Seeking A Cake That's As Chocolate As Possible!

Baking By dooberbug Updated 28 Mar 2007 , 5:28am by LanaC

dooberbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dooberbug Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 6

I've been asked to make a cake that is as moist and fudgy as possible, including chocolate chunks, whatever... I'd like to start with a cake mix - what to add and how much?

Thanks for your help...

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dooberbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dooberbug Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:24am
post #3 of 6

Jan, you ROCK!

I played on my own today, and learned a few things...

- 1/4 C of dark dutch processed cocoa does wonders for a chocolate cake
- 1/2 t korintje cinnamon is about 1/4 t too much, but WOW
- chocolate chunks make it really hard to tort a cake into thin layers! What a MESS!

I tried a ganache recipe from a friend that's almost identical to yours, but it didn't say to chill it long enough... so it was too soft icon_sad.gif so I wish I'd had yours. This is just the rehearsal - real thing is next weekend.

I now have sour cream on hand, so I'll try the Cake Doctor one. Thanks!

icon_biggrin.gif

puncess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puncess Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 6

I just made this cake that was SOOOO chocolaty (sp). It was sinfully delicious, rich, fudgey, perfect! This recipe was on the Wilton site under DELICIOUS LARGE QUANTITY CAKE MIX. (from Cassandracakes and Navymom. Thanks to them!

I did make the following changes:

I used 1/2 flour and 1/2 cocoa powder for the amt of flour listed
I used 1/2 coffee and 1/2 buttermilk for the water
and I definitely added chocolate chips.

I can't imagine this with GANACHE! OMG!! but I did make a white chocolate filling. I made it as a trial run and even my DH who is not a fan of chocolate cake devoured this one! Please try it. BTW, the batter is thick so DO NOT PANIC! It will come out fine. Also, another tip I learned, is that chocolate tends to dry out a little more that other cakes so take the cake out of the oven a few minutes earlier than you normally would!

DELICIOUS LARGE QUANTITY CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX

2 Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mixes
1 Box Chocolate Fudge Pudding
2 Cups Flour
6 Eggs
2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 Sticks Butter or Marg.
1-1/2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Oil
4 Cups Water

1/2 RECIPE

1 Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
1/2 Box Chocolate Fudge Pudding
1 Cup Flour
3 Eggs
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 Stick Butter or Marg.
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Oil
2 Cups Water

Cream Butter/Marg. oil and sugar together. Add eggs mix until blended. Add Cake mix, Pudding, flour and Baking Powder. Blend on low while drizzling in water in a thin stream. Mix until smooth (doesn't take long), and bake according to directions for your pan size.
Optional; fold in Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips. [/b]

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:18am
post #5 of 6

My DH loves loves loves chocolate, so for his 30th birthday I am planning on making him a super chocolate cake. It will be chocoalte cake mix, doctored up the way I normally do (previously posted), with chocolate ganache filling and chocoalte buttercream frosting. Then I'm going to put the chocolate-chocolate Pepperidge Farm Pirouette cookies all around the outiside of the cake (like chocolate cigarillos) and flakes and curls of chocolate on top of the cake. It's going to be a 3 tier cake, so the very top layer will have chocolate spikes sticking out. It's not until August, but I can't wait to construct this chocolate bohemouth! icon_biggrin.gif

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 5:28am
post #6 of 6

There's one cake on here that must makes my mouth water every time I see it. It's chocolate with pirouettes all along the outside and then loaded on top with mini reeses cups. I don't know what all it has in its guts, but the outside is a PMS dream come true.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%