Couldn't Get Icing Smooth?

Decorating By Price Updated 24 Jan 2006 , 5:32pm by cakemommy

sabbrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabbrina Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 4:48am
post #31 of 45

I have also used a fan tail brush to get my icing smooth. I bought a fan tail brush from the craft dept. just to be used on cakes. I store it with my tips and icing pastes.

To work this method ice your cake and let it crust. Then get a glass of very hot water and drip the brush into it. Slide it up the side of the glass (out of the water) to let some of the water run off the brush. Then just start brushing away any wrinkles in your cake. Have a papper towel handy so that you can wipe away the icing on the brush before you re-dip it in your water. If an area still needs work, then let it crust over and do it again.

Below is a picture of the cake that I used this method for. I actually had someone comment and ask me how I got the icing that smooth icon_smile.gif
LL

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 4:49am
post #32 of 45

what is a fan tailed brush?

NMyers01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NMyers01 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 5:00am
post #33 of 45

A fan tailed brush, also known as just a fan brush is a paint brush with it's bristles in a single fan like shape at the head, or brush end.

sabbrina Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 5:04am
post #34 of 45

Here is a picture of one:

http://63.210.199.178/09/77/2/97721.jpg.fpx?qlt=70&wid=144&cvt=jpeg

I hope that is clickable. This is the first time I have posted a link icon_smile.gif

vicki0052 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki0052 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 5:06am
post #35 of 45

Hi: Wouldn't this leave lines in the icing?

sabbrina Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 5:08am
post #36 of 45

Hi Vicki - I have very small lines that were only noticable if one looked really closely.

When I was done with the cake it had the look of fondant. Very smooth and pretty icon_smile.gif

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 5:16am
post #37 of 45

I use a variety of painting brushes only used for cakes on my character cakes too. Really helps smooth the frosting since i don't do star tip character cakes.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 6:01am
post #38 of 45

Wow! Lots and lots of different techniques! I'm hesitant to try the fan brush one but I'll just have to do it and see how I like it!!!

Won't holding the putty spatula on the cake board cut and tear the board covering? I would think with the sharp edge it would just slice right through it! I'm still going to try it! I have two cakes to do for Thur and Fri so I'm going to get one tomorrow!

You all are great with these ideas!

Amy

Euphoriabakery Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 6:04am
post #39 of 45

It probably depends on what you cover your board with. It doesn't go through contact paper. But I could see it might cut through foil.

cakemommy Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 6:07am
post #40 of 45

I use the poly foil covers! Maybe it also depends on the amount of pressure you put on the spatula as well. HMMMMM!!! I'm still going to try it!

Sometimes it takes me an hour to smooth the icing on my cake so anything to help the process. 'Course I am pretty meticulous about how I do things so that's why it takes so long sometimes.

Amy

Euphoriabakery Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 6:12am
post #41 of 45

I am the same way, and it took me one try to get it smooth with this method!

cakemommy Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 6:16am
post #42 of 45

WHEW!!! I thought it was just me taking a long time to get some of my cakes smooth!

What about any icing that pushes up on the top of the cake? Do you use it to ice the top as well?

Amy

P.S. Sorry about all the ?'s!!!!

Euphoriabakery Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 6:21am
post #43 of 45

No I use an angled spatula on top and then smooth the top with a Viva paper towel if needed.

But I do the sides first and then push the excess icing over the edge of the cake top and blend the top with more icing.

melony1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony1976 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 6:40am
post #44 of 45

Wow I cant see spending an hour on smoothing I think I'd pull out my hair icon_sad.gif I had tried different things and could never get it smoothed. i didnt want to try the viva method but once I did I was hooked. I even called my DH at work to tell him and I dont spend more than 15 min on the process. icon_smile.gif

cakemommy Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 5:32pm
post #45 of 45

Well, I want my cakes to be perfect and any imperfections in the icing's appearance is going to blow the whole look of the cake!! The cake that I just spent an hour on was 18x24 (the last retirement cake I did with the rope) so the size of the cake more than justified the time it took to smooth!!

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%