??? For Edible Image Experts....(I Know You Are Out There)

Decorating By IHATEFONDANT Updated 28 Jan 2006 , 8:19pm by IHATEFONDANT

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 11

OK...gonna try this and am a nervous wreck.

I have 8" round icing sheets that are attached to a square backing.

I have read the directions that came with the sheets and it tells me to remove the round circle, from the backing, place it in my copier and feed the sheet through the machine to print. Is that what I really do??

I have visions of ink all over the place and have images of the circle breaking apart, as it feeds through the machine.

My husband, who told me he was a computer wiz to get me to marry him, has now said he is not sure how this will work as he cannot picture how what I have scanned will print only on that cake sheet circle.

Can someone help me, before I make a mess of this printer and divorce my "computer wiz" husband?? icon_cry.gif

Thank you in advance.

10 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 11

I've never printed on the rounds, but when i have done the sheets i have always left the backing on to print. I wouldn't think the thing would hold together and thats if you could get a round to feed straight.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 11

I'm not expert by any means but putting the icing sheet through without the backing doesn't sound right! I've always peeled them off just before placing them on the cake. I've never run round paper through a printer either for that matter! Where did you get your icing sheets?

Debbie

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 11

Some people have been having issues removing backing sheets after printing (because the sheets get very moist from the ink) so some of the companies are now recommending that you remove the backing prior to printing. I don't think it's good advice. It'll be harder to allign the sheet in the printer, can gum up your roller and can lead to torn sheets. I'd leave the backing sheet on and then if you have trouble removing it from the backing, allow the image to dry longer or use a blow dryer to speed up the process.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 11

I don't take the backing sheet off until AFTER printing. I can't imagine it lining up properly without the backiing sheet!

IHATEFONDANT Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 11

I ordered the KopyKake sheets from Sugarcraft....I thought the same thing, about removing the backing.

AFter reading some of the threads here I also checked the date on the sheets themselves...they supposedly have a long shelf life, if sealed properly. I remembered some members having issues with sheets drying out and breaking.

Thanks for the help everyone...I let you know how I make out.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 11

I don't think that would work IHATEFONDANT,
Your computer and printer are formatted for the square sheets (paper not necessarily the frostiing part) You can center your image for it to print in the round area of the page. But you still need to have the paper backing on it and your printer set on the envelope setting for thicker paper. It all depends on your image and it's size. And how you format your image to your paper.
Hope this helps ya, sometimes the manufacturers don't know what the heck they are talking about, sheesh!!!!
o btw ladies and gents:
If your "paper" dries out, you can mist it lightly with water either from a mister bottle or an airbrush. I emphasize "lightly" though. and let it sit for a coupla minutes before you put it in your printer.

Lisa Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 11

I just thought I'd add too that I think it's easier to print rounds onto the 7.5 x 10" sheets rather than the 7.5" rounds. They cost the same and all you have to do is cut them out then you can use the scraps for other projects like stamping or coloring on.

IHATEFONDANT Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks Lisa...never thought of that... icon_cry.gif ..but have the package of the round and those suckers cost an arm and a leg..so will use them...

Lisa Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:48pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

Thanks Lisa...never thought of that... icon_cry.gif ..but have the package of the round and those suckers cost an arm and a leg..so will use them...

They sure do...no matter what shape you get. That's why I try not to waste even the scraps icon_smile.gif

IHATEFONDANT Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 11

UPDATE:

Total disaster....could not get the printing correct. The colors were horrid.

Sooooooooo..threw the whole mess in the trash. I just don't have the time or the patience to mess with it.....if they want images they will have to get someone else to do them. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%