Making A Crocodile Cake- How To

Decorating By momsandraven Updated 2 Aug 2007 , 1:17am by hellie0h

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 3:18am
post #1 of 12

This is instructions for the cake I made for my kids' birthday party this weekend. I thought I'd post a few pics I took along the way, for anyone interested in doing something similar. (tripletmom, you inspired me to do this after looking at your cool dog cake 'tutorial'!)

I started by baking (2) 10" square cakes, (2) Christmas tree cakes (I have the Wearever Christmas tree), and half of a bundt cake. I made the bundt cake by filling one side with aluminum foil and making walls out of aluminum foil so the cake batter could only fill 1 side of the pan. Once all of the cakes were completely cool, I wrapped them in plastic wrap and cooled them in the frig to firm up a little.

I cut the Christmas tree cakes down a little, by cuttiing off the base of the tree, as my pan is a little too big. I saved the extra and used pieces for the croc's feet. Next I trimmed the square cakes to fit the size of the croc's head. Finally, I cut the bundt cake into sections and formed a swirvy tail. Here's a pic of the cake with no frosting.
LL

11 replies
momsandraven Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 3:20am
post #2 of 12

I put a crumb coat over the whole thing and stuck on a couple of marshmallows cut in half for the eyeballs. I used a mini marshmallow cut in half for the nostrils. Then I stuck it back in the frig to set-up.
LL

momsandraven Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 3:24am
post #3 of 12

This baby took a lot of frosting! The cake is 25" head to tail. One more inch and he would not have fit in my frig! I made a double batch of icing for the light green, then a batch of dark green. I used green 'fruit slice' candy cut in half for the bumps on his back and also for his claws. When he was all done, I decided he needed to be in some water so I rolled out some fondant and made him a 'puddle' to sit in. icon_smile.gif

I had a blast making this cake!
LL

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 9:56am
post #4 of 12

thanks so much for thinking of all of us here at CC while making this crock cake it looks so fun you made it so simple looking to do even though I know that was a lot of worl it's great thanks again

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for sharing it is a very cute idea. Also can you tell me where to find tripletmoms, dog tutorial. Is it in the articals section?

Wilma

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the GREAT tutorial!

momsandraven Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 12

cake77, here's a link to tripletmom's 3D dog cake tutorial, its in the how do I? forum. icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-12974-dog.html

Thank you all for your nice comments!

Happy Baking,
Beth

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 12

Thank-you for the detailed instructions and time

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 12

Awsome! Thanks for sharing. My son's school mascot is the Gator - I might try to adapt this to make a gator for his school!

Debbie

sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you for the instructions. I love the way you used the tree pan for the nose. Great job.

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the great instructions.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:17am
post #12 of 12

Adding my thanks too thumbs_up.gif Great cake and to let you know, I saved the first pic to my computer because I may not be able to find this thread in the future. It was so nice of you to do this tut for us.
Helen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%