Good Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

Baking By montanakate Updated 8 Aug 2005 , 9:30pm by mjones17

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 2:31am
post #1 of 13

I'm looking for a good cream cheese frosting recipe, something a little closer to buttercream than a heavy cream cheese frosting. I haven't had much luck with the recipes I have.

12 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 4:12am
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanakate

I'm looking for a good cream cheese frosting recipe, something a little closer to buttercream than a heavy cream cheese frosting. I haven't had much luck with the recipes I have.

Just make your butter cream recipe and add cream cheese to it and leave out the flavoring.. That is all I do I use the Sweetex Shortening and the powder sugar and cream cheese and mix..

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 4:25am
post #3 of 13

Thanks, I'll try that. I need a pretty big batch too and all the other recipes seem like they wouldn't make enough. Thanks again

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 4:32am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanakate

Thanks, I'll try that. I need a pretty big batch too and all the other recipes seem like they wouldn't make enough. Thanks again

You can double or triple any recipe to make enough...

AimeeA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AimeeA Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 13

Do you leave out anything or do you just add the cream cheese? Basically, what is your recipe? Please, and thank you.

Aimee A

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 13

I do the same thing. Just add cream cheese to your buttercream.

Debbie

saranac2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saranac2000 Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 1:01am
post #7 of 13

Is the cream cheese used INSTEAD of any of the shortening the bc recipe normally calls for? Perhaps 1/2 shortening, 1/2 cream cheese? I really liked the flavor of a Wilton cream cheese frosting I tried but I was hoping it would've held up a little better-that recipe was cream cheese & butter, etc., no shortening.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 13

I used cream cheese in addition to the regular buttercream.

Deb

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 13

Deb, will this crust like the regular icing does w/the cream cheese in it? I have to make an Italian Cream Cheese cake with Cream Cheese icing for a groom's cake next month... I wanted to use an impression mat that I have on it ... from what I can understand about impression mats, you have to wait for the icing to crust to use them.. so I was wondering by adding the cream cheese to the regular buttercream icing recipe, would it crust?

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by saranac2000

Is the cream cheese used INSTEAD of any of the shortening the bc recipe normally calls for? Perhaps 1/2 shortening, 1/2 cream cheese? I really liked the flavor of a Wilton cream cheese frosting I tried but I was hoping it would've held up a little better-that recipe was cream cheese & butter, etc., no shortening.

I LOVE that recipe too, but I had the same problem, with it not holding up well. I added extra powdered sugar and some meringue powder and it was a little better last time.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 13

I've gotten rave reviews from this crusting cream cheese recipe. I haven't made it yet but several others from here have and they love it. I got the recipe form someone on the wilton site.

Ok here is the recipe:

CRUSTING CREAM CHEESE ICING

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioner's sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.

This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.

If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing. Then smooth with the non-printed side of a Viva paper towel.

saranac2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saranac2000 Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 8:36pm
post #12 of 13

Would there be any problem using all shortening? Or maybe the butter flavored kind if the color change wasn't an issue?

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 9:30pm
post #13 of 13

I was wondering the same thing because I really don't like butter. I use the faux fondant recipe so that I don't have to use butter in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%