Almond Extract

Decorating By CajunDaisy Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 10:33pm by ps3884

CajunDaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CajunDaisy Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 37

Can anyone recommend a good almond extract? I have only tried what was available at my local grocery store which is Adams in the 1.5oz bottle and it doesn't last very long in our house. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

36 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 37

I use the genric brand from walmart, which has a great taste!

SweetieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieD Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 37

I have only used the Wilton brand which seemed to work fine, but I am definitely watching this post to see others recommendations!

CajunDaisy Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 37

What size bottle does that one come in? (walmart)

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 37

I dont know if brand matter so much. But I have notice a difference in taste of my stuff when Ive used real vs imitation. I would definatley recommend the real!! thumbs_up.gif

hopesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopesmith Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 37

I like the wilton although when I used only almond it seemed overly sweet. Since then I do 1/2 almond, 1/2 vanilla.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunDaisy

What size bottle does that one come in? (walmart)

2 Ounce bottle, I know it is cheaper than name brand and the walmart you can get the pure not fake!

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 37

I love the stuff from Smart & Final. I need to ask my mom to get me a bottle and send it.

Rachel

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 37

I use McCormick Pure Almond extract that I get at Walmart. I need to find the "mega" bottle of the stuff!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 37

I go to my local restaurant supply store (open to the public though) and buy the big quart bottle of... It is McCormick's brand. It's awesome, but with my addiction to almond, it does't last as long is one would think!

Edited to correct brand name!! Oops! icon_redface.gif

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 37

Sam's club has a pretty big bottle. I believe it is also McCormicks. It is good. I'm not sure if it is real or fake (I am out of it right now). icon_confused.gif

pammelasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammelasue Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 37

Someone on CC once mentioned that Pure (real) Almond extract could trigger a reaction in someone with a nut allergy...you may want to keep both real and imitation on hand just in case.

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 37

I use McCormick's- it's good and strong!

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:14pm
post #14 of 37

Ditto. I use McCormick's also.

CajunDaisy Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:42pm
post #15 of 37

I had wondered if McCormick's was good or not and I didn't even think to look at Sam's! Thanks for the idea.

nia0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nia0524 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:33am
post #16 of 37

Try superiorflavors.com, they have all kinds of great flavors.

CajunDaisy Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:08pm
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nia524

Try superiorflavors.com, they have all kinds of great flavors.

Have you tried some of these flavors? If so, which ones? This site has a lot of different or "odd" flavors to choose from.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:23pm
post #18 of 37

I can't find it at my Sam's Club! Where's it located?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:26pm
post #19 of 37

I use whatever brand I can find but a little goes a LONG way..... I made marshmallow frosting and added 1 tsp. as recommended and the smell and taste of 'cherry' was so overwhelming, even the kids wouldn't eat it and I had to throw it away......

CajunDaisy Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:00pm
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-sissy

I can't find it at my Sam's Club! Where's it located?

I can't find it at our Sam's either. Bummer...

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:09pm
post #21 of 37

my local cake dec. shop sells larger bottles of flavorings ... they get them in bulk and divvy them up in smaller bottles I'm sure, but still are in larger bottles than the grocery carries.

So I don't know the brand, but they sell in a larger clear bottle and I LOVE the flavor it gives, esp. in buttercream. Next time I go I'll ask them what brand it is.

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:15pm
post #22 of 37

My Sam's Club has the bigger bottles of real almond extract (I use it in lots of things). I think the brand is Tones though. It works very well for me. I've used it in fudge, cookies, cake, etc. It's in the same aisle as the spices and vanilla, assuming your Sams carries it at all.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:15pm
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I use whatever brand I can find but a little goes a LONG way..... I made marshmallow frosting and added 1 tsp. as recommended and the smell and taste of 'cherry' was so overwhelming, even the kids wouldn't eat it and I had to throw it away......

The gar..bage...? Are you trying to KILL me? icon_cry.gif I can't get enough almond in mine!! Sorry you didn't care for it, but I am an addict, so if you ever use too much again... icon_wink.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:19pm
post #24 of 37

I use the CK brand and love it!

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:24pm
post #25 of 37

In my Sam's the extracts are located on the same aisle as the sugar, flour, etc.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:28pm
post #26 of 37

I buy my vanilla at Sam's, but they don't carry almond at my store or on-line at the Sam's Club site. Darn it!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:56am
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

The gar..bage...? Are you trying to KILL me? icon_cry.gif I can't get enough almond in mine!! Sorry you didn't care for it, but I am an addict, so if you ever use too much again... icon_wink.gif

icon_redface.gif I shall remember next time.....now this is going to sound odd but I think I am watching too much Criminal Intent.I remember everytime there is a cyanide death, they talk about how it smells like sweet almonds so almond extract reminds me of cyanide. Of course, the extract doesn't smell like almonds, it smells like cherry. icon_confused.gif Anyway, I hate it....my kids hate it.... blech! But I will say adding it to cookie dough is great but I am a big fan of the bouquet stuff.....yum! And that is a mixture so who knows.

squirre72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squirre72 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:11am
post #28 of 37

People! Have you tried the vanilla extract from the Dominican Republic? To me is the best! You should try it someday. Since I got this one my kitchen smells like vanilla all the time, is an aroma therapy every time I go there. I read on a web site that the best vanilla extract in the world is the one from Mexico cause the origin of the vanilla bean was in Mexico. I've never tried this one from Mexico but I will one of these days.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:24am
post #29 of 37

My mom got a bottle of Mexican vanilla from a friend who visited there. That stuff was great! Nothing else comes close to the taste. Just be careful when buying it because some Mexican vanilla has additives. I couldn't remember what is was so I looked it up at
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/vanilla.htm. It says,

"Coumarin is used extensively in synthetic vanillas manufactured in Mexico. The U.S. banned imports of the coumarin laced products back in the 1950's. Unfortunately the products still make their way into the U.S.

If you purchase any Mexican vanilla make sure it is clearly labeled "courmarin free".

If you get the real stuff, you will love it.

I am a big fan of creme bouquet. I put a drop of this stuff in everythingI make.

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:45am
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammelasue

Someone on CC once mentioned that Pure (real) Almond extract could trigger a reaction in someone with a nut allergy...you may want to keep both real and imitation on hand just in case.

I never would have thought about that!!! Thanks for the info. I probably would've killed my uncle in just a matter of weeks. I don't think he'd actually die but he's very cautious not to eat anything nutty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%