Cake Fillings 1 - 2 Inches High!!!!!

Decorating By MariaLovesCakes Updated 31 Jan 2006 , 1:40pm by MariaLovesCakes

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 10

Now, please explain to me what kind of fillings are used for filling a cake from what it looks like as tall a the cake layer itself!

I have seen them filled with fillings that are very high and don't seem to have a dam to hold them in! icon_eek.gif

I am guessing a thick mousse type filling? Thick buttercream mixed with berries or other flavorings?

Anyone knows or done this?

9 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 10

Usually some form of a setting mousse, something with gelatine added and sometimes ice cream. Most of these cakes are sponge cakes, so the cake itself is thinner quite often. Many are made by placing them in a ring or mold, layer the cake and filling and refrigerating until set, then unmolded. Often the molds are rings or springform pans.
Hugs Squirrelly

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Usually some form of a setting mousse, something with gelatine added and sometimes ice cream. Most of these cakes are sponge cakes, so the cake itself is thinner quite often. Many are made by placing them in a ring or mold, layer the cake and filling and refrigerating until set, then unmolded. Often the molds are rings or springform pans.
Hugs Squirrelly

You can also do the same thing with a thick ganache and mudcake.
Very rich and sickly sweet though, but even so i have had requests for such cakes!!
Didn't make them though, in hot weather a wedding cake made like this wouldn't hold.
Nati

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 10

I have a recipe that uses cheesecake in the middle. You make them seperate and then assemble the layers.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, I guess we would have to see the exact cake you are asking about. Not sure if you saw the show but Martha Stewart did these little desserts with layered mousse on top of a cake/brownie type base. If you go on her site under shows you can do a search for Triple-Chocolate Mousse Cake. She used a parchment ring around the cake part and then layer mousse on top of them using the parchment to keep it in place until set.
Hugs Squirrelly

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 6:30am
post #6 of 10

Those kinds of cakes are really popular here. They are almost all made with a type of mousse or flavored whipped cream-both with added gelatine. They are all made with a ring, too. You can buy the rings made out of acetate at a lot of online cake supply places.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cande

Those kinds of cakes are really popular here. They are almost all made with a type of mousse or flavored whipped cream-both with added gelatine. They are all made with a ring, too. You can buy the rings made out of acetate at a lot of online cake supply places.

Thank you all! So that's the "secret." The rings they use to get them that well rounded.

So I guess they have different size rings to shape for each cake?

Its very interesting.

Squirelly:

I have seen these kind of cakes in TV shows and also books. But never really paid much attention until recently.

The latest I saw was on the Sugar Rush TV show where this girls that I can't remember her name now but makes amazing cakes out of fondant, made this basket of apples.

I missed the part when she filled the cake, go figure!
But here cake filling was quite thick!!!!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 2:15am
post #8 of 10

FYI- the girl you saw on Sugar Rush was Elissa Strauss (I think that's her last name)- owner of Confetti Cakes. She's on the food network all of the time. I watched this too, but I missed seeing her filling.

I was at a bridal show yesterday and one of the cake samples had a layer of buttercream with berries that was almost as thick as the cake layers. Not my favorite, but I like cake with a little icing.

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLovesCakes

So I guess they have different size rings to shape for each cake?

Actually, most things here are just adjustable, which is quite practical-you don't need to buy different sizes of everything. I know I have saved a ton of money not having to repurchase all of my cake pans!! I just bought 3 cake rings, and they adjust to all of the cake sizes I need. Same with the acetate bands. thumbs_up.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 1:40pm
post #10 of 10

Can someone give me a link to where I could purchase these rings? Or can I get them locally?

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%