to buttercream, it will help keep the frosting from bleeding through the ribbon.

hth

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 5

I know this topic has been covered before a while ago...from what I recall, a lot has to do with the type of ribbon you use. Fondant won't soak through, but buttercream will. Some people used wax paper behind the ribbon. That's all I can remember! Try doing a search for this topic...

Sorry - maybe someone else will remember....

I've only done this one time and I just waited for the buttercream to crust really well before putting the ribbon on.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 5

Another you can do is use iron on sizing ribbon? I'm not sure what it is called but it is used in dress making. Don't put crisco on the ribbon because the grease from that will come through. I've used the taffeta ribbon on buttercream, but satin ribbon will look greasy. I have heard about wax paper but you need to iron it on. Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:17am
post #5 of 5

I work only with BC and have done a number of ribbons. I just slap it on right on top of the icing...nothing on the back of the ribbon. I would suggest not using ribbon that has the wire on the edges. Tried that once and it's not flexible enough to go around a round cake and still look smooth. Plus I pulled on it a little too much (when connecting in the back) and the wire actually cut into the icing. See my pics for some samples.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%