Laws Governing Selling Cakes From Home In Washington

Business By Lazy_Susan Updated 7 Feb 2006 , 12:17am by rochelle0123

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 6:00am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have any information on the laws in the state of Washingon governing the selling of baked goods out of your home? All my co-workers keep telling me that I should start my own business. They've even gone so far as to tell me I should contact the restaurants in the area and let them taste my cakes. If I did decide to do this I would have no clue where to start. Plus it would be very nice to be able to have my own Bakery one day and get out of the Respiratory Care business. I see tooooooooo much death and it is starting to get to me. I don't think I would have to worry about that in a Bakery.
Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Lazy_Susan icon_wink.gif

10 replies
Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 7:19am
post #2 of 11

bump...I want to know too.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 7:44am
post #3 of 11
Originally Posted by Schmoop

bump...I want to know too.

What part of Washington do you live in??? I don't want any competition!!!! LOL *just kidding* icon_wink.gif


Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 11

I am in Yakima. I saw you were in Vancouver and figured we would be ok that far away!

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 11

I am looking to do some kids party planning, provide invites, thank yous, favors and cakes. I think it will be awhile before I get up and running, I am doing stuff for friends right now. I have read alot about licsensing(sp?), are you concerned about doing anything with a licsence?

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 11

Ask your Business Licensing office in your city. I did have the same question last month and I called them..they are the best ones to ask ..every state is different..California does not allow it, it has to be prepared in a commercial kitchen , unless they want to go to jail !! icon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 11

Those candy wrappers are cool too.. If I had the " up front money". I would invest in doing those.. I have made some for myself. (my son's party) and they were a hit.. Everyone asked "where did you get those".. I was like" I made them, sorry I am not stocked to make anymore".. Felt bad, but I just didnt have the ink nor candy to do more.. Planning parties.. geez.. I could not tell you how many parties I have planned for free.. If I were to charge just for "my thoughts".. I WOULD BE RICH!!! as a matter of fact, I am planning a sweet sixteen.. Theme is Winter Wonderland.. Something different color baby blue, white and glass.. Using snowflakes as a starting point and going with it.. WISH ME LUCK! and best of wishes to your business!!!

HaileysMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaileysMom Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 11

I don't have an expert opinion or anything but my Wilton instructor suggested an interesting method for us here in Oklahoma. She said that if you run charge people for the consultation and the cake is free, then you can get around the legal jargon as being a consultant! I haven't tried it and haven't asked her any of the specifics or anything cause I'm still taking classes, but it's an interesting thought. Has anyone else heard of doing this or anything like it?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 11

If you exchange a cake for money, it doesn't matter what you call it, the health department (or the Depart of Agriculture) will be interested.

If your state has restrictions, and they "catch you" making cakes for the public, in an unlicensed kitchen, they can impose a very large fine.

The whole purpose is to protect the public from food borne illnesses. If you don't have a permit/license, and you haven't taken a food handling course, and you are not very careful, you can make someone sick with a cake. That is why most locations do not allow pets on the premises. Unless you sanitize all your surfaces before you start baking, animal hair can get into your goods. Not to mention what a cat can provide when they walk on your counters.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for the input JoAnnB, this is what I have been dreading all along! I worked in the restaurant industry for 10 years and saw how strict it was and nobody lived there and had kids running around.

rochelle0123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rochelle0123 Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 12:17am
post #11 of 11

We are planning to move to WA (Gig Harbor area) and had also looked at Vancouver, Yacolt, Battle Ground, Ridgefield, etc. Anyway, I had contacted the Clark County Health Board and they referred me to the state. Unfortunately, you cannot sell baked goods out of your home in WA. Oregon you can though (just an FYI). I have seen on commerical kitchens for rent in the Seattle area. You may even be able to find a church kitchen or a cafe that would be willing to rent out commerical kitchen space to you as needed, the Health Department would be okay with that if the kitchen has already been inspected.

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%