Air Brush Question

Decorating By KCsmom98 Updated 31 Jan 2006 , 7:53pm by sweetcakes

KCsmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCsmom98 Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 3

here i go with another question'icon_redface.gif' I am wanting to try my hand at air brushing. A lot of the cakes that i see on here that are airbrushed are amazing, and my husband, who is a closet artist, would be helping me alot with the airbrush work. (he just don't know it yet). Since I am just starting out, I don't have a whole lot of money to buy a "professional" airbrush set. I would like to purchace one for under $100., if that is possible. My question is this, would the airbrush set that you find in the local craft stores, or Wal-Mart, that you use to airbrush model cars and such work for airbrushing cakes. If so, what kinds of colors would i have to get to work with it? I didn't know if it would work or not, so that's why i'm asking the pros here at CC. You guys always give such great advice. Thanks, Jen.

2 replies
elliott1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliott1 Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 3

I have the same ? I found this air brush kit http://www.silkpaint.com/airpen/index.htm and was wondering if anyone has used it. My mom can get it out of her CraftersChoice mag and it is only $99. would like to try this first to see if I should get one of the kopykake kits

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 3

The airpen that Elliot shows is not an airbrush that sprays colour. You can use that with royal icing, chocolate etc to pipe lace or fine details. You can use any airbrush to decorate a cake with, it is the compressor that you have to be selective on. one that is not too powerful so it blows holes in the icing. the thinner the medium used, in our case, the thinnest (food colouring) then the less pressure you will need. If you do alot of cakes, and your hubby is a closet artist, he'll love it too, i really suggest being patient and saving up for a kopy kake airmaster. if you spend 50-70 now, but it doesn;t end up suitable for your needs then you just wasted 50 bucks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%