Thank You Cake For Nurses?

Decorating By Alien_Sunset Updated 29 Jan 2006 , 1:43am by veejaytx

Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 10

My father is in the hospital (but recovering nicely, whew!) and when he gets out I would like to make a 'thank you' cake for the floor nurses that took care of him during his stay.

Usually (he spends a lot of time in the hospital lately) we get them something like a candy bouquet, or a large fruit basket, but this time I want to practice my cake making skills.

There are quite a few nurses, so it will likely be a 1/2 sheet cake.

I was thinking about doing something like the flower cake in the back of the Wilton course 1 book.
(this one)

But having the stems come together to spell out "thank you."

I'm not sure if this is too boring or not. Opinions?

9 replies
Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 10

I think that sounds like a Great Idea! I'm sure they will love it! I myself work in a hospital, and believe me, they appreciate Food!

I know the exact cake your talking about, and It's a beautiful cake!

Glad to hear you're dad is doing better!

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 10

Sounds great! I'm sure they'll appreciate your thoughtfullness, it's a lovely gesture.

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 10

As a former nurse, I can second that they do like food. Helps keep your energy up for those hectic shifts. That sounds like a really cute decorating design too.

Roxy531985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxy531985 Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 10

I think it is a wonderful idea, and no matter what design you choose I'm sure that it will be greatly appreciated!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 3:56am
post #6 of 10

A friend of mine is a nurse and used to work in the ER! They all loved getting food...especially cake! I think any design you choose saying thank-you will be fine. icon_smile.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 10

I am in the same situation, and I too will be making the sheetcake, but I was thinking of topping it with a "doll" cake complete with a nurses cap and angel wings.......... Do you think that is to much ?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 10

I haven't made a cupcake cake yet, but that might be an alternative to the sheet cake and be easier for the nurses to pick up one and go about their business. Just a thought!

grama_j (I am known as grama Jan in my family), I love the idea of the doll/nurse! Janice

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 10

Hi Grama-JAN......... I'm grama Johnson....... with all the "blended" families now a days, I dubed myself Grama-J, to make it easier on the kids....... LOL !

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 1:43am
post #10 of 10

Hi grama_j, I'm still trying to figure out how I got Grama Jan, when my DIL's mom got called "Pat-Pat" instead of "grama Pat" LOL! I'm only grama to one, step-grama to two, we have a very small family!

Hope you will post pictures of your doll nurse when you get it finished! Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%