Cake Board - What Do You Use To Cover Yours?

Decorating By sabbrina Updated 9 Feb 2006 , 8:06pm by loriemoms

BJsGRL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJsGRL Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 2:12am
post #61 of 68

Does the contact paper tear when the cake is cut? I absolutely love this idea! I am a frequent dollar-store bargain hunter, so am always picking up cute wrapping paper "just-in-case." I would love to try this on an up-coming cake!

As for the tiles, are these used as the cake board itself, or are they mounted onto a cakeboard? This, too, is very intriguing - I will be going to Menard's real soon!

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Tina

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 4:08am
post #62 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJsGRL

Does the contact paper tear when the cake is cut? I absolutely love this idea! I am a frequent dollar-store bargain hunter, so am always picking up cute wrapping paper "just-in-case." I would love to try this on an up-coming cake!

As for the tiles, are these used as the cake board itself, or are they mounted onto a cakeboard? This, too, is very intriguing - I will be going to Menard's real soon!

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Tina

No, the contact paper is plastic or vinyl, fairly thick and doesn't tear, it is really tough to cut through with a knife.
Hugs Squirrelly

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 1:22am
post #63 of 68

I found at a local dollar store a pretty good selection of contact paper that is printed. they have a variey of designs and that way you are only covering a board one time. i love contact paper. It is what I use for nearly every cake. It is very easy to use and you can do several cakes with a roll.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 3:42am
post #64 of 68

Royal icing, fondant, material- whatever I find that goes with the theme/cake.

I love doing designs with royal icing on the board.

I finish the edge of the board with a ribbon unless I use material.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 1:58pm
post #65 of 68

I just find another way to coordinate the board with the cake when you can't find the paper to match...disposable table napkins.

Just get the theme napkins that they will be using for the b-day or shower and cover the boards...have to match the ends but that is easy and quick thumbs_up.gif

I used the sports theme napkins on the last football cake I did.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 12:28am
post #66 of 68

I'm soooo excited! My husband brought home about 7 or 8 -7 foot pieces of 3/4" foam core for me to use for my cakes. : ) This is very heavy and will look so great cut to size and wrapped in fabric, covered in contact paper, with a beautiful ribbon around the base. It's just perfect and funny because of the timing. After reading so many of these posts about how to fancy up a cake board and then he grabs these from work! They had been used for presentations and the company was going to pitch them. Can't beat free! I figure a fancy board will be just one more way to stand out as a premium decorator.
When I have a few covered and ready to share I'll post a couple either here or on my cake blog. : ) I need to go buy a glue gun first!

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 2:18pm
post #67 of 68

I cover my wooden boards with white contact paper. Most of my clients are friends and family, so I get the boards back. I thought I came up with an original idea for saving money----then I joined CC. Boy was I wrong!!!! icon_lol.gif I love the wrapping paper and tile ideas!!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 8:06pm
post #68 of 68

Has anyone ever used the cake board trim, to just cover the edges of the cake board? Sounds like it would be nice for tiered cakes..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%