Have Question Regarding Using A Kitchen Aide Mixer

Decorating By waterm Updated 8 May 2007 , 1:31am by shaloop

waterm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waterm Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 12:20am
post #1 of 25

I am sure this question gets asked alot and I know I saw the answer somewhere, but of course, now I can't find it. I am using the standard Wilton bc recipe that includes crisco, 2 tbs of h20, flavoring, meringue powder, and powdered sugar. My mom is graciously allowing me to try her ka tomorrow instead of my hand mixer. How long do I cream crisco, and then how long do I run with the rest of the ingredients in?? Also, what attachment do I use-thanks icon_redface.gif

24 replies
neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 12:47am
post #2 of 25

I use the paddle attachment. I cream the shortening until it looks fluffy, maybe 2-3 min. on med. speed. I add in the sugar slowly. 1 cup at a time and a little water between each. I let the mixer go at medium/low for a few minutes after all the ingredients are in just until it looks right.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:49am
post #3 of 25

it definitely will go MUCH faster than you are used to.

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:52am
post #4 of 25

Ok, so if you splurged and got the xlarge ?6qt KA how many times do you increase the recipe to get it to work right? It's the one thing I cannot get right in my KA, so I have a sunbeam at home, and a 60qt Hobart at work =P

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:59am
post #5 of 25

I have a KA stand mixer, the professional series one where the bowl lifts up. I can successfully make a single or a double, or even a triple recipe of Wilton Buttercream (although I use half butter, half shortening for better flavour).
I measure in the butter and shortening first, and mix with the paddle attachment on low speed. Then I add in my flavourings and water (or milk) and continue to mix on low speed. Then, while still mixing, I gradually add in the meringue powder and the icing sugar, mixing only on low speed. I scrape the bowl once, and mix again on low just until smooth. If you overmix it, or mix it at too high a speed, you will end up with a lot of air in your icing, which can make some decorating more difficult.
Once you make it in a KA, you will never want to go back to a hand mixer!
Enjoy!
icon_smile.gif

Edited 'cause I forgot something...

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:05am
post #6 of 25

I actually took my ka to work so that I could make bc (there's only a 20 and n 80 monsters at work). Now if I wanted to make enough frosting to put every diabetic in the county in the hospital I would use the monsters. LOL

waterm Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 25

Thanks for the info! You know I don't even know what ka model she has. I look forward to trying it out! I may be over at my parents every week to make my class icing-hey, they can play with one of the grandkids icon_smile.gif My birthday is in August, so maybe I can get my ka then..... icon_rolleyes.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 25

I love my KA! I cream the crisco with the other liquid ingredients until they are well mixed and then put in the rest of the dry. I love that I can start it and walk away to get something else. Go for the largest KA you can get you will not be dissappointed.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterm

Thanks for the info! You know I don't even know what ka model she has. I look forward to trying it out! I may be over at my parents every week to make my class icing-hey, they can play with one of the grandkids icon_smile.gif My birthday is in August, so maybe I can get my ka then..... icon_rolleyes.gif

We're all warning ya...... you will NEVER go back to a hand held once you use a KA! I got my daughter one for Christmas and she said not only was everything blended better, but she could be mashing potatoes and make gravy at the same time!!! Or she could be mashing potatoes and tend to her 4 year old latest demand, uh I mean "request"! Letting the machine do the work is liberating!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterm

We're all warning ya...... you will NEVER go back to a hand held once you use a KA! I got my daughter one for Christmas and she said not only was everything blended better, but she could be mashing potatoes and make gravy at the same time!!! Or she could be mashing potatoes and tend to her 4 year old latest demand, uh I mean "request"! Letting the machine do the work is liberating!

I have asked for the hand held little KA mixer, just for the quick things, but mashing potatoes at thanksgiving was WONDERFUL!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:48pm
post #11 of 25

I cream my butter and Crisco on speed 6 (medium) until it's fluffy (a few minutes).

Then I add all my liquids using the lowest speed until blended and then on speed 6 until it's fluffy again.

I stop the KA, add 1/2 of the powdered sugar and mix well on low speed. Once well mixed I turn KA to 6 and whip it a few minutes.

I stop the KA again, add remaining powdered sugar, mix well on low speed unitl blended and then on speed 6 until well mixed.

I turn the KA on low speed for a couple of minutes to release air bubbles.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:59pm
post #12 of 25

It is funny how everyone does it so different with the same mixer....low speed only, higher speeds. Seems they all work! I recently bought a 6qt KA, and I'm still afraid of overmixing thigs...especially the cake batter!

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:06pm
post #13 of 25

Alittle strayed from the subject ,but...what size KA do all of you have or recommend buying? Should I get the largest I can afford or will a 'mid-range" work? I am still a home baker but I am trying to increase my business. What attachments are a 'must' or do they come with all I would need?
Thanks.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:08pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCook

Alittle strayed from the subject ,but...what size KA do all of you have or recommend buying? Should I get the largest I can afford or will a 'mid-range" work? I am still a home baker but I am trying to increase my business. What attachments are a 'must' or do they come with all I would need?
Thanks.

I say go for the biggest you can afford. I really splurged and bought the pro 6 wuart, and I would buy the same one if I was going to do it over. I love it! It is big, but you really don't notice how big after you get used to it.

chaptlps Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:25pm
post #15 of 25

I too would go for the biggest one you can get and also get a second bowl if you can. I have the little 250 but hey it works way better than a handheld any day of the week.

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:59pm
post #16 of 25

Just got the 6 qt. pro - LOVE IT!!!! Mix tripple batches of buttercream easily!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:07pm
post #17 of 25

Well I have two ka, ones the classic 250w and the other is the professional 6quart and I love both of them .. I mainly use the classic for the cake mixes, unless there a big batch to be made, and the pro for all my buttercream .. I am so used to how big the pro is that I dont even think twice about it, unless someone comes to my house and says icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif THATS YOUR MIXER??

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 7:32pm
post #18 of 25

I have the Professional 600 (6 qt.). Love it Love it!!!! If you can afford it, go big. Thankfully my DH talked me into getting the one I got. I have never regreted it. It can mix 3 regular cake mixes at one time. Also, it can mix 2 regular cake mixes with the cake extender added.

sweetcakesva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesva Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:34pm
post #19 of 25

I have the step just below a prof KA and I absolutely love it! I use the Wilton BC recipe and I can make up to a double batch (that is as much as I have tries) and I never go above the speed 4. I cream the crisco, add flavor and then dry ingr. Never letting it whip to long. I haven't missed with it yet!
GO KA AND NEVER GO BACK!!!! I would cry if anything happened to it
I have had mine since 2000 and can't live without it. I even make my pancakes in it because it really makes them fluffy!!

icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

sweetcakesva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesva Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:36pm
post #20 of 25

I agree get the biggest you can and get a 2nd bowl if possible, I wish I had one. You won't be disappointed no matter what you decide. Plus most come with the 3 main attachments I believe. And they come in all those cool colors now!

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 12:58am
post #21 of 25

Is there a model # is should look for? I use an antique Hamilton Beach Model 'G' and will hate to give it up....like 'waterm ' I will be a little worried about the power and learning how to mix all over again. But,hey, that's what it's all about--old dogs learning new tricks! And a bright red KA sitting on my counter ---WOW! Think I could get over the old one real fast-LOL!

waterm Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 12:52pm
post #22 of 25

I mixed the bc with the ka yesterday and I am hooked! I plan to keep using moms until I get my own! I was nervous about overmixing, so I kept it low. I have no air bubbles and great consistency! We will see how it holds up in class tonight with decorating! I have been asked to do a first order cake-3-D fire truck-YIKES! Any ideas on getting the icing that red? icon_eek.gif Thanks again for all the help with ka!

sparkie248 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkie248 Posted 7 May 2007 , 7:26pm
post #23 of 25

I just got the ka 6 pro, but since I started using it, I noticed that I get lumps of either butter or crisco (prob crisco) when I am creaming them together. I use the paddle attachment....any idea what I am doing wrong?

-erin

chaptlps Posted 7 May 2007 , 9:40pm
post #24 of 25

are you creaming them long enough? Sometimes too you have to adjust the height of the paddle or bowl so that you don't get spots that are missing.

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:31am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie248

I just got the ka 6 pro, but since I started using it, I noticed that I get lumps of either butter or crisco (prob crisco) when I am creaming them together. I use the paddle attachment....any idea what I am doing wrong?

-erin

You also need to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula once or twice to make sure you didn't miss any.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%