You Would Not Believe This......& A Poll

Decorating By itsmylife Updated 10 Mar 2007 , 11:05pm by adven68

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 38

I was helping my friend *Sue clean out her freezer, and waaaaayyyy in the back of the freezer I see this wrapped up cake. It was a whole cake, about 8 inch round, decorated and wrapped in seran wrap. There were some words on the top, but you couldn't tell what it said. It looked a little old and beat up.

So I ask her what it was from. So she says... oh well that was a birthday cake for *Joe (her husband). Well, I've known *Joe for about 10 years now and I've been at every birthday party he's had in that time and I had never seen it before. So I ask... well who gave it to him? She says... his mom gave it to him (at this point I can see she has a smirk on her face).

Well... we go round and round about this cake because she was wanting to mess with me until FINALLY I hear this.....

This was his birthday cake when he was 7 years old (he is 39 now icon_eek.gif ). He had been sick on his 7th birthday, so they never ate the cake. Well, his mom had saved it for all these years (for sentimental reasons), and she 'passed' it on to him a few months ago.

So now, no one wants to touch it because they think it will be bad luck. It is still sitting in the freezer. She asks me.....do you think it's still edible? I said sure... you go ahead and take the first bite hahaha.

So that got me to wondering.... what is the OLDEST thing in your freezer?

*the names of the innocent have been changed to protect their identity

37 replies
Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 38

I think that 32 year old cake won the prize icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 38

Holy Cow!! I though I was bad. The oldest thing in my freezer are the popsicles from last summer! I try to get through things pretty quickly. I just can't believe there is a cake that old in someone's freezer! Is there even a cake that old?!?! JUST THROW IT AWAY!!!!! No sense being that sentimental-take a picture and move on!!!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 38

Well I can say without a doubt I don't have anything THAT old. icon_lol.gif In fact just yesterday I cleaned out my freezer so I tossed out anything that I thought was told old. I don't keep food that long at all. Depends on what it is but something like a cake I would only keep about a month in the freezer.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 38

LOL. That's funny. I would have to say that I still have a small slice of my wedding cake. I have been married for 5 years! I would never dream of eating it, though! I just didn't want to throw it away for some bizarre sentimental reason. At least it's just a small slice and not the entire cake, because I don't have a big freezer. icon_smile.gif

Angie

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 38

OMG...I just told this story to my husband and we are sitting here laughing so hard tears are running down our faces!!! Thanks for the morning laugh! icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 38

She could sell that thing to the Flintstones for tires! The oldest thing I have in my freezer is a pound of Plugra butter that did not get used for pastries this past Christmas. It will be used for Easter, tho!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

itsmylife Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 38

yeah, boy I tell you I was floored when I found out how old that thing was.

I had a 'Jenny Craig' frozen meal in my freezer that was about a year old and that's about it.

The problem is that this cake really takes up quite a bit of space in the freezer.....so now they moved it to their freestanding freezer in the garage. I asked her if they were going to pass it down to their kids when they are old enough to understand the responsibility that comes with caring for a billion year old cake. icon_lol.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 38

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That is so my mother and grandma!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I have such a phobia of freezer's because when I was growing up both of their philosophies was if it is in the freezer it's good FOREVER!!!!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif I'm still scared to put any of my cakes or icing or fillings in the freezer because I just have that freezer burn taste and look so fresh in my memory!!!! thumbsdown.gif I still don't think grandma has had anything for 32 years though!!!! Only because I make it a point to clean out her freezer at least once a year as well as the pantry!!!!! LOL!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 38

I just used a bag of raspberries out of my freezer that I got from my mom's freezer when she died 4 years ago. Believe it or not, they were good. I have some yeast for making pizza crust that I have had for at least 10 years. It still works fine.

The 32 year old cake will probably win the prize for sure!

Diane

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 38

When my folk moved about 5 years ago I went down to help them clear out their house and pack.... we found a bag of marshmallows from 1979.

Another one - my Gram taught us all how to bake.....I took to it more than the other cousins. She had this incredible family recipe for pound cake that her specialty. My cousin wanted to make it but it came out tasting awful....so Gram and I went over. She was going to show her exactly how to do it...I watched for more practice. My cousin pulls the tub of Crisco out of the closet and when she oppened it, it was so dang smelly. So my Gram checks the date.....It was 8 years old!!! We ate cake with 8 year old shortening!!! I thought my Gram was going to wet her pants, she laughed so hard!

lionladydi Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:23pm
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That is so my mother and grandma!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I have such a phobia of freezer's because when I was growing up both of their philosophies was if it is in the freezer it's good FOREVER!!!!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif I'm still scared to put any of my cakes or icing or fillings in the freezer because I just have that freezer burn taste and look so fresh in my memory!!!! thumbsdown.gif I still don't think grandma has had anything for 32 years though!!!! Only because I make it a point to clean out her freezer at least once a year as well as the pantry!!!!! LOL!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I can relate to that! When I moved my mom from the farm into a house in town, I had to smuggle half the stuff from the freezer into the garbage. If I asked about any item, she would tell me that it was still good. There were packages of stuff that I couldn't even identify. She would not throw anything away. We must remember though, they were raised during the depression when you couldn't throw anything away or you starved. icon_sad.gif

Diane

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:39pm
post #13 of 38

Last weekend my brother told me a story about helping clean out a house after an old man had passed away. This guy had gotten married in the 50s and there were packs of frozen meat and canned food dating back to the year of his wedding. This was somewhere around 2000 when they were cleaning the house.

The oldest thing in my freezer is about a year old.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:40pm
post #14 of 38

My gram used to buy things on sale and freeze them for later use. For example, milk and lunch meat. Needless to say, I didn't ddrink a lot of milk or eat a lot of sandwiches at her house! I would cringe every time I heard her open the back door to go get something out of the big chest freezer on the back porch. Loved her to death, but did not agree with her food storage choices at that time! Maybe that's why we don't do leftovers at my house, not that we usually have many with the boys in my house, but that's another story!

itsmylife Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 38

Now that you all have me thinking about this... when when we were cleaning out my Grandma's house about 10 years ago after she had to move in with my folks, we found a bucket in her basement that was full of cannoli shells. We were at the house in 1997, and the bucket was dated 1987.

We looked at the cannoli shells just out of curiousity, and they had a 'haze' on them (have no idea what sort of growth that was), but they still had their shape, which is amazing.

cakemomne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomne Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:46pm
post #16 of 38

I thought I was in the only family with old cake!! When my DH's family moved his grandma into an assisted living place, they found the top tier from my in-laws wedding cake in the bottom of her freezer. The cake was 25+ years old. My FIL actually ate some icon_surprised.gif

he said it was a little dry and stale icon_rolleyes.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:51pm
post #17 of 38

OMG, I can't say that I have anything even resembling "aged" in my freezer, but I do remember as a kid my granma (she was born in 1900) would save the coffee grounds and dry them and reuse them for the next days coffee. Thank God we weren't allowed to drink coffee when we were kids lol. But it just goes to show what lengths people went to during the depression to save what they could. Her and granpa did that til the day they passed. Saved the coffeegrounds and such and there were plenty of other things that she did because of living during the depression. But that's for another thread.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:54pm
post #18 of 38

A few months ago there was an article in the paper about a man who found a 40 year-old fruit cake in his attic. It was still good! I guess the rum really does help preserve it, but still........eewwwww!

Paintedlady201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paintedlady201 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:00pm
post #19 of 38

Wow, there's sentimental and then there's sentinmental. icon_eek.gif

This is not cake related but freezer related. My husband and I were in the Army about 12 years ago and we left and went on leave for a month. We asked some friends to stay in our place to watch our pets and take care of the place while we were gone.

Our friends owned a little bird (parakeet maybe?) and would let it out of it's cage to fly around. One night her dog caught it and broke it's neck. Instead of burying it or disposing of it in some other way, she decided to keep it in her freezer in a box. She said she was going to have it stuffed. icon_confused.gif

While we were gone they were getting ready to get out of the Army and since they were watching our house, they had pretty much packed up and moved out of theirs. They left about the time we were coming back from leave. When I got home and went into the freezer, I saw this little white box I didn't recognize. I opened it and saw their frozen little bird. They had accidently left it behind. Needless to say, I did not stuff it or send it to them. He went out the door into the field behind us. icon_rolleyes.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:14pm
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by suttle

So that got me to wondering.... what is the OLDEST thing in your freezer?

I would have to say that the oldest thing in my freezer is James Brown.

I wish they would get the DNA samples taken and lay him to rest already... our ice cream is starting to taste funny.

icon_surprised.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:16pm
post #21 of 38

In October 2006 I was visiting my family in Minnesota and decided to clean out the old upright freezer in my dad's garage. I fully expected to find a few things from the late 80s, as my mom passed away in 1990 and my dad just isn't the type to clean things out. However, I was surprised to find a pound block of lard...to my knowledge my mother never used lard in cooking. I asked my dad about it, and he remembered that he had brought it from his mother's freezer when he sold her house...in 1966!

As a side note, in my parent's living room there is a lovely crystal box that contains a perfectly preserved (and petrified) piece of fruit cake from their wedding in 1949. Slivers of it were given to all the single women in little boxes to put under their pillows and dream of their future husbands.

lsawyer Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:26pm
post #22 of 38

OMG....the bird story reminded me of a dog story. In 1986 I went to a friend's house for dinner. She just had her dog fixed and had sved his testicles in a bottle of fermaldahyde (sp?), which she kept in the fridge!! I haven't seen her in years, but I wonder about the bottle of her dog's manhood!!!

lionladydi Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:31pm
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsawyer

A few months ago there was an article in the paper about a man who found a 40 year-old fruit cake in his attic. It was still good! I guess the rum really does help preserve it, but still........eewwwww!

I have to differ with you on this one. I have never seen a fruitcake that was good--no matter how old or how young it was. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Guess that would take up another thread...............

How weird are your other friends??? Dog testicles in the refrigerator? That just about takes the cake (no pun intended). icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Diane

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:38pm
post #24 of 38

The oldest thing in my freezer is my first husband.

He complained about my cooking one too many times.... icon_evil.gif

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:43pm
post #25 of 38

lsawyer:
dog testicles?!!! OMG.
i laughed sooo hard. Thanks for the comedic break. i needed that. I can't imagine keeping them? What for? nevermind, i don't want to know why.icon_smile.gif

lsawyer Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:44pm
post #26 of 38

Diane, I agree with you re fruit cake....too many jokes about them for this thread!

I don't have too many weird friends, but they can be amusing at times! It's my family members who are the most weird--but I can't pick them.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:56pm
post #27 of 38

ENjoyed reading the freezer memories...
brought this one to mind for me.
My husband and I took a trip to visit my sister and family in Germany. A neighbor offered to check on our house from time to time while we were away.

We unplugged all the elctrical things like tv appliances etc. so we wouldn't have to worry about a power surge or anything...

When we got back our neighbor told us that a bird had flown down the chimney and that they were able to get it out of the house and all but that the garage had a bad smell that seemed to be getting worse and they weren't able to find a dead critter or anything.

Low and behold........that free turkey you get at Thanksgiving time from the grocery stores that was in the freezer in the garage was forgotten by us before we left and since we unplugged everything.......and had forgotten about it being in there.......it had defrosted and gotten really smelly!!!

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:17pm
post #28 of 38

I can almost understand how they felt, I was sick for my 1-year anniversary (pregnant). I took one bite out of my cake and laid back down. I was so sick that I never thought of keeping it for another year.

This isn't me, but someone I know married a pack rat decended from pack rats. I guess years (decades) ago, they got a good deal on soda and bought a bunch! He went to open a can and it was filled with air. Not a drop of soda in sight.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:27pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by suttle

This was his birthday cake when he was 7 years old (he is 39 now icon_eek.gif ). He had been sick on his 7th birthday, so they never ate the cake. Well, his mom had saved it for all these years (for sentimental reasons), and she 'passed' it on to him a few months ago.

Soooo, what does his grandma expected him to do with it? Certainly not eat it! icon_surprised.gif

Goodness! I try not to keep anything too long in my fridge! Yikes!

What a story!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:32pm
post #30 of 38

Wonderful thread. I'm going to clean out the freezer right now. God forbid that there's anything in there that's over a year old. (Except for the windshield washer blades by husband is storing for "future" use.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%