I'm Out Of Oil - Now What????

Decorating By bjfranco Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 1:30pm by gmcakes

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:16am
post #1 of 14

I got a call for a last minute cake for tomorrow evening. I said I would do it because I thought I had everything to bake the cake tonight. I am out of oil!!!!!!!!!! <Fried Pork Chops the other night and forgot that I used it all!>

I bake from box cake mixes. Can I use butter/margine in lieu of oil? If so, how much? I thought I remember a butter chocolate cake mix that used butter in lieu of oil but now I am second guessing myself. icon_confused.gif HELP! icon_cry.gif

I hope to get some responses tonight as I would love to get the baking done tonight.

Thanks for the help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:22am
post #2 of 14

I think you can substitute apple sauce for oil-equal amounts

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:23am
post #3 of 14

I was gonna say the same thing, but that doesn't usually help me, because I never have applesauce either. icon_confused.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:23am
post #4 of 14

I know you can use butter instead of the oil, I even heard once that made a chocolate cake taste better, I haven´t tried it myself and I really don´t know how much to replace it for... sorry!
If you have applesauce you can also use that to replace the oil. HTH. Good luck!
Hope somebody can give you the correct amounts!

tdun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdun Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:23am
post #5 of 14

yes u can use butter in place of oil the same amount my sisterinlaw always uses butter anyway.

bjfranco Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:28am
post #6 of 14

No applesauce on hand either! I have made the chocolate cake mix before with only butter and it was probably on of the best choco cakes (non-doctored)that I have tasted. Although I could not remember the measurements

Thanks Tdun, I am going to go bake right now. I thought I could but I just needed some back up!!

Thanks to everyone for the fast responses!

bj

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:28am
post #7 of 14

Knock on your neighbor's door. That's what they are there for. (Unless you're east coast and then it's too late)

bjfranco Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:33am
post #8 of 14

I'm in the south and my neighbors keep farmer's hours. They have long been in bed. icon_smile.gif I already thought about that looking out my windows to see who might be awake! icon_lol.gif

bj

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:04am
post #9 of 14

i always exchange the oil for mayo or miracle whip...generally mayo, but when i was at my parents house, i used miracle whip and it still worked...very moist!

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:41am
post #10 of 14

Yes, MAYO would work! It is mostly oill based, and makes a very moist cake!!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 14

I have melted Crisco in the microwave (let it cool slightly) and used with no problem. thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 12:14pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjfranco

No applesauce on hand either! I have made the chocolate cake mix before with only butter and it was probably on of the best choco cakes (non-doctored)that I have tasted. Although I could not remember the measurements

Thanks to everyone for the fast responses!

bj

I think you would replace the same amount of butter for oil.

Cake_Princess

bjfranco Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:04am
post #13 of 14

Well, I wanted to update everyone........... I replaced the oil with butter and used the same meausure for the oil and the cake was wonderful! They told me the cake was delicious and very moist! Here's a pic of the cake! Thanks a bunch!

bj
LL

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 14

Glad it worked out for you, great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%