Candy Pricing

Sugar Work By sandy1 Updated 9 Apr 2007 , 8:10pm by sandy1

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 6

I have an order for a bridal shower; long stem candy roses. I will be making large candy rose buds with painted green leaves. I'm planning on wrapping the long lollipop sticks with green floral tape and covering the candy buds with candy bags tied with long ribbon. Can any of you help me with pricing these? I'm wondering if $1.50 - $1.75 is reasonable??? I want to be fair to both the customer and myself.
Sandy

5 replies
candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 6

I make alot of candy. When I am determining the price, here is what I do:
I make a sample. Then I weigh it. Say it weighs 1 ounce. Then I know I get 16 of them out of a pound of candy. Then I add in all my costs, colors, cello bags, ribbon, & anything else. Then I price accordingly.

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 2:49am
post #3 of 6

Calculate what it costs you to make them, plus your time and check around the area and see what a store would charge. Here in NY a candy rose like you described goes for $3.00 no kidding. So good luck!

sandy1 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your responses. The woman I'm making them for told me on April 2nd that she wanted at least 45 of them. She said it might be a good idea to make a few more in case she broke some while placing them at the shower. I made 50 of these roses and the woman just called me today and said she only wants 40 of them. She told me she wanted to kept the cost for the shower down! I told her that I had already made 50 of them. But she said she only wanted 40. I didn't ask for any money prior to making them. Should I ask for a nonrefundable deposit before I take candy orders??? This puts a bitter taste in my mouth. People don't seem to take into consideration the amount of time we spend making these things!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1

Thanks for your responses. The woman I'm making them for told me on April 2nd that she wanted at least 45 of them. She said it might be a good idea to make a few more in case she broke some while placing them at the shower. I made 50 of these roses and the woman just called me today and said she only wants 40 of them. She told me she wanted to kept the cost for the shower down! I told her that I had already made 50 of them. But she said she only wanted 40. I didn't ask for any money prior to making them. Should I ask for a nonrefundable deposit before I take candy orders??? This puts a bitter taste in my mouth. People don't seem to take into consideration the amount of time we spend making these things!

You're right, people are very inconsiderate! icon_mad.giftapedshut.gifthumbsdown.gif In response to your question, I don't ask for a nonrefundable deposit on candy or cookie orders per se, BUT I do ask for one on WEDDING and big event orders. For example if someone ordered 8 dozen decorated cookies for an event, I would ask for some $$ up front to be applied to the final order. I've found that people say a lot of things, but when they are forced to fork out the dough they are now obligated to it... icon_twisted.gif I know this leaves a bad taste in your mouth, but think of it as experience. You'll never have this one again!! icon_lol.gif Hope that helps some! icon_smile.gif

sandy1 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 6

Your absolutely right that we learn by our mistakes. I will, in the future ask for a deposit so I can purchase the supplies I need. I will let them know that in the future they will need to pay for the extras they have requested if I have already made them. I will request at least a two week notice for any changes in the orders.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%