What To Wear?

Business By bonnebouche Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 10:18pm by CoutureCake

bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:29am
post #1 of 18

Hello everyone. I have two questions. What is considered the proper attire when you are perorming cutting service at a wedding? Do you dress up or wear one of those white chef outfits? Second question - does anyone know where I can get a cake comb - not one of the plastic triangle things but the kind with a handle and long tines? I tried ebay and only found one auction tonight that had two but they were mixed in with some other utensils. I would like a nice new one to serve cake with. I saw a tutorial on CC that showed a lady using one for that purpose and it worked wonderfully.

17 replies
Deani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deani Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:41am
post #2 of 18

A nicely starched apron? If you have a logo have that put on it discreetly then wear it over a nice outfit.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:44am
post #3 of 18

I have one of those cake combs and I love it. I have had it for almost 27 years. I'm sorry I can not remember where I purchased it, but I think it was at a kitchen store. I'm talking about the kitchen store with high end kitchen gadgets and appliances. I am addicted to gadgets for kitchens. As far as what to wear, I have only served if I have been invited to the wedding, so I do not know what the proper etiquette is for serving as a worker/baker.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:45am
post #4 of 18

I would wear a chef coat.
I have seen that cake cutting thing at williams sonoma. For soft cakes.

I was looking at it wondering what it was. My friend asked and they said it was for cutting cake. They do not have it online but I did see it in there store last week. HTH!

bonnebouche Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:51am
post #5 of 18

Thanks for your input and for answering my questions. I am off to WS tomorrow!!!!!!

bonnebouche Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:02am
post #6 of 18

Just found out that the tool I was searching for is called a "cake breaker". Found a bunch of them on ebay!!!!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:47am
post #7 of 18

I agree... wear the chef coat... Bring a half-apron along or at least a roll of paper towels so you can wipe the cutting utensil or your hands off every once in a while..

I also would suggest using cutting utensils you're used to working with. A long serrated (bread) knife is what I usually use and it works great. One of the caterers back home uses something that resembles a samuri sword for their cuttings icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Above all else, bring it as a backup!! icon_biggrin.gif

The company that we've used MANY times for things like this is "Replacements Ltd." they're AWESOME and you can match just about anything you can imagine up (you can get it to match your silverware set if you want).. www.replacementsltd.com is their website and they're GREAT on the customer service (they are also one of those companies that likes the phone more than the internet for some things).. I've seen tons of those cutters advertised on there..

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 6:01am
post #8 of 18

If you put up google and the cake breaker there are some beauties. What o earth are they for though? They do look great for straightening the hair!

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 6:01am
post #9 of 18

I'm not sure about the chef coat....whenever I would serve for social events, including weddings, it was always a NICE pair of black slacks, white button down shirt and an apron with black shoes.

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 18

I do both catering and cakes. I always wear nice black slacks, white shirt, lightweight black blazer & black shoes. I wear a white apron, monogrammed with my logo over this while I'm setting up, then remove apron once event has started.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 18

If I'm not a Chef, I would not wear a chef coat, when a nice, clean apron with logo.

White shirt, black pants and comfy shoes if you're not part of the party..

business attire if you are.

CoutureCake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 18

Whatever you decide to wear... Plan for it to get messy! That's why I suggested the chef's coat because it's something you can take off as soon as you're done cutting because the shirt you wear under it will still look like a professional. It's like giving a little boy a bath... you often ask the question "how did THAT get THERE????" for where all the frosting and cake goes because cutting cake is NOT the cleanest job on earth but you do need to be able to look clean before and after you're done.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

Whatever you decide to wear... Plan for it to get messy! That's why I suggested the chef's coat because it's something you can take off as soon as you're done cutting because the shirt you wear under it will still look like a professional. It's like giving a little boy a bath... you often ask the question "how did THAT get THERE????" for where all the frosting and cake goes because cutting cake is NOT the cleanest job on earth but you do need to be able to look clean before and after you're done.

the only thing you can really wear under a chef coat is a plain white t-shirt to absorb sweat!

Those coats are HOT! and I don't mean in the COOL sense..lol

CoutureCake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:29pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

the only thing you can really wear under a chef coat is a plain white t-shirt to absorb sweat!

Those coats are HOT! and I don't mean in the COOL sense..lol

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I only have short sleeved chef coats because the long sleeve ones I can't get the sleeves to stay rolled up high enough (I've got hips so can NEVER find a chef coat that fits my hips, is within my budget, and the shoulder seam doesn't come down to my elbows).. I'm a "Freeze-baby" so when my icing is melting I'm thinking that the room is comfortably warm. But, usually I wear a nice, simple white shirt under the chef coat with the plan that I'm going to have the sleeves bunched up to my elbows and when I'm done working on whatever I'm working on the sleeves come down so I can be warm.. Then, when I take the jacket off, I still look presentable. I guess I'm one of those people who doesn't sweat much (I also am never seen in shorts)..

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:39pm
post #15 of 18

I also vote for the chef's jacket. Aside from it protecting your clothes, the guests will know you did the cake even if you are not standing next to it. Might be a good way to drum up more business.

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:47pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by meggylou

I also vote for the chef's jacket. Aside from it protecting your clothes, the guests will know you did the cake even if you are not standing next to it. Might be a good way to drum up more business.

They might also think you had something to do with the meal if it is catered. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to upset anyone! I also have to agree with risquebusiness...If I wasn't a chef, I wouldn't wear the coat. I still say go with the nice attire and an apron with your logo or business name.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:56pm
post #17 of 18

LeeAnn- A cake breaker is used to cut and serve Angel Food or other foam cakes. If you are not very careful with a serrated knife, you will wind up squishing a foam cake- and drive the baker of the cake to screaming hysterics. (OK- so I overreact, but I am very proud of my Golden Sponge Cake. Which reminds me that I need to get a new breaker-my old one disappeared when I remodeled the kitchen.)

CoutureCake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 10:18pm
post #18 of 18

There is a great story by Jacques Torres in the book "How I Learned to Cook" (it's chapters each written by a different chef) about going into a uppety place on a bet with a buddy, never having worked in ANY restaurant before and getting told "be back in an hour in uniform" (chef's jacket/pants).. Everyone has to start somewhere...

The thing is, people know you're some-how tied in with the food in the jacket. If you're not with the caterer they usually know because you aren't wearing the same thing as the caterer. I've been in competitions and the first thing I was told once I maneuvered my way through the crowd and security "Your entry ticket is your jacket"(I had my jacket in the car "just in case") so in order to attend, I had to have the jacket on to get to the places I needed to be for the competition even though I'm not trained as a chef (I have studied for years at the Culinary Institute of Hard Knocks if that's any idea).

The jacket also is something that if you need to get into the kitchen to just simply wash frosting off your hands or a knife, you aren't going to be met by security or 30 questions -- e v e r! I've learned that if I want to just be left alone to work until I'm done by the caterers when delivering a cake, wear the jacket because the second you're done they flock with questions, but not a second before icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif It just sets a tone that "I'm WORKING" and if people want to approach and ask for a card, etc. they can do it, but to non-verbally please wait until I have completed my job. OTOH, if I'm not wearing a jacket, I get the swarm and it annoys the heck out of me because I'm trying to get stuff done without interruption and EVERYONE, coordinators, bar staff, janitors, etc. all want to get a piece of me that second and can't wait icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif .. It's good for getting the job done right as quickly as possible without anyone bugging you about technique shhh.gifshhh.gifshhh.gifshhh.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%