Newbie In Los Angeles

Business By octopus Updated 10 Mar 2007 , 4:15am by albumangel

octopus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
octopus Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 8

hello!

I've been making cakes from home for a bit and have sold a few to friends. I now want to get the word around and try and sell more cakes on a regular basis. Do I still need a permit for this? Even if I don't have a store? and am mostly doing it word-of-mouth?

Also, my cakes so far have been falling out really expensive because I buy things form the store as I need them. Should I be buying in bulk? Where can I get bulk spplies in the Los Angeles area? Any tips for keeping quality up but taking prices down?

Thank you guys so much,
Mahira

7 replies
nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Mahira,
I've been getting stuff lately at Surfas in Culver City. I think its by far been my favorite find in the area even though it takes me about 30 minutes to get there. I know of a few other cake/cookie places I could let you know of if your interested.
~Nic

octopus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
octopus Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 8

definitely intersted Nic. Thank you! Are these bulk stores?

nichi Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 8

Surfas is a big resturant supply place but they have a lot of cake decorating stuff. Good for ingredients, chocolate fondant etc.

Also try Janes in Montrose http://www.janescakesandchocolates.com/
and deCroupets in Arcadia
http://www.cakesisters.com/

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 8

In California, selling home baked goods is not allowed. If you advertise, and are discovered, the health department will shut down your business. I don't know if there are fines. you also cannot get insurance.

many decorators do it, you just need to know the risks for yourself.

lizziegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziegirl Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 8

I'm in LA too. I have been doing it for a long time as well (from my home) just word-of-mouth for family and friends, but now I can't even do it for my kids school's bake sale, they need to be store bought.

nichi Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziegirl

I'm in LA too. I have been doing it for a long time as well (from my home) just word-of-mouth for family and friends, but now I can't even do it for my kids school's bake sale, they need to be store bought.

What is this world coming to, the might as well just ask people for cold hard cash, it would probably be easier. icon_sad.gif

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:15am
post #8 of 8

I'm also in LA, I run another business, and just started lightly researching doing cake decorating as a business. If you are going to go beyond friends & family, be careful! I am not as afraid of getting
caught by the Health Dept as I am of a lawsuit. People here are really sue-happy. If you own ANYthing, they can take it in a lawsuit if you are not protected by insurance. Without a business, you can't get insurance, and that's what keeps me at a "friends & family" level.

When I do "step out" eventually, I'll rent a licensed kitchen. I found several by searching on craig's list- they are a bit pricey, but less of an investment than trying to buy a storefront in LA!

Costco & Smart & Final are the places where I shop the most, but I haven't needed very large quantities. For smaller stuff, I'm always at Gloria's Cake supply in Mar Vista.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%