Painting With Food Coloring???

Decorating By fastcarsfreedom Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 12:04am by stikykitty

fastcarsfreedom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fastcarsfreedom Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:15am
post #1 of 17

I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to paint with food coloring?I mean I've tried it before and it seemed to work but took forever to dry. Any suggestions or help are very welcome. icon_smile.gif

16 replies
Leahmaria7981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahmaria7981 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:32am
post #2 of 17

I've only done it a couple of times on fondant. I tried it a couple of different ways but the best way I found was to get the food coloring pastes and dip my brust into the color then into the water and apply. When I just mixed it with the water I didn't get some of the darker colors I was looking for. As for the drying, I have no idea. I always leave mine out to dry overnight and it's usually good by the morning.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 9:58am
post #3 of 17

You need to mix the colours with a clear alcohol like gin or vodka ( you can even use lemon extract due to alcohol content ) it dries a lot faster & water tends to melt the fondant.
hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

julie

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 10:15am
post #4 of 17

I've learned something

Leonie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leonie Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 10:18am
post #5 of 17

Agree, always mix your food colours with clear alcohol if painting directly onto the fondant as it will be dry quicker and not penetrate the fondant. Sometimes better to leave to dry before adding a second coat. Make sure the Fondant has dried for at least 48 hours prior to painting as this avoids streaks.
Leonie, Brisbane, Australia

stikykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stikykitty Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 10:41am
post #6 of 17

Im also curious on how this may be done. icon_biggrin.gif

This one cake companycalled very different cakes was featured in Sugar Rush, Whats hot whats cool, I do diaries, celebrity weddings and Lifestyles of the rich and famous anyways their cakes are sooooo cute. Ahhh its like eye candy to me.icon_lol.gif
http://www.verydifferentcakes.com/
I saw the clip they had from Sugar Rush that showed a cake being painted. Its a really cute cake. As they were painting it they said she mixes shimmer dust, lemon extract and blue food coloring. Looks really fun! Im wondering if anyone else tried this?
By the way I fell in love with their 6 foot cake stand I want DH to make me one too! icon_cry.gif
LL

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 10:55am
post #7 of 17

How amazing... I was just thinking "I don't know if I can wait until I put these on cookies to post!"

Last night my DD asked me if we could make cookies that looked like the eggs she painted every Easter. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I promised I would try.

I've read how you have to mix your colors with a clear liquid or liquor, but didn't have any - so I took a chance on one - and this is what happened! I love it and they are DRY!

I used the Americolor squeeze bottles (shown) and just dipped a dry brush in them and painted the MMF.

*note - the Wilton color gels in the jars did NOT dry when painted by themselves*

I'm excited with the possibilities...

pics are a little blurry... as I am this morning! icon_rolleyes.gif

stikykitty Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 11:14am
post #8 of 17

They look really cute thumbs_up.gif
Love the colors is that the electric colors?

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 11:26am
post #9 of 17

Thanks!

All are electric (yellow, purple, green, orange) except the blue is "sky blue"...

just an afterthought note... this sets up fast and if you get enough on your brush and work quickly it's very "fluid" and nice. But if you let it get "tacky" and try to go over it, you'll end up with the "splotchiness" you can see in the purple.

*edited to say WOOHOO I just noticed 100 posts! icon_lol.gif *

fastcarsfreedom Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 17

thanx every1 for all the great ideas....I will def. give em a try. I love the easter egg cookies they looked amazing!!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 2:50pm
post #11 of 17

I have tried shimmer dust, food colour and clear lemon extract! It looks beautiful..I haven't finished it yet..a dummy cake so not posted but I painted it on with a wide brush and wide strokes.

I have in the middle of making all the flowers and have other cakes to do in the mean time but I expect to finish in the next couple of weeks!

Good luck..worked very well for me!

stephivey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephivey Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 17

I'm wondering what you use to clean your brushes? I painted some ladybugs for a cake recently and have had a terrible time getting the black gel coloring out. Wish I would have known about the lemon extract! Great tip!!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 17

On my Star Wars cake in my photos I painted the black and blue onto buttercream. I didn't have much in the way of alcohol so I used clear vanilla and mixed some Americolor with it. It worked great. I was able to get the colors to blend just like I wanted.

So painting works on bc just as well as fondant.

fastcarsfreedom Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 11:55pm
post #14 of 17

right on...I'm glad to hear that because I prefer not to use fondant if I can help it. Thanx!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 2:43am
post #15 of 17

[quote="JaneK"]I have tried Shimmer Dust, food colour and clear lemon extract! It looks beautiful..I haven't finished it yet..a dummy cake so not posted but I painted it on with a wide brush and wide strokes.]

Wilton Shimmer Dust--or luster dust?????

Rae

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:02am
post #16 of 17

I meant ....Luster dust mixed with food colour and clear lemon extract......I don't like shimmer dust at all...bought a pack at Michaels and it was useless..gave it away.

Edited to say: It isn't a good pic...just took one but doesn't show well with flash..I hope you can see the shimmer in the pic..it isn't decorated yet..this is a work in progress....
LL

stikykitty Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:04am
post #17 of 17

I am wondering if you use the luster dust with lemon extract and food coloring to paint a cake what kind of food coloring do you use? would airbrushing paint work? I just havent heard much on food coloring. thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%