Cake Mix Extender

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 10 Mar 2007 , 3:13am by 2cakes

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 29

Ok this weekend I think I am going to try the cake mix extender recipe. I have never used this before so just a few questions ...

I know it says in the recipe that it makes a boxed cake mix taste like scratch, I have always used boxed mixes and thats what my family is used too .. how different will this cake taste?

I want to make an 11X15 sheet cake ... would two boxes and the cake mix extender do the job? I would like a tall cake, but not necessarily a double layer cake ..

The recipe calls for either yogurt or sour cream .. If I use low-fat yogurt, and want to make a white cake, would I buy vanilla yogurt or what flavor? I don't eat yogurt myself .. is there a better choice for white cake?

Thanks for any help!

28 replies
Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 29

Taste ~ delicious!

11 x 15 ~ one box with the extender is plenty

Sourcream vs. yogurt ~ I've only used sour cream but if I used yogurt I would probably use plain. I would think that vanilla would taste good too.

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 29

I use this with all my box mixes. It tastes wonderful. I use sour cream; never tried yogurt.
2 boxes with 2 extenders (which is what I would do) will make a tall 11 x 15 plus some cupcakes or a 6" cake.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 29

it might depend on the height you need....I use it for a 9x13 and get a full perfect height....

you may need to use 2 like jdelectables said....and any extra put in a small pan and have for yourself icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 29

so it sounds like majority uses sour cream ... ick .. can you taste the sour cream in the cake at all? no one in my family likes sour cream .. or yogurt for that matter .. LOL .. it is only for my brothers party/cookout this weekend but would like to start experimenting with other cake mixes rather then just the plain old boxed cake like always!

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 29

I've not tried the cake extender, but when I've added either sour cream or yogurt to other recipes, it doesn't usually make much of a taste difference. It may cut the sweet down a lot. I'd probably have to try one with and one without side by side to remember for sure. Anyway, the extra protein in them helps to hangs on to moisture for a moister cake. It shouldn't taste like sour cream or yogurt when you're done. Hope that helps.

kbrown99 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 29

I'm sorry, that was supposed to say it may cut down the sweet some. Not "a lot". Sorry about the confusion. Sometimes my hands get ahead of my head.

TheCakerator Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 29

thats ok I can completely understand! So basically the outcome should be a moister not so sweet cake .. doesnt sound like a bad deal, and hey, after all, its only for family icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 29

I use this for all my white cakes! I use vanilla yogurt, not sour cream. I have never tried sour cream but will after reading all these posts! HA! Also, I use two cake mixes with the extenders and put it all in the pan. Then I just cut the top off the cake after it's baked. It makes a nice high and square level cake. Just perfect! The taste is wonderful! I don't use it for chocolate though. I tried this and it took some of the chocolate flavor away. Anna

nl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nl3 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 29

You can try cream cheese. It has to be the real thing, don't use the 1/3 less fat or fat free. If you do, you cake will be way too soft. I play around with cake mix quite a bit, sometimes I use sour cream, sometimes I use cream chees, both turn out pretty good and you can't taste the difference. icon_biggrin.gif

kbrown99 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 29

That's been my experience anyway.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 29

Ok where can this recipe for the cake extender be found? Thanks in advance I think I'll try it I hate the heigth of some of my cakes especially the 9x13............................

kbrown99 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:06pm
post #13 of 29

It's here in the CC recipes at:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-0-Cake-Mix-extender.html

Hope that helps.

For chocolate mixes, you can probably just add some extra cocoa to keep more chocolate flavor.

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:09pm
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl3

You can try cream cheese. It has to be the real thing, don't use the 1/3 less fat or fat free. If you do, you cake will be way too soft. I play around with cake mix quite a bit, sometimes I use sour cream, sometimes I use cream chees, both turn out pretty good and you can't taste the difference. icon_biggrin.gif

Is that an 8 oz package of room temp cream cheese that's mixed in w/ the rest of the ingredients?

kbrown99 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:10pm
post #15 of 29

I forgot to say also:

If you're adding fat to a recipe, you may need to add a little extra flour. Fats and sugars tenderize a cake. If you don't need that already, it may make it too tender and fall apart. So, you may have to experiment a little.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:12pm
post #16 of 29

I use the sour cream and you can not taste it at all. I thought the same thing that you did but it just makes for a nice moist cake. I love the texture that it gives it too. When I make the chocolate cake I always just cut back about 1/4 cup of the flour and add 1/4 cup of cocoa. MMMM.....it is great. Everyone loves it!!! thumbs_up.gif

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:12pm
post #17 of 29

I've used 2 boxes + extender to make an 11x15 and about 12 cupcakes...

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:21pm
post #18 of 29

I used the cake mix extender for a white cake and for a triple chocolate fudge cake last week, using whole milk yogurt for the chocolate and lite sour cream for the white, and both were delicious. They were moister/less crumb-y than without the extender, and I couldn't taste either yogurt or sour cream.

One mix plus extender made a nice tall 9 x 13. It would make a really short 11 x 15.

RedPanda

nl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nl3 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:27pm
post #19 of 29

Yes it is one 8 oz pk of cream cheese. If you forgot to take it out of the fridge you can remove the tin foil and warm it in the microwave for about 10 sec full power. thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 8:00pm
post #20 of 29

thanks for the replies everyone!

Steady2Hands Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:33am
post #21 of 29

Adding sour cream does result in a moist cake. I can not taste it in the cake.

FYI ~ I added sour cream to some homemade banana muffin batter. The ladies I shared them with went on and on about how moist they were. One lady asked my secret and so I told her I added sour cream to them. She said, "you can never go wrong with sour cream". thumbs_up.gif

dachmonroe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dachmonroe Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:02am
post #22 of 29

Would this cake need to be refrigerated, because it was baked with sour cream?

Steady2Hands Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:32pm
post #23 of 29

No it does not need to be refrigerated thumbs_up.gif

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:55pm
post #24 of 29

No, you cna't taste the sour cream. I'm not a huge fan of it either and thought....GROSS, sour cream in cake?!?!? But it works and it makes for a very moist cake!

dachmonroe Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 7:16pm
post #25 of 29

Ok, so do you think this would be good to use in a wedding cake, or should I just stick with the box mix?

Steady2Hands Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 7:33pm
post #26 of 29

I think it's great for a wedding cake thumbs_up.gif

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 7:51pm
post #27 of 29

I agree with Steady2hands! I think it tastes much better than a standard cake mix. That is what I always did, a cake mix. Untill I found this extender recipe! It's so delicious!! I would definately suggest using it for a wedding cake! Good luck! Anna

dachmonroe Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:01am
post #28 of 29

Thanks, I need all the luck I can get!

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:13am
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown99

I forgot to say also:

If you're adding fat to a recipe, you may need to add a little extra flour. Fats and sugars tenderize a cake. If you don't need that already, it may make it too tender and fall apart. So, you may have to experiment a little.

Are you referring to the cream cheese as being the fat additive ingredient or are you referring to the cream cheese and sour cream or yogurt? Just curious cause I have cream cheese, but none of the other two mentioned in the cake mix extender. I would like to try doing this with a cake from scratch recipe. I wonder how it would turn out, I'll try it in my spare time and let everyone know how it turn out. TIA icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%