How Would You Like To Get Caught Bad Talking Colettes Cake

Decorating By julzs71 Updated 8 Feb 2006 , 4:11am by goodcakefairy

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 5:14pm
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan89

I found the posts to be extremely diffucult to follow, so I am not sure I was able to read the attacks on Collette. The only "negative" comment I read, was that Collette's cakes are begining to look alike. Please, someone let me in on what the childish, condensing statements were, because I was expecting much worse! The last time I checked we live in the United States of America and we are allowed to our own opinion. I am not condoning people being rude or obnoxious, Im saying people can be critical of other peoples work. I think it is a scary concept that people think it is ignorant if another person does not like someones work! Just as another poster said before me, Collette has put her self in the public eye, she is a public figure and that opens you up for critique! Once again, maybe I was unable to find the horrible things people were saying about Collette, if this is case, please fill me in!!

Hey kiddo, the childish condescending comments were in reference to the following:
the post about the least professional people on the least professional sites making the worst criticisms and references to the more professional sites with the more professional decorators and so on. The comment about people who can't get their icing to stick to their cake daring to make comments etc.
The comments about Coletter being a judge favourite and therefore winning because she was more or less the judge's pet.
The comments about her cakes always looking the same and that she takes designs from other people without giving them credit.
Those kinds of comments.
It is a difficult site to navigate beause of the way the posts are linked to other posts within the same thread, you don't pull up all of the posts on the same topic.
It isn't the fact that anyone would dare to voice an opinion about who their favourites are or who should have won in their opinion, it is the petty way in which the comments are made. And the fact that once Colette commented, people either backtracked or became more offensive because they were caught.
Hugs Squirrelly

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 5:28pm
post #32 of 43

Thanks Squirelly! Ok, lemme just say, I still do not think there comments were that awful. Had they been calling her names or judging her character, then yes, I could why they would be in the wrong. But, I have to say, they were critiquing Collete, those were there opinions, and I think they entilted to them. I would hate for someone to tell me, I am not allowed to say that I think so and so is very unoriginal, that I am ignorant or childish. I find it strange that people are upset that the people on the other website are critiziing Collete, and that is not ok, but it is ok for members here to say critical things about the people on the other website. It doesnt make sense to me! Anyways, maybe Im just crazy, can cake do that to you???

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 5:32pm
post #33 of 43

Amen, Meghan!

Can anybody tell me what all the little green laughing men have to do with anything? Janice

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 5:40pm
post #34 of 43

I think we are all agreed that constructive criticism can be enormously helpful -- when the person receiving it is there to receive it; and I think that we can all agree that opinions are entitled to everyone. But it's all in the way you present your opinion that truly matters.

My feeling is that we all have an obligation to be courteous and respectful to each other, to other board posters, and especially to those who are presumably not there to defend themselves from said criticism. It all comes down to manners and remembering that words hurt as much as other weapons when weilded in an unseemly manner. In this venue, you never know for sure who is reading what you have to say -- so say it with sugar rather than vinegar!

Just my .02 that no one asked for...as usual! LOL icon_lol.gif
Diane

swtperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swtperfection Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 5:44pm
post #35 of 43

peacock place that was exactly my intent with my comment too. To keep things lighthearted. You are right it didnt work.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 5:46pm
post #36 of 43

At least there is some anouniminity online! : ) I wouldn't want to get caught saying anything negative about this great talent. I do love MOST of her work, but there is a personality factor to consider. She isn't going to be able to fascinate every person the same way. Also, once you get to celebrity status... even in the cake world, people's expectations are incredibly high. I'm sure she knows this. : ) I didn't read the post you are referring to, but I do believe that Colette KNOWS she's good and isn't bothered by a little criticism! Big talents can handle it! : ) I think she is amazing and would love to watch her work (in person)!

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 5:48pm
post #37 of 43

Either they are REALLY hard to find, or they've been deleted, but I didn't see anything that bad. I think only those who got in on the discussion early got to read all the posts. Guess that's what you get when you come in late icon_sad.gif

Kelly

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 7:08pm
post #38 of 43

I think the offensive posts must have been deleted. I didn't see anything bad in the posts I skimmed.

I'm blanking on the name, but there is a purse designer from Indiana that is wildly popular. I think the purses are ugly as sin and she's gotten wealthy off of them. I'm pretty sure that designer doesn't give a hoot about whether or not I like her purses. Ditto for Collette. She is mega famous in the cake world and extemely talented. I doubt she spends much time worrying about what folks on the cake boards are saying about her. Prolly to busy counting her money. Cha-ching!

As for people who aren't famous decorators not being able to comment on cake design, that's just plain silly. You don't need expertise in cake decorating to know whether or not you like something. Brides pick cake designs based on what they think is the prettiest. They don't say, "Oh, wait. Let me go intern at a bakery first so I can properly evaluate your cake design." icon_razz.gif

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 7:16pm
post #39 of 43

I just wanted to comment on the "more professional" boards vs. the "less professional". The "more professional" board they were referring to is a site frequented by professional pastry chefs who work for large hotel chains and ritzy restaurants.

mudpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudpie Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 7:50pm
post #40 of 43

2 Q's about sugarcraft:

1)
Anyone have suggestions on how to navigate that site?

2)
How does a person do a search on that site?

It's not very user friendly from what I've seen. Anyone mastered it?

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 10:17pm
post #41 of 43

Here's the main entrance: http://www.sugarcraft1.com/board/

I used to frequent there from like '99 to '03, the format just takes some getting used to, I guess. It's a basic hierarchy type thing -- look at the dates after the subject line to make it easier.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 10:56pm
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBaker

I just wanted to comment on the "more professional" boards vs. the "less professional". The "more professional" board they were referring to is a site frequented by professional pastry chefs who work for large hotel chains and ritzy restaurants.

Curiosity is starting to get to me on this one...lol. icon_razz.gif I wonder who the "less professional" or "less experienced people just trying to keep their icing from sliding off their cake" are?? And I wonder if the people who made these comments have "just the right amount of experience" or are "semi-professional"?? icon_confused.gificon_razz.gif Kind of sounds like a Goldilocks complex....lol. (Just being silly here - nothing nasty intended) icon_razz.gif

**edited to add: Do you have to join to post there? Or can just anyone go in willy-nilly and post away?

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 4:11am
post #43 of 43

As someone born with a foot-shaped mouth, that so sounds like something I would do! icon_redface.gif

THAT'S why I read all posts twice before hitting "submit." To make sure I REALLY want a comment under my name.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%